+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Glazing on angle grinder grinding wheels

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Glazing on angle grinder grinding wheels

Quote Originally Posted by bigb View Post
    Sam, are these the ones you speak of?

Biggest POS wheels I ever used, after they get worn down a little they get out of balance real quick. The good thing is they vibrate before they fly apart.

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't had that problem. I buy 6" wheels, use them to the point that they'll fit in the 4 /12 grinder, then finish them out. I'm wondering if you're leaning on them too hard. I think you can nick a soft wheel when you bury the grinder in the metal. These work good with minimal pressure, it's why I really like them.

Anyways, I try to give a good review when I think it's a good product. They've been good to me.

Maybe a guy ought to buy one, then try it out first before making a commitment.
    "Any day above ground is a good day"

http://www.farmersamm.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmersamm View Post
    I haven't had that problem. I buy 6" wheels, use them to the point that they'll fit in the 4 /12 grinder, then finish them out. I'm wondering if you're leaning on them too hard. I think you can nick a soft wheel when you bury the grinder in the metal. These work good with minimal pressure, it's why I really like them.

Anyways, I try to give a good review when I think it's a good product. They've been good to me.

Maybe a guy ought to buy one, then try it out first before making a commitment.
    It could of been a bad batch mine came from. But you know how the once bitten thing goes. Its definitely a soft wheel equals fast metal removal and shorter life or hard wheel and longer life with slower removal.

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty good grind time. 3/8 mild steel.

Name:  sait wheel1.JPG
Views: 152
Size:  137.8 KB

It's a partially worn wheel, less diameter means slower surface speed, and it still cuts pretty fast.

Name:  sait wheel3.JPG
Views: 278
Size:  142.6 KB

Very open grain structure, no glazing. I used medium pressure to make the cut. I don't cram it into the piece at the beginning, just ease it into the metal. This could, I imagine cause problems if it's forced at the beginning of the cut.

Name:  sait wheel2.JPG
Views: 225
Size:  128.7 KB

Anyways, I hope it helps.
    "Any day above ground is a good day"

http://www.farmersamm.com/

Post Thanks / Like

There are probably other factors involved like amount of resin binder, secret resin recipes, how much compression they use putting it together, yadda yadda. Bottom line some glaze over more than others, some like Norton can't be trusted from batch to batch, some were great, some were chit. Other brands turn to sand and disappear in 30 minutes. Then each person has their own likes and dislikes. I did buy some of the Radnor brand from Air Gas and they worked fine altho the fine print stated "made by Norton" on there. The issue there is Air Gas. Can't stand the outfit. They push whatever gives them the widest profit margin.

I'm lucky in the fact that I have family members watching for deals and picking up wheels for me all the time. The down side is, I never know what I'm gonna get. When I buy I buy Sait and buy for specific purpose, like aluminum, concrete, fast removal steel, etc.. The one blanket policy I have is no Norton and no Harbor Freight and Sait if there is a choice.
    "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -Theodore Roosevelt

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist