Thread: 6g Pipe test

Post Thanks / Like

6g Pipe test

I live in NY and want to get my 6g pipe cert for steel. Probably going to go tig root with stick fill and cover. When I was in school we ran everything vertical up. Is it acceptable that way or do they prefer the bead to flow in one direction? Does it even matter if the weld passes? Should I look more into a 6010 open root test? What's the best diameter to go with? Or is there one that covers unlimited diameters like plate tests? Any info helps thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 6g Pipe test

2 inch super coupon (2-3/4” OD X 5/8” wall) is a pretty popular test these days. Either TIG/7018- all uphill, or TIG all the way-uphill.

Just curious, what do you expect to do with this cert? You'll still have to test everywhere you go...

Post Thanks / Like

The union I am supposed to get into said if I get that I'll be more likely to get a job. I know all the places that are worth anything test you regardless but a lot of them seem to want the cert before they test you. Thanks for the info man.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh I can see that. Companies like to have some confidence that you will / can pass their test. Most union contractors have to pay for the test, and your wages to take the test. I would look into getting 6-G open root with Tig, and 6010. That will open some doors for you.
    Donít pay any attention to me
    Iím just a hobbyist!

Carl

Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry I don't want to hijack your thread.

Is one test better than the other? Super coupon compared to say a 6" pipe test?
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

A 2" extra heavy wall in 6G can give you 3 certs with just one weld. All position, heavy wall and small bore.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Dave

What's the average time a super coupon takes?

Post Thanks / Like

It's been a while but there is a time limit. A 6" 2g/5G is 3.5 hours and I think a 2" is 2 1/2 hours with 6010 root and 7018 fill. It seems like a lot of time but isn't. Every step from positioning the piece to the tacks is checked and you can be failed on your tacks! I am not positive the 2" retest gives you unlimited wall thickness. One thing to note in Alberta(anyway) is that your initial "B-Pressure" test has to be done on 6" in the 2G/5G position and you have to have your journeyman welder status before you can attempt it. You don't have a TIG root option. All other processes or materials have to be obtained after the initial 6010/7018 test. There is an exception though. As a registered apprentice, if your employer thinks you're good enough, you can get a "C" ticket that is only good for that shop and only until you become a journeyman. The test is the same but once you get your journeyman status you have to retest to get your B ticket. B tickets have to be renewed every 2 years or every 6 month's if you're not working.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info Dave, I appreciate it.

Most (if not all) shops around here (Raleigh) want to certify you through them. Which doesn't get you much but a job. As a new employee, they all want you to take a test regardless to.
    I'm looking for a certification card, something I can carry. Showing that will impress most employers and in turn will open up more doors as well as up your pay.

Post Thanks / Like

Showing that you've done it doesn't hurt. What used to bother me(still does) is guys that really embellish their resume's and the employers believe it like it's the gospel. You can put what ever you want on a piece of paper but that doesn't mean you can actually do it. A cert that you have successfully done it shows you have skill but there is still no substitute for a job test. Then the employer can see first hand what kind of skills you have. I haven't always got the job doing a job test but have seen guys hired that don't live up to their own hype. I think taking your helmet and work clothes to an interview and doing or at least suggesting a weld test could impress the person giving the interview.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree, having a cert but also taking an in house test will prove more in the long run.
    You would be amazed at how many people around here say they can weld. Its pretty sad.
    I always carry my hat and tungsten, hah.