+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Trying to help welders get jobs worldwide - Need advice

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Trying to help welders get jobs worldwide - Need advice

My name is Jeff and I currently work for a company that makes high end aluminum truck boxes, flatbeds, service bodies etc. We are growing, so management set out to hire more experienced aluminum welders (this is in Southern Oregon so there's isn't a huge pool of experienced aluminum welders to pull from). We did get many people responding to our Craigslist ad, but when they were given a test, most of them couldn't weld aluminum with anywhere near the skill that they claimed they could.

I am in their sales department, but I'm also an entrepreneur and I saw this as a problem that I wanted to solve. I am working with a couple of people who know HR and web design and we are putting together a site that will connect employers anywhere in the world with the trades people they really need.

This is where I need your help! We are going to offer employment seekers a profile which will allow you to show off your skills and experience and not just a resume. We will offer you a chance to make and upload a video of you doing your craft, live, and explaining what you are doing in technical terms. This will give remote (it could be from Detroit to Oregon and not just internationally) employers the opportunity to see you in action and be able to judge your skills from your actual work instead of an application or resume.

You will also be able to upload pictures of your previous work and send an email from the system to current or former employers or G.C.'s that you've worked for who will post a referral for you. You will also be able to use a system of check boxes that will outline your skill in each of the disciplines of your trade and how many years you have experience in each discipline. This will give you a score so you will know where you rank amongst other candidates in your trade. Employers will be able to see your score, video, pictures and reference links and have a much better idea of what kind of fit you will be for their company. The website will be free to job seekers.

I'm on this board to find out from you, what other kinds of things can we do to help you show off your skills and experience? What else can we offer in your profile to help you stand out from all of the other tradesmen out there? Any information or advice you can offer will only make this site easier for tradespeople to find their ultimate job anywhere in the world. I look forward to hearing from as many of you as possible. Thanks in advance.

Jeff Williams
    jsw_548@hotmail.com

Coronado. CA across the bay from San Diego, CA
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Trying to help welders get jobs worldwide - Need advice

Welcome Aboard, anything that can be done to help others gain employment is a good deed.
    The world needs more doers of good deeds.
    I offer three choices: Good, Fast, & Cheap. You may pick two.

Hobart AC/DC StikMate LX
    Harbor Freight AD Hood
    Harbor Freight Industrial Chop Saw
    DeVilbis 20 Gallon, 5 HP Compressor

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist