Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Miller dynasty or miller diversion plus extras!?!

Post Thanks / Like

Miller dynasty or miller diversion plus extras!?!

You have enough to buy the miller dynasty package that let's you hook up your argon and weld or you could buy a diversion 180, a multimatic 200, and a 375 x-treme plasma cutter for less! I am in this position right now. I have made up my mind to buy a tig welder and learn how to tig weld so I can fabricate more than just bolt on. I am an automotive enthusiast and also like bicycles. I am a newb to welding. The little bit of welding I have done at work has been mig and stick. I work in fleet maintenance with diesel trucks trailers small gas trucks, etc. I am just looking to expand my horizons. Which would you do? I had my heart set on that dynasty but when I realized I could buy the diversion, the multiprocess welder and the plasma cutter for the same price... I am starting to lean towards the latter. If you were me which would you do? I was going to buy the water cooled dynasty set-up with the wireless foot pedal. That's why the price is so high. This is a trigger that I am about to pull by the way, so share your opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Miller dynasty or miller diversion plus extras!?!

If it were me, I'd skip the miller bandwagon. But if you are dead set on it, get the dynasty and a plasma. Get a wireless foot pedal later when someone else releases one that isn't $600(hint hint). Or look at the syncrowave 210 also.
    The multimatic is pretty pointless unless you are going out in the field to weld. if you want it just to mig get a mig only welder. The dynasty will tig and stick.
    If it were me because i'm not a miller guy, I would buy the lincoln 210MP for $999 or hobart 210MVP, look at a hypertherm powermax 30, and have money for a tig (miller or not)
    Torchmate 2x2 CNC with Flashcut CNC controls
    Hypertherm Powermax45
    CK MT200 ac/dc
    Razorweld 195 Mig
    Razorweld 200ac/dc Tig
    Tormach 770, Tormach xstech
    Razorweld, Vipercut/Vipermig, SSC Foot Pedal Dealer

Post Thanks / Like

Been there, done that. If you are a serious weldor, not a clown, buy the dynasty. Money in equals money out. A seasoned pro uses his tools a lot. Diversions are gateway machines meaning you will learn fast, and trade up anyway. If you are going to settle with one or the other I say go Dynasty. Lots of people hear have them dialed in like no tomarrow.

Another machine to give considerable attention to is the MillerSync210 inverter tig. Somewhat a compramise between the two, but rock solid.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX4ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW200-2ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig2ea,MigMax1ea.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shovelon View Post
    Been there, done that. If you are a serious weldor, not a clown, buy the dynasty. Money in equals money out. A seasoned pro uses his tools a lot. Diversions are gateway machines meaning you will learn fast, and trade up anyway. If you are going to settle with one or the other I say go Dynasty. Lots of people hear have them dialed in like no tomarrow.

Another machine to give considerable attention to is the MillerSync210 inverter tig. Somewhat a compramise between the two, but rock solid.
    Yeah. The thing is I am not a serious weldor yet. Maybe the gateway machine is just what I need to find out how serious I really am? I really was set on the dynasty 200dx. I had already passed up on the diversion 180 but when I added another welder and a plasma cutter I am swayed a little towards the diversion machine. I have this money saved up. I worked quite a bit of overtime to put it together but I have it. I am committed to buying a miller tig machine. In my research the concensus is that miller is the brand you want for tig welding. If you are a serious master tig weldor, could you make the diversion 180 do what a dynasty 200 does?

Post Thanks / Like

Here is what a kid did with my Dynasty. Never welded before in his life. This is with about 2-hours of hood time.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Donít pay any attention to me
    Iím just a hobbyist!

Carl

Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400

Post Thanks / Like

I am a Miller guy, but would certainly open my options up to looking at the Thermal Arc and HTP offerings too. They're less expensive than the Dynasty, but still are good machines for the money. This would allow for other machine purchases you mentioned at the outset.

The point here is, as Terry said, the Diversion is a light duty hobby machine and a lot of ppl who buy them quickly realize it's not enough, then take a loss to purchase something with more power. You can't use amps you didn't buy. The Dynasty can stick weld, the Diversion cannot. Value added bonus right there in machine flexibility. Another thing about the Dynasty is the fact that they hold their value extremely well. It will be an investment that you can liquidate for a very large percentage of the original purchase price if plans change and you need the cash out of it. Diversions usually take a big hit off the retail price when resold. They're had to sell unless you're giving one away.

Further, if I were to purchase one, I would bite the bullet and buy brand new to get the warranty. Used Dynasty's (even older, non blue lightning models) still command high prices in the resale market. New will be a small loss at initial retail, but the benefits gained will be the peace of mind you get with a warranty like Miller's and knowing you didn't buy someone else's problems. I decided to buy an inverter TIG in 2013 and opted for a new Dynasty 350. For what even factory refurbished units were selling for the difference wasn't very much more in the big picture.

I also had the circumstances where I didn't have to spend a lot out of pocket to buy it, being I sold my S'Wave 250 DX and a couple other machines I had to come up with the extra cash.

I would avoid the Diversion (pardon the pun) and look towards a more powerful unit.

IMHO of course

Post Thanks / Like

Mustang Cobra = Dynasty

Pinto = Diversion
    www.georgesplasmacuttershop.com
    Plasma Cutter and Welder Sales and Repairs--Ebay store
    Tec.Mo. Dealer Consumables for the PT and IPT torch's

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mechanic416 View Post
    Mustang Cobra = Dynasty

Pinto = Diversion
    I could make a comparison using a Yugo, but I won't

I think you know what I mean tho George

Post Thanks / Like

Don't count out any of miller's syncrowave machine there rock solid also. As others have said skip the diversion, you will outgrow it quickly.

Open to buying used? If so search clist.
    Millermatic 211
    Miller Syncrowave 350lx with cooler and tigrunner
    Thermal Dynamics cutmaster 81
    1955 National Cylinder Gas O/A setup with original patina

Post Thanks / Like

The real option is by the dynasty now or spend more time and overtime getting back to where you can buy the dynasty or equivalent.

For working on bikes or cars, the diversion will likely just frustrate you. If you said you were doing tig art or furniture, the diversion could make good sense.

The multimatic is awesome if you want to haul it around, but makes almost no sense for a shop. I love mine, but my TA 211i was a better machine for in the shop.

Bare machine Dynasty, corded pedal, HTP cooler and torch build, build your own cart and spend the savings on a hypertherm pm30 or a used miller mig.
    Multimatic 200
    Ellis 1800
    Haberle S225 9" cold saw
    MM 300; Spoolmate 30A w/ WC-24
    TB 302G
    Dynasty 280 DX Tigrunner

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nelzweldz View Post
    Yeah. The thing is I am not a serious weldor yet. Maybe the gateway machine is just what I need to find out how serious I really am? I really was set on the dynasty 200dx. I had already passed up on the diversion 180 but when I added another welder and a plasma cutter I am swayed a little towards the diversion machine. I have this money saved up. I worked quite a bit of overtime to put it together but I have it. I am committed to buying a miller tig machine. In my research the concensus is that miller is the brand you want for tig welding. If you are a serious master tig weldor, could you make the diversion 180 do what a dynasty 200 does?
    Yes, and no. The learning curve with the Diversion is vitually non existant. It was designed that way, but the tradeoff is duty cycle, and versatility. I actually advise nonweldors to start with the Diversion, and killerize it under warranty. Then sell it and upgrade. I have put Diversions in the local high schools in their robotics and enginnering programs. They are almost idiot proof. But alas with the recession those have been stashed away to who knows where. Before the Diversions I put in Linclone Squarwave175s. I actually owned one and used it for tacking computer parts. Then sold it for a bigger Linclone tig which was a turd and sent it back for a Miller Synchrowave350 without PFC. Was a boat anchor and sold that off.

Geez got sidetracked. But the real answer is that the Dynasty200Dx is so good that at 3 times the price you will get 10 times the enjoyment out of it. The Dynasty has 4 ac waves to choose from, range of .5 amp, and high speed pulse to 500pps per second for puddle aggitation for tacking and arc flaring. That and the fact that the MillerWelds forum has a plethora of resources for you to peruse. And professionals will not laugh at you and will let you into their circle of knowledge. And if you are not happy you can sell with minimal depreciation. Quality always sells. That is just me.

I say don't sell yourself short and go for the best. You can then measure your skills properly. I jump on my little 200 every chance I get. As a professional I have pushed it hard. Like a thouroughbred horse it wants to run.

One more thing to consider. The more you use it, the cheaper the investment is as the cost is ammoritized into the cost of consumables. Gas, rod, electricity, collets, gas lens collet bodies, backcaps, teflon insulators, torch heads all add up. You will break cups, fry gloves, and so on. Buy good stuff and you may be able to get the jobs done at half the time. That is all a savings in electricity and gas, and maybe fillers.

Rant over, I would pony up and savor the elegance of the perfection that Dynasty is.
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX4ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW200-2ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig2ea,MigMax1ea.

Post Thanks / Like

Amen Terry.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 7A749 View Post
    Amen Terry.
    Yeah, the older I get, the more I savor the days I have left.

Oh, and did I say my wife has big boobs?

Post Thanks / Like

It's because you bought a Dynasty Terry.

Every man that buys a Dynasty, their wife's boobs will increase at least a cup size

At least, that's what sources tell me anyways

Post Thanks / Like

It's because you bought a Dynasty Terry.

Every man that buys a Dynasty, their wife's boobs will increase at least a cup size

At least, that's what sources tell me anyways
    Well they have been getting bigger over the years. Or could be the beer google effect.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a new Diversion 180. I learned fast and outgrew it fast. I learned a little more, and wanted a real AC TIG welder for aluminum. I chickened out on a used Syncrowave 250. I bought an old but cream puff Dialarc 250 HF. Quickly I was so addicted, I really NEEDED a Dynasty. I sold both TIG machines at a loss, and bought the Dynasty 280DX. The Dynasty was expensive, it was made more expensive by buying two entry level machines I had to sell at a loss. I wish I hadn't wasted time on the earlier machines.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

No, it's because you have continued to buy more Dynasty machines Terry..

The more you buy, the bigger they get.......

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mechanic416 View Post
    Mustang Cobra = Dynasty

Pinto = Diversion
    Pinto with plugged radiator.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

If you seriously think you will get into bicycle frames and such using titanium, crmo etc. I would definitely get a dynasty. the advanced controls and the quality of the arc are 2nd to none. I still feel plasma cutters are luxury items. I use OA and dry cut chop saw etc for cutting most of my metal. The beauty of Plasma is really with a CNC plasma table. or if you are doing a lot of non ferrous metals. Agree if you are not going mobile I would get a dedicated MIG welder. you can stick and tig weld with the dynasty.
    Tiger Sales: AHP Distributor www.tigersalesco.com
    AHP200x; AHP 160ST; MM350P, Spoolmatic 30A; Everlast PowerTig 185; Thermal Dynamics 60i plasma.
    For Sale: Cobra Mig 250 w/ Push-pull gun. Lincoln Wirematic 250

Post Thanks / Like

No, it's because you have continued to buy more Dynasty machines Terry..

The more you buy, the bigger they get.......
    Huh, what?

Post Thanks / Like

Read the last page of this thread and then take a cold shower.

http://weldingweb.com/vbb/showthread.php...highlight=zank

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a post from the MILLER site on Dynasty Processes-Set Up, http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...ocesses-Set-Up
    Might be worth while reading that before purchase. The Dynasty has lots of bells and whistles to play with . Depending on what you need and not what you want should be the question. It would be nice to find someone to give you a test run of the Dynasty
    I have a old Miller SD180, turn on gas , machine , set heat, push foot pedal down and weld. Kinda like a no brainer and works for me.
    I would look at the Miller 210 too as a consideration for tig and for a mig the Miller 211 or if that seems small go to the 252.
    As for plasma Hypertherm nothing else.

Post Thanks / Like

At full output the Diversion has about a 10% duty cycle. I was surprised to learn it doesn't turn off, it tapers back. Outside corner joints on 16 gauge aluminum, I wanted to weld an inch, then skip two inches. I'd be pushing on the pedal, needing more heat, I'd look over at the Digital, it was much lower than the setting! For me, with aluminum duty cycle drove me crazy!

Post Thanks / Like

I think you're trying to tell me to get the dynasty.

Post Thanks / Like

I think if you have your heart set on the dynasty nothing else will make you happy. Do it.
    Torchmate 2x2 CNC with Flashcut CNC controls
    Hypertherm Powermax45
    CK MT200 ac/dc
    Razorweld 195 Mig
    Razorweld 200ac/dc Tig
    Tormach 770, Tormach xstech
    Razorweld, Vipercut/Vipermig, SSC Foot Pedal Dealer