+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Off site aluminum welding Millermatic 30a spoolgun options

Post Thanks / Like

Off site aluminum welding Millermatic 30a spoolgun options

Hi all. New to the site and having a bit of a welding dilemma. I need to weld 1/2"-3/4" aluminum away from any decent power supply on a budget. I have considered running a miller 250x off of a 10k watt generator but fear for the circuit boards life and I don't currently own said generator. I've searched CL and am finding welder generators for as little as $400 and was wondering if one of those could possibly power my Millermatic 30a industrial spool gun. I'm new to the world of welding so any information I can get out of this would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Off site aluminum welding Millermatic 30a spoolgun options

Check my Sig, the goweld I have may fit your needs. It will run off a couple car batteries or almost any welding power supply.
    Tiger Sales: AHP Distributor www.tigersalesco.com
    AHP200x; AHP 160ST; MM350P, Spoolmatic 30A; Everlast PowerTig 185; Thermal Dynamics 60i plasma.
    For Sale: Cobra Mig 250 w/ Push-pull gun. Lincoln Wirematic 250

Post Thanks / Like

rediarc rents welders for that couple hundred bucks for a week for the low end ones and 400$ a week for a trailblazer.

i just went and google goweld dam thats not bad for the price i think i might want one of those. How does it weld ?
    Last edited by abec; 02-16-2015 at 08:35 PM.
    High Octane Welding

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by abec View Post
    rediarc rents welders for that couple hundred bucks for a week for the low end ones and 400$ a week for a trailblazer.

i just went and google goweld dam thats not bad for the price i think i might want one of those. How does it weld ?
    They work really well. Should under $50 to ship it if you are interested. So figure about $450 all together shipped. The tip is always hot so when you release the trigger, just pull the gun back a bit. Standard or heavy duty Tweco tips both work in it.
    AHP200x; AHP 160ST; MM350P, Spoolmatic 30A; Everlast PowerTig 185; Thermal Dynamics 60i plasma.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is the best part. made in USA Excellent customer service too. They are located in Rancho Cucamonga, CA. Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1424137882648.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  30.0 KB

Post Thanks / Like

dam so tempting i wish im just dumping a ton of money into my trucks motor if you still have it in a few months i might have to jump on it.
    High Octane Welding

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the suggestion/offer. It looks like a great tool to have and I wouldn't mind owning it but I don't think it will meet all of my needs for this particular application. I did some research on the product and it's only rated to 1/2" and only allows for wire speed adjustment.

Post Thanks / Like

A better descrption of the joint would help. And depending on the mass the goweld could do the job.

A good preheat above 200 degres and an argon/helium blend, coupled with 5356 filler which burns with exothemic properties due to the magnesium could be your huckleberry.
    Last edited by shovelon; 02-17-2015 at 08:46 AM.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX4ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW200-2ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig2ea,MigMax1ea.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm really just looking for reliable power source options for my current equipment that I am already comfortable using. I'm not crazy about the idea of using batteries and having to factor in charging time and inconsistent performance as they wear down. Great tool/idea, just not for me.

Im working with 3/4" cast aluminum and welding with 4043 wire.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jabfabinc View Post
    I'm really just looking for reliable power source options for my current equipment that I am already comfortable using. I'm not crazy about the idea of using batteries and having to factor in charging time and inconsistent performance as they wear down. Great tool/idea, just not for me.

Im working with 3/4" cast aluminum and welding with 4043 wire.
    If you have a WC 24 or WC 115, you could rent a Trailblazer and run it off that, or rent a generator as you originally suggested and run your 250X off it. Generators generally run welding equipment with no issues. I've run inverter machines off them and had no problems. A 12K generator would run your 250X with no issues. My TB 302 probably would as a matter of fact.

Give your local weld supply a call and see if they have any machines available for rental. Most larger places do.

That's what I would do if I were in your situation.

IMHO of course

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist