Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tig Welding the top of a tube -- help...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tig Welding the top of a tube -- help...

Quote Originally Posted by motolife313 View Post
    That looks real good!! Now practice on 1/16 sense that tube your trying to weld is 1/16
    One of the things I figured out when doing the 1/8" aluminum is that I need a better joint on the tube, especially for 1/16" aluminum. I was cutting the disks using a hole saw, and it had the effect of beveling out the edge of the disk. With the straight metal, there is a nice 90* grove to fill in, but not on the tube. Instead, although it looked like a nice snug fit, there really wasn't much metal at all at the edge of the disk, so almost like welding into a gap, or trying to weld a beer can to bike... I'll work on that next and keep practicing in the meantime. Very much appreciate all the input. As internet discussion boards go, you've all been refreshingly nice, literate, and extremely helpful. Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like

I used to make up a bunch of alum spools for diving. Basically 2 alum disks on each end of a rod. Before I got my lathe, I'd cut them out with a hole saw in my bench top mill, then sand the bevel down on my disk sander using the drill to spin the dish so I'd try and keep it as round as possible. I thought about getting one of the carbide tipped hole saws from lenox. Lowes used to sell, but they weren't in stock in the size I needed the next time a job came around. They would have milled a nicer edge. I also though of cutting the disk using a fly cutter in the mill, but never had the time to play with it much. With the lathe, I just cut the disks on the hole saw and put it on an arbor in the lathe and clean up the edges. You could probably do a single one with a file and file to a scribed line on a slightly over sized disk reasonably easy.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

I still cant understand why you have so much weld on there? if the fit is good you should
    be able to fuse the joint with almost no filler at all?

Miller Dynasty 350
    Twenty Six Hammers

Three Crow Bars

Big Rock

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  IMG_2905.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  57.3 KB

this is very thin material so you can see it can be done just slow down and sneak up on the puddle....when it looks like
    its going to over heat let off and start again keeping the filler ready for a quick dab......I know its frustrating but thin aluminum takes time to master
    Last edited by B_C; 02-04-2015 at 02:09 PM.

Miller Dynasty 350
    Twenty Six Hammers

Three Crow Bars

Big Rock

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by B_C View Post
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]

this is very thin material so you can see it can be done just slow down and sneak up on the puddle....when it looks like
    its going to over heat let off and start again keeping the filler ready for a quick dab......I know its frustrating but thin aluminum takes time to master
    Wow, good thing no one in my neighborhood could do that when I was a kid in the 70s. Our pop can tennis ball cannons would have been deadly! Though they were tin cans at that time I guess.

Post Thanks / Like

Tom, maybe consider making a cheap, stone axe simple manual positioner? Our guys make them out of all kinds of stuff. Old trailer axle hubs are popular; cut off everything you don't want, make a mount for a table, or a 2" trailer receiver. They make landing pads to bolt on small flanges, and simple mini vises, and one guy had me weld up a vise grip laid sideways on a small pedestal so he could grab small pipe nipples and the like and turn them easily by just nudging it with his wrist as he went along.
    And then, after so much work...... you have it in your hand, and you look over to your side...... and the runner has run off. Leaving you holding the prize, wondering when the runner will return.

Post Thanks / Like

How does this look to those with a more discerning eye? It's probably my best TIG weld around an aluminum tube yet, and certainly helped by the thick base, but very curious to hear how it looks to a good/experienced welder? Constructive input is welcome...

Name:  tube weld.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  32.9 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Bead looks cold from what I can see, especially on the right hand side, lower toe.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

Some good suggestions getting thrown out here. A positioner is the ultimate solution but they don't come cheap. I know, I've been looking for one myself. I'd say the most important thing to consider here (and everywhere) is to get as comfortable as possible and take your time. Set up some sort of stand thats a good height for you and something that allows you to attack a 1/4 pass at a time. Thats a respectable amount of coverage, it allows you to spread out your heat by jumping to the opposite side after your first pass and you can blend your starts/stops in by traveling in the same direction for each pass. A problem that a lot of people run into with round is trying to bight off too much at once, not to say it can't be done, but for us non-pipe wizards, we should embrace our limits. When I used to teach welding classes, the point I would stress the absolute most to my students was to get as comfortable as possible. Do a few dry runs to make sure nothing gets in your way and you won't get snagged on anything. This REALLY helps, I do it every day before I squeeze. Another consideration is to give yourself more of a fillet. Maybe bevel your cap less so you have a little more real-estate to lay a bead in. This will be a little more forgiving and allow you to make more adjustments as you go. GOOD LUCK!!

Post Thanks / Like

Nice improvement!! It looks like the pipe and plate are pretty dirty. Clean it much better. I have been finding out you gota take AL cleaning and prep really serious!!!! I usually preheat for about a minute or so just to get the piece to about 150 degree or higher so your not welding on cold AL. Try putting 2 more passes on there and run them a little hotter and post the pics. Try carbide burring the area your going to weld.

Post Thanks / Like

You're looking for a flat bead face with good wetting at the toes, so a touch cold/fast, try slowing down and weaving ever so slightly.
    SqWave 200
    Millermatic 190
    Airco 200 AC
    Hypertherm PM45
    Boice-Crane Band Saw
    Victor O/A