+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Miller dynasty or miller diversion plus extras!?!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Miller dynasty or miller diversion plus extras!?!

The last project that I did I used O/A for heating, bending, and straightening. MIG for tacking and TIG for some but not all welds. My current project I'm using TIG and O/A Brazing. See where I'm going with this? The dynasty is one hell of a machine so I'm told, but if you ever do anything that requires multiple tacks like expanded metal, MIG is just a lot faster. I pulled out the MIG welder after making two tacks with the TIG. As others have said, don't rule out a syncrowave either.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I also used the O/A for cutting.
    Last edited by MetalJunkie; 03-09-2015 at 09:21 AM.
    Syncrowave 210
    HH140
    Victor O/A

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nelzweldz View Post
    I think you're trying to tell me to get the dynasty.
    Funny thing is my girl weldors get it. Julie has picked apart AC waveforms EN/EP amplitudes, freqs, and
    balance. My daughter is master of DC high speed pulse. She has those good young eyes for micro work as well.

The guys just power through thier welds.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX4ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW200-2ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig2ea,MigMax1ea.

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't get the whole shebang from Miller. I ordered the machine alone (comes with two DINSE connectors to make a ground and stick lead), and then added the wireless pedal, an HTP (CK) 20 series torch, an HTP cooler, HTP ground clamp, and bought some cable to make my leads. I feel like I got better bang for the buck that way. If you do the math on the Miller TIG runner packages, the cart is big $$$$.

Post Thanks / Like

Exactly that is why majority of people build there own carts and water cooler setups.

Op: are you considering a used machine? Seems like your locked and loaded. Cash in hand goes a long way on Craigslist.
    Millermatic 211
    Miller Syncrowave 350lx with cooler and tigrunner
    Thermal Dynamics cutmaster 81
    1955 National Cylinder Gas O/A setup with original patina

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, buy the power supply only, and put together a wish list of peripherals. There are a couple of threads on this already. To start it off the SSC controls foot pedal is IMO better than the Miller RFC 14 pedal. I weld heel clips to my SSC pedals.

Of course the wireless miller pedal is cool.
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX4ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW200-2ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig2ea,MigMax1ea.

Post Thanks / Like

I was in the same boat last year. My heart was set on a Dynasty but couldn't really afford it despite many will tell you, you will only cry once. Maybe check out HTP offering on their tig setup? I end up with a HTP and the money I saved. I end up buying a Hypertherm Powermax 45.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shovelon View Post
    Yes, buy the power supply only, and put together a wish list of peripherals. There are a couple of threads on this already. To start it off the SSC controls foot pedal is IMO better than the Miller RFC 14 pedal. I weld heel clips to my SSC pedals.

Of course the wireless miller pedal is cool.
    Yeah, miller really rakes you across the coals on packages. There's really no value added benefit going that route, unless you are in a situation where you want to roll it off the pallet, plug it in and go to work.

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  IMG_2546.JPG
Views: 218
Size:  38.7 KBI got ripped off! I bought a Dynasty 350 and Lynda's Boobs stayed the same?
    My welding got nicer but thats it?
    Last edited by B_C; 03-09-2015 at 01:28 PM.

Miller Dynasty 350
    Twenty Six Hammers

Three Crow Bars

Big Rock

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by B_C View Post
    Name:  IMG_2546.JPG
Views: 218
Size:  38.7 KBI got ripped off! I bought a Dynasty 350 and Lynda's Boobs stayed the same?
    My welding got nicer but thats it?
    Dude put the donut down and put your glasses on!

When was the last time you did a first article inspection on them? (not the welds)

Post Thanks / Like

Don't waste your money on a Diversion.
    Just a couple welders, big hammers, grinders, and torches.
    Work will free you.
    Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
    Trump/Carson 2016-2024

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shovelon View Post
    Dude put the donut down and put your glasses on!

When was the last time you did a first article inspection on them? (not the welds)
    Results may vary....

Bill, if you buy as many as a Terry has, your wife would need a wheelbarrow to haul hers around

Post Thanks / Like

being the guy who always tries to get by too cheap, I finally broke down and bought a nice welder (xmt in my case) and it's taken just about all the drama out of welding. Previously I was always looking for a better gun, heavier wire, wire cleaners, thrust capacitors, customized kanooder valves, you name it in order to make it work better. I just wasted money and time. I think you'll find your learning curve moves along a lot faster with a better machine (see the welds made by another poster's son after 2 hours).

There is a time where you gotta have something and you make it work for a time. However, it's less time spent and eventually less money spent buying the better machine.

The cheap 'entry level' welders are out there to be given as Christmas gifts for a guy (or gal) that might use it once and set it on the shelf as a trophy. It doesn't have to be much of a welder to fulfill that purpose. On other hand if you intend to use it, the low cost welders will be a source of frustration.

Post Thanks / Like

My wife does not have huge melons. They make me happy anyway. We love each other. My dog loves me. My daughter in law says she loves me. My sons, I think love me, but the subject hasn't come up. And my Dynasty and I love each other. Life is good!
    Last edited by Willie B; 03-09-2015 at 05:35 PM.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 7A749 View Post
    Results may vary....

Bill, if you buy as many as a Terry has, your wife would need a wheelbarrow to haul hers around
    You need to understand, My mother & sisters are HUGE, my mother in law must have been HUGE before gravity made them LONG! I don't find that attractive. Smaller ones remain HIGH. I find that beautiful!
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

Uh... So you're saying buy the dynasty.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    You need to understand, My mother & sisters are HUGE, my mother in law must have been HUGE before gravity made them LONG! I don't find that attractive. Smaller ones remain HIGH. I find that beautiful!
    I prefer middle of the road myself. That's why I only bought one dynasty....

I have a dear affinity for plus size girls tho. Evenly proportioned works for me

Post Thanks / Like

Uh... So you're saying buy the dynasty.
    If you want your wife's boobs to double in size, then yes....

Really, just take your time and look at the big picture before making a decision.

Either way, I doubt you'll regret buying the Dynasty. Just do yourself a favor and buy it new. There's scores of scam artists out there using the Dynasty 200 DX as a ruse to rip you off. Don't fall into one of those deals where the guy on CL or eBay is offering you a "brand new" Dynasty 200 DX for $1800 with free shipping.

I've sold machinery to guy who got taken on the exact same scam. If it looks too good to be true, it probably is.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 7A749 View Post
    If you want your wife's boobs to double in size, then yes....

Really, just take your time and look at the big picture before making a decision.

Either way, I doubt you'll regret buying the Dynasty. Just do yourself a favor and buy it new. There's scores of scam artists out there using the Dynasty 200 DX as a ruse to rip you off. Don't fall into one of those deals where the guy on CL or eBay is offering you a "brand new" Dynasty 200 DX for $1800 with free shipping.

I've sold machinery to guy who got taken on the exact same scam. If it looks too good to be true, it probably is.
    Is the BIG PICTURE you refer to the one in post 20?

Post Thanks / Like

You have enough to buy the miller dynasty package that let's you hook up your argon and weld or you could buy a diversion 180, a multimatic 200, and a 375 x-treme plasma cutter for less! I am in this position right now. I have made up my mind to buy a tig welder and learn how to tig weld so I can fabricate more than just bolt on. I am an automotive enthusiast and also like bicycles. I am a newb to welding. The little bit of welding I have done at work has been mig and stick. I work in fleet maintenance with diesel trucks trailers small gas trucks, etc. I am just looking to expand my horizons. Which would you do? I had my heart set on that dynasty but when I realized I could buy the diversion, the multiprocess welder and the plasma cutter for the same price... I am starting to lean towards the latter. If you were me which would you do? I was going to buy the water cooled dynasty set-up with the wireless foot pedal. That's why the price is so high. This is a trigger that I am about to pull by the way, so share your opinion.
    If money is no importance I say go big and buy the dynasty. The diversion 180 offers little options and the duty cycle sucks so you would eventually outgrow the machine in a short amount of time. Look into the syncrowave 210 complete package which lets your mig, tig and stick plus it comes with everything in the box to get you started for 3 grand.

Post Thanks / Like

Money is an issue. I have the money and will be buying the machine outright. But it was mentioned earlier that I may not be in this position again. This is indeed the case. I have decided to stick to my guns and my initial decision and buy the dynasty package deal. I will keep everyone on here posted. Thank you all for the advice.

Post Thanks / Like

have you looked at htp invertig at all? lot of machine for good bit cheaper plus it has 20 more amps....u can get an invertig, watercooler, torch, pedal, and flowmeter for the price of the 200dx by itself.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cajunboy View Post
    have you looked at htp invertig at all? lot of machine for good bit cheaper plus it has 20 more amps....u can get an invertig, watercooler, torch, pedal, and flowmeter for the price of the 200dx by itself.
    To be honest I have not really looked into alternatives outside of the Miller brand. I did briefly after your post but nothing I have read so far is screaming HTP over Miller, or Lincoln over Miller for that matter. This is an investment in me. I am giving myself the best shot at acquiring a skill. I would like this to lead to more. Hopefully.

Post Thanks / Like

ESAB 281i is definitely worth looking at too. You get 100 day money back guarantee too
    Tiger Sales: AHP Distributor www.tigersalesco.com
    AHP200x; AHP 160ST; MM350P, Spoolmatic 30A; Everlast PowerTig 185; Thermal Dynamics 60i plasma.
    For Sale: Cobra Mig 250 w/ Push-pull gun. Lincoln Wirematic 250

Post Thanks / Like

It is done. Between my last post and this one I placed my order online. A dynasty 200dx with a wireless foot pedal should arrive at my house sometime soon. I bought the water cooled wireless package. Looking forward to my first tig welds.

Post Thanks / Like

Of the tools you mentioned.
    1) Generally speaking, for the hobbyist, a plasma cutter is expensive vs. the amount of work you get out of it. I love mine for cutting plate and occasionally gouging. But most car stuff is tubing and well bike....
    2) For cars, a 200ish MIG should probably be your first choice. Your not building a heavy car trailer day-in, day-out. Your tacking stuff, then welding it home. Just a MIG is a bit of a blunt instrument when it comes to bike frames... by bike, I assume bicycle not motorcycle. The Multimatic 200 is an exceptionally good MIG, an acceptable stick machine, and quite frankly just a compromised TIG machine. I would recommend going on craigslist and getting a clean, well maintained red or blue machine (Lincoln or Miller). If you can find a Miller 251 or 252 for under $1500 ready to run (some gas and wire) go that route instead. A 30A spool gun, used, should be about $500-$600 more. The 250ish MIGs are big enough to do car trailer type work.
    3) The dynasty is a top of the line TIG machine. And with TIG, you can generally weld any metal. 99.999% of the time it will be with one gas - pure argon. As good as that sounds, wait till your lying on back trying to weld in some sub-frame connectors, you'll be wishing you had a MIG then. And depending on your protective gear, a smooth running MIG like the Multimatic is ideal (less sparks to set your hair on fire). If you are working on tubing, especially thinner stuff, the TIG is ideal.

So... If you are unsure, buy a good used MIG. You can search Miller's forums about any of their MIGs and get an idea of what people like and don't like (for instance, the Millermatic 250 is supposedly not ideal unless it get modded). Save your money and buy a TIG later. Buy the plasma last. A jig saw or a band saw would be higher on my list. A saws all when you need to cut things apart. A O/A torch also allows you to heat things (take them apart, bend them etc.) and can cut almost like a plasma on steel (see sticky in this forum).

If you have projects in mind, buy the best welder that can do all the projects... The Dynasty TIG. Then practice, practice, practice.
    Con Fuse!
    Miller Dynasty 350
    Millermatic 350P
    -Spoolmatic 30A

Miller Multimatic 200
    Hypertherm PowerMax 1000G3
    Miller Maxstar 200DX

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist