Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: I want to move away from my welding career

Post Thanks / Like

Re: I want to move away from my welding career

Meet my wife in college, she was working on a masters degree. She got a full time job at the University and started going to school. Same as you was not enjoying what she was doing and wanted to work with more people. With her accounting degree she was always stuck in a book and not really having people contact . She switched over to education and worked on getting a Doctorate in Education and currently teaches at the University. It was not easy but has been rewarding.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DanRT View Post
    The guy who called me about the job suggested that I wait on the next available job in about a month. He said it might pay more too.

At least you don't feel congested all the time with a weird on and off dull chest pain like I deal with. Why did you continue your welding career after not figuring out what the occasional sharp pain was? The banana thing is pretty interesting too. Most of my waking moments are spent thinking about what I want to do instead of welding and the most frustrating part is that I'm completely clueless. I know I need to try something, but it needs to pay enough for me to keep my house and not suck like where I currently work. I do love welding, but I hate where I work, plus I really don't know what else I can see myself doing. The worst part is I do not understand why my respirator never seems to do its job. I've been told that I am using the correct filters, so I guess the respirator doesn't ever fit properly. I have tried all different size half mask 3M 7500 series respirators with the same congested feeling with each one I try. I'm beyond frustrated with everything. I thought about buying a PAPR as a last, desperate effort, but I don't know.

Thanks, but unfortunately I don't know if I'll be moving there now.

I have been thinking a lot lately about my retirement, even if it is 30+ years away. I feel very bored at work, frustrated and unfulfilled. If I can't keep my career in welding, I want to help people in some way, share my ideas, or generally work around more people/talk to people.
    keep thinking and planning for retirement it will be here before you know it. regardless what you do for a living one day soon you will wonder who the heck that old man in the mirror is and where did the time go?
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

Post Thanks / Like

The last straw was December 3rd. I made the decision to quit my welding job of 4 years to pursue other ventures in my life. I don't make decisions like that on a whim, hell, if you knew me you would know that I always make calculated, rational decisions, at least when it comes to my income or other important life altering things. I tried to hang on as long as I could until I found a new job. It was foolish to quit before I had something lined up, but I wouldn't have done it if I wasn't as unhappy, unpaid, unappreciated and overly stressed out as I was. It became a toxic and overly stressful part of my life and while I don't need to rationalize my decision to anyone since I know that it was something I needed to do. It wasn't what I wanted to do for the rest of my life and I don't ever want to feel stuck or that I'm just working my life away. If working is all I'm here for then why be alive? I feel a great weight has been lifted off my shoulders. So the aftermath, I'm going to apply for unemployment and hopefully I can get it, I've been applying to all kinds of jobs in the last few days, and I had a phone interview on Friday that went OK. I'm going to really look into starting a small, home based business selling watches since I have become almost obsessed with them over the last few months. I'm also finishing up with setting up my garage to do some welding work.

Post Thanks / Like

You quit your job then apply for unemployment?????

I hope they slam the door in your face.
    Seriously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Post Thanks / Like

Why or how would I apply for unemployment before I didn't have a job. Also, I have never, ever been on unemployment.

Post Thanks / Like

Why or how would I apply for unemployment before I didn't have a job. Also, I have never, ever been on unemployment.
    I'm just going by what YOU posted.
    And further more,
    Yes, thats all any of us are here for.
    To work and pay bills.
    Welcome to the real world, Kid.

The last straw was December 3rd. I made the decision to quit my welding job

If working is all I'm here for then why be alive? I feel a great weight has been lifted off my shoulders. So the aftermath, I'm going to apply for unemployment and hopefully I can get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Post Thanks / Like

You do know unemployment isn't free money you get for not working, it's insurance against your employer cutting your hours/job due to lack of work.

Post Thanks / Like

It's been two months how are you doing. Hope all is well, my guess is it's been tough. It's all surviveable as long as your alive and healthly. I have been through this same thing twice , stay positive and fight to get ahead .

Post Thanks / Like

I've been a welder for 4 years and I think I would be much happier having it as a hobby or just doing some work for myself in the form of a small, part time business. Has anyone changed their career from welding to something else?
    i was a millwright welder for 20 years, then a maintenance machinist for 12 years, took some cnc night school classes and now i have been a cnc machinist for over 3 years.
    as i got older i did not want to work outside in the rain and the snow. and working on the floor or up on the roof or on high steel gets harder when older. i kind of like being in a temperature controlled shop.
    if you find other jobs that are only slightly different you can transition from one type of job to another. i made $61,000 last year with working overtime. not bad for a cnc operator.

Post Thanks / Like

A lot has changed since I last posted here. I work for a industrial supply company and it has been great so far. I still weld, but in my own little shop with my own equipment and tools and proper ventilation.

Post Thanks / Like

I remember this thread very well. Hopefully you have found something you can stay with.
    Jerry
    30+ yrs Army Infantry & Field Artillery, 25 yrs ago

Miller 350LX Tig Runner
    TA 210, spool gun
    Lincoln 250/250 IdealArc
    ESAB PCM 500i Plasma
    Kazoo 30" vert BS
    Kazoo 9x16 horiz BS
    Clausing 12x24 lathe
    20T Air Press

Post Thanks / Like

I was never a welder, always a writer. I went to American Machinist, Gases & Welding Distributor and Welding Design & Fabrication as their group managing editor. But, I left to go into marketing and corporate communications. Now, I do content marketing and digital media. Still related fields. But, I did leave industrial/trade for a bit to go to Smucker and PNC. Hated it. Back in manufacturing. Real. Love it and the guys I work with. Our customers are the best.
    Gina M. Tabasso
    HGR Industrial Surplus
    gtabasso@hgrinc.com
    www.hgrinc.com