+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: what size is your shop?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: what size is your shop?

Hahaha

Here's something you'll like. It just a baby compared to the big ones, but she's all mine
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

My shop is exactly like every man's here-It is too small, and just like you, when I built it myself, I was thinkin it would be too big. Even if tomorrow I built one that echoed, it would be too small next week.

That's just the way it goes......Kinda sorta like Boyle's Law where a finite amount of gas will fill a space no matter the size, huh?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wornoutoldwelder View Post
    My shop is exactly like every man's here-It is too small, and just like you, when I built it myself, I was thinkin it would be too big. Even if tomorrow I built one that echoed, it would be too small next week.

That's just the way it goes......Kinda sorta like Boyle's Law where a finite amount of gas will fill a space no matter the size, huh?
    Don't matter how big you go, it'll never be big enough.

My garage is pretty full, near everything is on wheels so that helps. I used to have a surface grinder in there too, but that's been gone for awhile.

Post Thanks / Like

20' X 24' heated and air conditioned, 20' X 18' pad in front ( car port will be add to the pad next month,NOT for the car" and 12' X 24' storage unit in the rear with a 8' X 20' add on.
    www.georgesplasmacuttershop.com
    Plasma Cutter and Welder Sales and Repairs--Ebay store
    Tec.Mo. Dealer Consumables for the PT and IPT torch's

Post Thanks / Like

So I am on my 5th shop.
    1st was as a helper at the body shop 4 bays wide, 2 cars deep for one guy and a helper. Seemed huge, but we managed to fill it occasionally.

Second was 16 x25 with a roll up on a 16' wall. TINY. Couldnt do much more than a drill press and a couple work benches.

Third was 22x50. I am always amazed at what we did in that shop. Roll up was on the 22' wall. It was always tight, but it was just big enough to really work out of.

Fourth is technically current shop. Total of 90 wide but has 3 sections of 35x30, 30x30, and 24x30. For a total of around 2900sqft. Definitely better than anything previous as i got to purpose build most of it, but it is still a compromise as i was fighting with the office folks for footage.

Just signed lease addendum that give me an additional 2200 in a 70x30 chunk.

Having fought with all of these over the years, only thing I can say for sure is depth from the roll up is gold. Right now I have a dock and a ramp both in the 30x30 chunk and I cannot pull in my work truck because of a workbench up against the back wall. 36' is a minimum but 40 is better.
    Multimatic 200
    Ellis 1800
    Haberle S225 9" cold saw
    MM 300; Spoolmate 30A w/ WC-24
    TB 302G
    Dynasty 280 DX Tigrunner

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Drooopy View Post
    Having fought with all of these over the years, only thing I can say for sure is depth from the roll up is gold. Right now I have a dock and a ramp both in the 30x30 chunk and I cannot pull in my work truck because of a workbench up against the back wall. 36' is a minimum but 40 is better.
    I'll say it one more time, while the expense may not seem to be worthwhile, a minimum 40' depth can change a shop into a working delight instead of one that is nearly unusable.
    Lincoln PrecisionTig 275
    Miller 251
    Miller DialArc 250
    Bridgeport mill
    Hossfeld bender & dies
    Logan shaper
    Jet 14 X 40 lathe
    South Bend 9" 'C'
    Hypertherm 900
    Ellis 3000 band saw
    21"Royersford Excelsior
    Two shops, still too many tools.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WyoRoy View Post
    I'll say it one more time, while the expense may not seem to be worthwhile, a minimum 40' depth can change a shop into a working delight instead of one that is nearly unusable.
    +1

Mine is only 32' deep - it makes many things more difficult.

Trying to cut 24' steel in a 26x32 shop is cumbersome at best - saw has to be moved around - need room to move it and still have a big table to work on.

Table is about 5x9 and is on wheels, takes some fiddling around until the metal stack gets cut smaller.

Vehicle length + engine hoist gets tight sometimes.

26' width means the tools on the side walls are very close to any vehicle being worked on (two stalls).

Very little room to move a welder past a vehicle - and the table is now in front of the vehicles.

I think 40x40 will be my new "smallest practical" size requirement
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MetalJunkie View Post
    I have a 30X40 and it is fine. Just a pain in the but to sweep.
    Use a leaf blower

Post Thanks / Like

Mine is 40x72 with 40x45 heated and cooled and the other side is just cold storage thus far. I'd highly reccomend in-floor radiant heat! once you have it you'll never regret it. My next shop will be 60x80 just shop and have another part for storage. I've WAY outgrown this building.Name:  shop.jpg
Views: 670
Size:  56.3 KBName:  floor heat.jpg
Views: 615
Size:  2.3 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    -Doogie

Miller 350P
    Miller Trailblazer 325 EFI w/ Excel Power
    Lincoln LN25 suitcase welder
    XMT 304/22a feeder
    Miller Syncrowave 350LX
    Miller Econotig
    Hobart Handler 140
    (2) Uni-Hydro 42-14
    Hypertherm 65 plasma
    WEBB Gap bed lathe

Post Thanks / Like

128'x40' with 16 ' ceiling. insulated, heated, bathroom and office. The one regret, I didn't make it 50' wide.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by derekpfeiffer View Post
    Mine is 40x72 with 40x45 heated and cooled and the other side is just cold storage thus far. I'd highly reccomend in-floor radiant heat! once you have it you'll never regret it. My next shop will be 60x80 just shop and have another part for storage. I've WAY outgrown this building.
    In-floor heating is awesome

Only worked in one that had it - wish mine did.
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Post Thanks / Like

I work out of a measly 25x36 shop. A dog house to most of you.
    12v battery, jumper cables, and a 6013.
    Tube channel: https://youtube.com/@VPTfab

Post Thanks / Like

I was just thinking back to my first work area and it was under a big walnut tree. However when it rained or was bad weather , I had to cover stuff up with a tarp. Then I moved up in the world and got to use an 8 x 12 shed. Sometimes big is not always better . I believe if I had one of the new 65 x 600 ft long poultry houses like they are building in our county , I could eventually fill it up with stuff if I lived long enough.

I like the post on the heated floor. Other threads on bi-fold doors and all the information you guys have provided. Thanks for sharing.

We have been going from Ice to 10 inches snow to 70 degree yesterday to Ice again today here in Alabama. I checked our metal building and everything inside looks like it has rained due to temperature changes. Drill Press Table has actually rusted (surface rust ) in three days. Our humidity is so high here in Alabama . Our building is well insulated other than the roll up doors . Other than putting in HVAC for the tractors and tools , does anybody have a good suggestion on how to control this? ( Move to a drier state????) We thought about enclosed another insulated room in the barn and putting all the tools , welders in and running a dehumidifier most of the time. Richey

Post Thanks / Like

OOps didn't finish. In later years as our business grew we went to a 30 x 40 which seems like a football field compared to where we started. When we out grew out of it in the 70s we rented half of an 80x 80 and then we were in tall cotton. Grew some more and build an 80x 200 with over head 10 ton cranes in the early 80s . That was too small added on 80w x 100 feet. Before we sold in 91 we were thinking ...........What were we thinking?.....We needed a 200x 600 cause we had run out of space. Items we handled were sub assembled and again we would be out on the yard having to use 60 ton cranes to assemble and complete the job. If it rained or was bad weather we had no where to work. That's why I made the statement that what size is the right size . I have a friend that teaches welding at the tech school and his home shop for his part time business is 30 x 30. Well organized and he sell a lot of stuff out of it. He doesn't need to grow and has a great business . His shop is just right for his needs. So bigger is better or is bigger just more space to pile junk?? I think we all know its sums up to the needs of the particular individual. Good luck with your shops guys. That's my $14.00s worth of advice.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello everyone, My shop is 40 x 48 with 2 roll up doors. I have 2 entry doors and 4 windows and a concrete floor. It has 3 rows of 4 ft. fluorescent lights down the 48 ft. length. It is roughed in for a bathroom. The walls are 9 ft. tall. It was a year old last Sept. I like it a lot and wished I had built it sooner.

Post Thanks / Like

1000' sqft. I need a bigger boat. Press brake isnt going to fit.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tbone550 View Post
    At least you're not considering a quonset hut style. That's what mine is, and I swear one day when I'm rich and famous I'm going to build a huge shop right over top of that quonset, and then tear down the quonset. At least the quonset will never fall down from snow or wind load. And I'm sure it was cheap for the previous owner to put up.
    What dont you like about the Quonset hut? I was thinking about using a quonset hut for my welding, shear and press brake stuff but use a larger shade structure for the cold saw, plasma torch and other dirty jobs that I can keep the area clean with a hose. Something like this for a shop ... and a house someday.

Use shipping containers with storefront glass/doors for office and or showroom.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy_pop View Post
    1000' sqft. I need a bigger boat. Press brake isnt going to fit.

You rent Jimmy?

Yeah, you need more space since the acquisition of that shear

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I rent currently. Making plans to build a shop so I like seeing this thread.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 7A749 View Post
    ... No room for anything ...
    I forget how big my garage is. Now there's no room to extend a tape measure to check it. If there are two people in there, we have to breathe in and out alternately.
    "USMCPOP" First-born son: KIA Iraq 1/26/05
    Syncrowave 250 w/ Coolmate 3
    Dialarc 250, Idealarc 250
    SP-175 +
    Firepower TIG 160S (gave the TA 161 STL to the son)
    Lincwelder AC180C (1952)
    Victor & Smith O/A torches
    Miller spot welder

Post Thanks / Like

32 X 32 X 10 which would be plenty if it was full of garden tractors and a turret lathe. I don't work on stuff the size of a lot of you guys so I don't need bays large enough for a vehicle or a trailer.
    Insulated very well and heated, have not needed A/C but my kingdom for a bathroom.....even just running water.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 7A749 View Post
    Hahaha

Here's something you'll like. It just a baby compared to the big ones, but she's all mine
    That looks pretty 7A. I Like Stubby lathes. I don't imagine I would have much call to go larger myself.

Post Thanks / Like

400 glorious square feet.... it's small as f**k, but my wife was 7 months pregnant when I built it, so I was worried about spending too much money. It works, barely.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oldendum View Post
    I forget how big my garage is. Now there's no room to extend a tape measure to check it. If there are two people in there, we have to breathe in and out alternately.
    Pops...got ya' a simple solution. Stacking. Grab yourself a pair of drywall stilts and stack 2-3 deep...maybe start with the Clausing lathe, Oreo filling in a Dialarc 250 and top it off with a cherry Miller spot welder. BTW, that Dialarc 250 is slightly less wide than it is tall...just saying.
    Lincoln PrecisionTig 275
    Miller 251
    Miller DialArc 250
    Bridgeport mill
    Hossfeld bender & dies
    Logan shaper
    Jet 14 X 40 lathe
    South Bend 9" 'C'
    Hypertherm 900
    Ellis 3000 band saw
    21"Royersford Excelsior
    Two shops, still too many tools.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaDave View Post
    In-floor heating is awesome

Only worked in one that had it - wish mine did.
    I absolutely love it!! My next shop will definitely have it as well!
    -Doogie

Miller 350P
    Miller Trailblazer 325 EFI w/ Excel Power
    Lincoln LN25 suitcase welder
    XMT 304/22a feeder
    Miller Syncrowave 350LX
    Miller Econotig
    Hobart Handler 140
    (2) Uni-Hydro 42-14
    Hypertherm 65 plasma
    WEBB Gap bed lathe

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist