+ Reply to Thread

Thread: HF UNO MIG Question

Post Thanks / Like

HF UNO MIG Question

I have an old HF mig welder that I bought in early '90s. It is a UNO Mig model. I used it to weld 1/8" aluminum plates (argon gas, .035 alum wire) in shelves for scientific equipment. I disassembled and cleaned it last year (it was underwater for 18 hours in a flood) and replaced all electrical connectors and now everything looks good. My question to the experts here is can I run .030 Lincoln steel flux wire in this welder? I still have the original 'owners manual' but typical of early HF manuals, it is almost useless and looks like it was copied on a bad copier and stapled together. An unrelated afterthought is that this welder actually did run some decent aluminum beads and I still have one of the old shelves and I'll post a picture next time.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: HF UNO MIG Question

if youve been able to weld aluminum with it you you should have no problems going to flux core. just change polarity to from DCEP to DCEN and check to see if you should flip the wire feed wheel around since you are going from .35 to .30 wire.

i tried some alu mig welding with my 151. boy was it difficult.
    if anyone was unwilling to work, neither should that one eat - 2 Thessalonians 3:10

Post Thanks / Like

I would have to agree. It's as simple as changing the polarity. Also, I wanted to ask if you could take some pictures of your unit and post them. What's the part number of your welder? Thanks.
    Chicago Electric 131 Dual MIG Welder 120V
    http://www.gr8lakeinnovations.com
    2x Associates of Automotive Technology: Transmission Technician & Under Car Technician
    Associates of Electrical Engineering Technology

Post Thanks / Like

It has been a long while ,so my memory may not be correct.
    If it is a 20000 series it may a different critter than the 50000 series.
    There was a Uno Mig series in about the late 80s that was made in Italy.
    I think there was a Uno Mig series made in the late 90s that was a 100amp model,that was almost the same as the 100a models that they sell now.
    What is the amp rating of the one you have ?

Post Thanks / Like

I've just sold my UNO MIG after 32-years of faithful use. Upgraded to TIG.
    About 20-years ago, I upgraded output with large capacitor, really smoothed out arc and gave nice smooth sizzle.
    Then 10-years ago, speed-controller board died. I replaced it with digital PWM controller. Much better control at lower speeds and more torque too.

Anyway, here's manual I scanned for everyone's use. Covers: Easy MIG, MIG-I, MIG-II / UNO MIG, Dual MIG-120, CEMIG 140T, 160T and 170T
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gbT...ew?usp=sharing

6. Likes California liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The company on last page website is https://www.unitrainc.com

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by dannoxyz View Post
    I've just sold my UNO MIG after 32-years of faithful use. Upgraded to TIG.
    About 20-years ago, I upgraded output with large capacitor, really smoothed out arc and gave nice smooth sizzle.
    Then 10-years ago, speed-controller board died. I replaced it with digital PWM controller. Much better control at lower speeds and more torque too.

Anyway, here's manual I scanned for everyone's use. Covers: Easy MIG, MIG-I, MIG-II / UNO MIG, Dual MIG-120, CEMIG 140T, 160T and 170T
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gbT...ew?usp=sharing

Post Thanks / Like

those instructions are not all that bad compared to what is supplied with their chicom machines!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist