+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lincoln 3350 helmet -- puddle color and clarity questions

Post Thanks / Like

Lincoln 3350 helmet -- puddle color and clarity questions

Those of you who have Lincoln 3350 welding helmets -- can you tell me the color of the welding puddle? it is amber or the greenish blue hue like a Speedglas? What do you think of the clarity? It's advertised as a 1/1/1/1, but I don't have a LWS nearby that has one so I'd appreciate any opinions from using one that you can offer.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lincoln 3350 helmet -- puddle color and clarity questions

Anyone? I thought this would be quick with all you 3350 helmet owners out there...

Post Thanks / Like

Didn't you sell your 9100xx to get a E684 and now you want a 3350?
    Damn, i thought I was picky
    Torchmate 2x2 CNC with Flashcut CNC controls
    Hypertherm Powermax45
    Esab ET220i
    Razorweld 195 Mig
    Razorweld 200ac/dc Tig
    Tormach 770, Tormach xstech
    Carbide3d Nomad3
    Sherline 4400 CNC Lathe

Post Thanks / Like

I just bought one a couple months ago. Can't even tell you the color, lol. Everything except the headband I love. Much clearer than my 15yo jackson, bigger view area, better response and many more adjustments. I was surprised that it even works for grinding. I didn't think that would work. The headband is very complex and not easy to use for me. However it looked like most of the new ones were the same. Maybe when I get used to it it will ge better. Overall I would say I like it a lot. I was really struggling to see good enough to weld lately and bought it hoping that with the new helmet and a cheater I would be able to see good enough. But I found that the cheater was more trouble than good and took it out. I can see just fine now anyway as long as I keep the glasses clean.
    Yeah, I know, but it'll be ok!

Lincoln Square wave 255
    Miller Vintage mig
    30a spoolgun
    Thermal Dynamics Pacmaster 100xl plasma
    Smith mc torch
    Ellis 1600 band saw

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble View Post
    Didn't you sell your 9100xx to get a E684 and now you want a 3350?
    Damn, i thought I was picky
    The helmet is the most important tool in the process. You can only weld well what you can see well, so I'm always looking to find an improvement to the status quo.

The Speedglas was very clear, but the puddle was green. Light eye colors see it differently that dark eyes, I've been told, so what works great for one person does no work as well for another. I sold it to a good friend, who loves it. Win-Win for both of us.

I tried the Optrel 684, but sent it back. The puddle color was not as good for me as my Jackson Nexgen, which is an amber tinged color I can see much better than the green. There was more flare (or more observable flare) with the Optrel as well. Again, could just be the different color of the lens that made it more apparent. Still, for me, the combination was not superior to the Nexgen.

I also have a couple fixed shade helmets -- a Pipeliner with a Sellstrom flip-front with a gold glass lens -- like that one a lot. A Jackson Halo with a large 4x5 gold lens -- that one is very clear, but no built in helmet capability for a cheater. Both are good views, but not ADFs, which gives up the flexibility...

Lincoln advertises the 3350 as a 1/1/1/1 lens. What I want to know is the color tint of the welding puddle.

Do you have a 3350?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm no pro welder, but I love the 3350, you will see an orange-amber puddle, I can't compare to any other top rated lids, cause my others are HF blue flame and Fema, and it's night and day difference. The large view really helps me find a sweet spot looking thru the bi-focals, and like welderj said a cheater lens is not a cure all for us getting hard to see. I would say they have extremely good clarity.
    Thermal Arc 210 - Tweco 211I - Cutmaster 52

Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps trying different color tinted safety glasses under the helmet would be a lot less expensive than buying 1/2 dozen $300+ helmets?

Post Thanks / Like

Thermal arc 210, Lincoln 180c, Northern tool plasma, Weldanpower 225/210, Idealarc 250 ac/dc 3 Labs and a wife

Better hope your wife doesn't realize your tools come first and she comes last!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Welder Dave View Post
    Perhaps trying different color tinted safety glasses under the helmet would be a lot less expensive than buying 1/2 dozen $300+ helmets?
    That would be a great idea and might be just the ticket for some folks. Those of us that already wear glasses have trouble doubling up with safety glasses, too, so that won't work for me. Thanks for the idea, though!

Post Thanks / Like

Thermal arc 210, Lincoln 180c, Northern tool plasma, Weldanpower 225/210, Idealarc 250 ac/dc 3 Labs and a wife

My tools always come second to the wife. Fortunately, there's still enough to go around for tools

Post Thanks / Like

LOL that's good right there, she's my best buddy and is always back there holding everything together. You know how it is, she LETS me have the toys.

Thermal Arc 210 - Tweco 211I - Cutmaster 52

Post Thanks / Like

You have not tried the Jackson Balder? It's very different from the Amber next gen ws60 which I also own. It's a 1/1/1/1 hood. Being colorblind I can't really comment on the color unless you are too. Would be meaningless
    Tiger Sales: AHP Distributor www.tigersalesco.com
    AHP200x; AHP 160ST; MM350P, Spoolmatic 30A; Everlast PowerTig 185; Thermal Dynamics 60i plasma.
    For Sale: Cobra Mig 250 w/ Push-pull gun. Lincoln Wirematic 250

Post Thanks / Like

Have an old Jackson fixed, must be 40 yrs or better, and a top of the line Kolbalt ;-0

The Kolbalt has about the same color puddle as my old Jackson, and my eyes are light blue.... Use a cheater lens and wear glasses, one pair of my glasses have yellow tint and they do intensify the puddle color

Post Thanks / Like

If it's listed as a 1/1/1/1 rating, you won't find anything finer as far as optics go.
    Jason
    Lincoln Idealarc 250 stick/tig
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Miller Bobcat 250
    Torchmate CNC table
    Thermal Arc Hefty 2
    Ironworkers Local 720

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soutthpaw View Post
    You have not tried the Jackson Balder? It's very different from the Amber next gen ws60 which I also own. It's a 1/1/1/1 hood. Being colorblind I can't really comment on the color unless you are too. Would be meaningless
    It's blue tinted
    Hypertherm Powermax45
    Esab ET220i
    Razorweld 195 Mig
    Razorweld 200ac/dc Tig
    Carbide3d Nomad3
    Sherline 4400 CNC Lathe

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 3350, have green eyes and see an amber-orange colored puddle as well. Love this helmet, big viewing area, room for my 3M respirator and hardhat adaptable. Haven't tried it with a cheater lens because I didn't know about them until a few days ago, could of saved a hundred bucks instead of getting prescription safety glasses.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ti Trucker View Post
    I have a 3350, have green eyes and see an amber-orange colored puddle as well...
    Thanks, guys, for the responses.

Gamble, when you said "blue tint" were you talking about the Jackson Balder or the 3350?

Post Thanks / Like

Jackson balder
    Hypertherm Powermax45
    Esab ET220i
    Razorweld 195 Mig
    Razorweld 200ac/dc Tig
    Carbide3d Nomad3
    Sherline 4400 CNC Lathe

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist