+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need help with a TiG machine decision

Post Thanks / Like

Need help with a TiG machine decision

Please be honest with personal, first hand experience, I am looking to pick up one of the three very shortly. I have found very limited real world info on any of them aside from a few youtube gurus (welding tips and tricks, welding.com).

I am on the fence with the

Longevity 200SX
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Longevity...ct_description

The Eastwood Tig200
    http://www.eastwood.com/tig-welders-...dc-welder.html

Everlast Powertig 185DV
    http://www.sears.com/everlast-reg-po...&mktRedirect=y

This is going to be my first dive in to TiG welding. The things I am looking for is 110/220 (I only have access to 110 in my current residence) as well as being able to swap to a different torch (I.E. upgrade, or smaller or large). Also although a newbie to TiG I like the fact the Everlast has Hertz and AC balance. Is it foolish to want to be able to dial in welds for a green horn?

Thanks
    Hobart squirt gun
    AHP AlphaTig 200X
    Couple angle grinders
    Good 'Ol fashioned cajones

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need help with a TiG machine decision

AHP 200 seems to be the best for the price and should be in stock shortly.

The 200sx is a good machine but you are stuck with the pot on the pedal. If you upgrade to the miller pedal you have no control on final amperage at all. It's based on your input voltage. It welds ok, but there is a big arc stability issue between 60-80 amps from my experience.

The eastwood has sh*t for aftermarket support besides a torch and it's a mosfet machine. i wouldn't expect a lot of life out of it, but it does weld ok for the few minutes I've used one.

Never used the 185DV before, but some people like it. Some people say it's junk too.

Based on on that budget, the ahp seems to be the best fit.
    Torchmate 2x2 CNC with Flashcut CNC controls
    Hypertherm Powermax45
    Esab ET220i
    Razorweld 195 Mig
    Razorweld 200ac/dc Tig
    Tormach 770, Tormach xstech
    Carbide3d Nomad3
    Sherline 4400 CNC Lathe

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, I did happen to stumble on the AHP and didnt even give it a second glance. At that price I cant argue though. And I realize my restricted budget isnt leaving me with much option. Not concerned with knob on pedal adjustment I think that would actually be a nice change from getting up and changing my mig.

As far as AHP could you give me any experience on them?

I see you have the 200ex Longevity, that wouldnt be the one you are having arc trouble with correct?
    Hobart squirt gun
    AHP AlphaTig 200X
    Couple angle grinders

Post Thanks / Like

200sx and 200ex are completely different machines. 200ex is a nice machine. But for your price the AHP is the way to go.
    I've got minimal time with the ahp but so far it's a nice unit for the price.
    Hypertherm Powermax45
    Esab ET220i
    Razorweld 195 Mig
    Razorweld 200ac/dc Tig
    Carbide3d Nomad3
    Sherline 4400 CNC Lathe

Post Thanks / Like

The Everlast 185 is a good solid and simple tig machine. It sick welds ok but it's primarily a TIG.
    The AHP is a great TIG for the price and does better in the stick department but the arc is a bit overly forceful. But it was actually built that way with a larger transformer to help noobs get going with stick easier.. it has a slow speed pulse and 2t4t , both of which are of little use to someone learning. The new model ads frequency control that would make me choose over the 185.
    I would only wish the Longevity machine on my worst enemy. The amperage markings vary by up to 30 amps from actual setting the machine I tested.
    Tiger Sales: AHP Distributor www.tigersalesco.com
    AHP200x; AHP 160ST; MM350P, Spoolmatic 30A; Everlast PowerTig 185; Thermal Dynamics 60i plasma.
    For Sale: Cobra Mig 250 w/ Push-pull gun. Lincoln Wirematic 250

Post Thanks / Like

and this is why I came here. Thanks guys. The frequency adjust was kind of a winning point for the everlast over the eastwood after doing more reading and learning. Im amped to get to start trying Tig, Im not so much interested in stick, but hey if its there why not give it a try. Also do you happen to have any input on the factory AHP torch? I just watched a review done by weld.com claiming its not the greatest and a different torch would be the way to go to be a nicer arc?

Also a newb question, with the AHP only having a switch for 2T/4T that only comes in to effect if the torch switch is installed correct? Otherwise the pedal acts as usual?
    Hobart squirt gun
    AHP AlphaTig 200X
    Couple angle grinders

Post Thanks / Like

All those companies are known to have had machine issues and customer service issues in the past. Use do diligence researching these issues so you make an informed decision. Several companies have gone to extreme lengths to hide these problems in the past. Also keep in mind most of these import machines, you give up long term serviceability for your low up front price. If it fails out of warranty most repair places won't touch them. Consider it a disposable machine, as many times it's cheaper to replace it than repair it IF you can find anyone to touch it.

Budget priced units have their place and are the right choice for some. Just make sure you know and understand both the pluses and the minuses before you buy.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DSW View Post
    All those companies are known to have had machine issues and customer service issues in the past. Use do diligence researching these issues so you make an informed decision. Several companies have gone to extreme lengths to hide these problems in the past. Also keep in mind most of these import machines, you give up long term serviceability for your low up front price. If it fails out of warranty most repair places won't touch them. Consider it a disposable machine, as many times it's cheaper to replace it than repair it IF you can find anyone to touch it.

Budget priced units have their place and are the right choice for some. Just make sure you know and understand both the pluses and the minuses before you buy.
    Best explanation thus far on these machines. your reply should be the standard answer to these questions.
    Millermatic 211
    Miller Syncrowave 350lx with cooler and tigrunner
    Thermal Dynamics cutmaster 81
    1955 National Cylinder Gas O/A setup with original patina

Post Thanks / Like

Even if the budget machines do fail within warranty, the likely hood of getting the seller to repair is slim. If they do shipping to and from is on you. From what I have seen parts are obsolete once the new model comes out. Then they try to upgrade you to the new model for more money.

I won't say which of the three, but if you encounter a warranty problem, they have you tear into the unit and start measuring voltages. Then they question your skills.

Good luck. Have not tried the 2015 yellowish Tig yet, but the 2014 model is a turd.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX4ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW200-2ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig2ea,MigMax1ea.

Post Thanks / Like

I think your best bet would be the Longevity 200SX
    www.georgesplasmacuttershop.com
    Plasma Cutter and Welder Sales and Repairs--Ebay store
    Tec.Mo. Dealer Consumables for the PT and IPT torch's

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shovelon View Post
    Even if the budget machines do fail within warranty, the likely hood of getting the seller to repair is slim. If they do shipping to and from is on you. From what I have seen parts are obsolete once the new model comes out. Then they try to upgrade you to the new model for more money.

I won't say which of the three, but if you encounter a warranty problem, they have you tear into the unit and start measuring voltages. Then they question your skills.

Good luck. Have not tried the 2015 yellowish Tig yet, but the 2014 model is a turd.
    I am EAGERLY awaiting your review
    Millermatic 211

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 00silv4.8 View Post
    and this is why I came here. Thanks guys. The frequency adjust was kind of a winning point for the everlast over the eastwood after doing more reading and learning. Im amped to get to start trying Tig, Im not so much interested in stick, but hey if its there why not give it a try. Also do you happen to have any input on the factory AHP torch? I just watched a review done by weld.com claiming its not the greatest and a different torch would be the way to go to be a nicer arc?

Also a newb question, with the AHP only having a switch for 2T/4T that only comes in to effect if the torch switch is installed correct? Otherwise the pedal acts as usual?
    The issue with all these budget machines are the accessories are junk at best. Only two people I have met like the foot pedal. I'll say it takes a lot of getting used to if you are used to a better pedal. If it's your first pedal it won't be that bad.

The torch on the 200x is no too bad. I like the torch switch on it, no idea why but it's always been comfortable in my hand. The AHP uses a "super flex" style cable that is heavy but works ok. The torch head slides off too easily. A simple fix is to buy a cheap imported head/handle off eBay for $10. Or just buy an entire replacement torch for $100.
    A better foot pedal will run you $170 ish. A better flowmeter will be around $50 or less.

So yes they are all ok to start with but leaves you room for upgrades.
    Hypertherm Powermax45
    Esab ET220i
    Razorweld 195 Mig
    Razorweld 200ac/dc Tig
    Carbide3d Nomad3
    Sherline 4400 CNC Lathe

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, the AHP torch on the 2014 is not great, the 2015 model has a new torch and cable design. I have not used one yet so unlike some here who comment without ever touching the machines mentioned, I will wait till I get to use one to comment on it.
    AHP200x; AHP 160ST; MM350P, Spoolmatic 30A; Everlast PowerTig 185; Thermal Dynamics 60i plasma.

Post Thanks / Like

You ever get to Phoenix you can give my AHP a test drive..

Will pm you contact info if you are interested...
    From the desk of Kevin Caron
    Trying to be the best me I can!
    www.kevincaron.com

AHP Alpha Tig 200x
    MillerMatic 251
    Miller Syncrowave 200

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soutthpaw View Post
    Yeah, the AHP torch on the 2014 is not great, the 2015 model has a new torch and cable design. I have not used one yet so unlike some here who comment without ever touching the machines mentioned, I will wait till I get to use one to comment on it.
    thats precisely why I said no comments unless you've used one. Excuses and assholes, so on.

Tell me what about the AHP is making it the better choice over the 3? Also Im not able to find any website for them or spec read out for duty cycle or anything...
    Hobart squirt gun
    AHP AlphaTig 200X
    Couple angle grinders

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kevinacaron View Post
    You ever get to Phoenix you can give my AHP a test drive..

Will pm you contact info if you are interested...
    I actually am in Phx, I just moved back little over a month ago. I would be quite interested in taking you up on that offer.
    Hobart squirt gun
    AHP AlphaTig 200X
    Couple angle grinders

Post Thanks / Like

thats precisely why I said no comments unless you've used one. Excuses and assholes, so on.

Tell me what about the AHP is making it the better choice over the 3? Also Im not able to find any website for them or spec read out for duty cycle or anything...
    See you in a few with a "this welder stopped working, this company has given me the run around and will not answer my calls or emails" thread.
    Millermatic 211

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy There View Post
    See you in a few with a "this welder stopped working, this company has given me the run around and will not answer my calls or emails" thread.
    Now, THAT's the kind of insight he was looking for

Hobart Beta-Mig 251
    1972 Miller AEAD-200LE
    Miller 250 Twin
    Northern Ind. Hybrid 200
    Longevity Stick 140
    Longevity Migweld 200S
    Thermal Arc Pak 3XR

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely agree with this regarding Longevity as can be seen in swampwelder's thread. As for Everlast, they used to do similar stuff years ago. I think they have improved quite a bit in the last few years along with significant product improvements. AHP I have not seen any such complaints. I have seen a few posts here where someone had a problem or got a DOA machine and AHP took care of the issue immediately and was only mentioned by the member after the fact. Louis got a new machine from AHP after buying a used and non-working/untested machine of off Craigslist or some such thing. He recently upgraded to a Syncrowave and sold the AHP for $700 i believe. So I know the quoted poster is developing a reputation for grinding his axe on Chinese machines that he seems to have never owned or used. So just understand his perspective when you read such posts. now if you find a used Syncrowave or other major brand machine that fits your need and budget, absolutely buy it over any of the machines you are inquiring about. Even if I was a Dealer for X,Y or Z company I would still make the same recommendation.

Post Thanks / Like

I have about 10+ hrs of actual welding "on" time on the AHP machine in both TIG and STICK. We recently discovered that it does not do well on low current AC (below about 30amps) I need to do some more testing and waiting to compare to the 2015 model. As of right now, my recommendation is if you dont plan to weld much below 18-20ga aluminum, I think the AHP is a good choice. its held up well to the rest of the stuff we have done with it. low current DC is fine.

if you are not doing a lot of Stick welding or stick weld and don't need to use E6010 the Everlast is a good choice.

you know my thoughts on the third machine

Post Thanks / Like

DJ, I find it interesting that you call me Louis. Nobody calls me that except for Oleg.
    Miller Multimatic 255

Post Thanks / Like

I have about 10+ hrs of actual welding "on" time on the AHP machine in both TIG and STICK. We recently discovered that it does not do well on low current AC (below about 30amps) I need to do some more testing and waiting to compare to the 2015 model. As of right now, my recommendation is if you dont plan to weld much below 18-20ga aluminum, I think the AHP is a good choice. its held up well to the rest of the stuff we have done with it. low current DC is fine.

if you are not doing a lot of Stick welding or stick weld and don't need to use E6010 the Everlast is a good choice.

you know my thoughts on the third machine
    Thank you for the proper input I was looking for. Everyone can beat their keyboard all day long talking out their ***, and for as far as I know you may or may not have any time with the machine, because I dont know you. That being said Im taking collective advise from possible real time users.
    I do not plan to do much stick welding if any, I have a mig and enjoy mig but need to broaden my horizons. I think the thinnest I may ever venture to weld is 18-20, I am usually around 16 or 18 gauge doing auto sheet metal and the such. I dont have a large budget obviously, I will keep looking at craigslist but I plan to make a decision this week, I already have a couple projects for my bike I need to get going.

Thanks again for input everyone, please keep it coming with real usage of the machines. I do believe I am between the Everlast and the AHP currently.
    Hobart squirt gun
    AHP AlphaTig 200X
    Couple angle grinders

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely agree with this regarding Longevity as can be seen in swampwelder's thread. As for Everlast, they used to do similar stuff years ago. I think they have improved quite a bit in the last few years along with significant product improvements. AHP I have not seen any such complaints. I have seen a few posts here where someone had a problem or got a DOA machine and AHP took care of the issue immediately and was only mentioned by the member after the fact. Louis got a new machine from AHP after buying a used and non-working/untested machine of off Craigslist or some such thing. He recently upgraded to a Syncrowave and sold the AHP for $700 i believe. So I know the quoted poster is developing a reputation for grinding his axe on Chinese machines that he seems to have never owned or used. So just understand his perspective when you read such posts. now if you find a used Syncrowave or other major brand machine that fits your need and budget, absolutely buy it over any of the machines you are inquiring about. Even if I was a Dealer for X,Y or Z company I would still make the same recommendation.
    I find is amusing that I have "gained a reputation for grinding my axe on chinese cheap azz crappy welders that will break" .

I am just one of those guys that like to learn from my own and other's mistakes. If I watch a person walk into a burning building and not make it out. Why would I do the same thing.

DJ: you can try to be a mediator all you want but these cheap chinese welder's quality and susceptibility to going boom or needing $100's in upgrades, a better foot pedal, clearance for the fan to not rub and make sounds, or a constant HF adjustment will overcome any attempt the company/companies make at building a good track record on the market.
    Millermatic 211

Post Thanks / Like

I find is amusing that I have "gained a reputation for grinding my axe on chinese cheap azz crappy welders that will break" .

I am just one of those guys that like to learn from my own and other's mistakes. If I watch a person walk into a burning building and not make it out. Why would I do the same thing.

DJ: you can try to be a mediator all you want but these cheap chinese welder's quality and susceptibility to going boom or needing $100's in upgrades, a better foot pedal, clearance for the fan to not rub and make sounds, or a constant HF adjustment will overcome any attempt the company/companies make at building a good track record on the market.
    you guys wanna start measuring dicks on another thread? Im asking simple questions, if you have first hand "this is what happened to me" experience by all means share it, otherwise, just dont say anything.
    Hobart squirt gun
    AHP AlphaTig 200X
    Couple angle grinders

Post Thanks / Like

Well when Lincoln brings out the ac/dc TIG/stick version of a 210mp, @ $999, I'll be the first in line to buy one and recommend that if it's any good. Right now there is no machine with similar functions till you get into 2-3x the cost from any American welding company. Many getting into welding as a hobby, don't have the funds out desire to spend that kind of money on a machine. The pedal/torch/regulator/consumables issues are often just preference. Some area have actual issues which in the case of the AHP, are being address by the company.
    If it turns out that they decide not to listen or tell me to go take a hike, I'll be sure to say so. Right now they seem interested in listening and improving their products.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist