Thread: Diversion 165 Flexcable Installation

Post Thanks / Like

Diversion 165 Flexcable Installation

Well I took the plunge and ordered a new flex cable from USAWeld for my Diversion 165:

http://www.usaweld.com/Miller-Divers...hdiversion.htm

It took maybe 45 minutes to install, but mostly only because I was figuring it out as I went since it didn't come with instructions. Once installed, it exceeded all expectations -- the torch is just so much easier to move around and use -- night and day difference!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Diversion 165 Flexcable Installation

To install it, you need a T30 torx bit, to remove the 20 (!) screws holding the outer blue case in place. Make sure it's unplugged and don't touch any of the electronics... Once the cover is off, you see where the original cable assembly screws into the case and connects inside the box. I started by sliding the spring clamp down the gas hose, using regular pliers to compress it open a bit. Once the clamp is slid down the hose a little, the hose pulls off the barb with a little persuasion.

Name:  Gas-Hose.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  50.3 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Once that hose is off, you need to hold the rear nut with a wrench and loosen the outer nut that holds the power lug to the original cable fitting. At that point, you can loosen the black plastic nut holding the cable assembly to the case. The main cable will pull out at that point, but you need to unplug the hand-control cable in two places before you're free and clear. First undo the nut holding the black ground wire, being careful to replace both washer and the nut once the black wire is removed. Then clip off the zip ties holding the grey hand control harness to other wires and pull the little black connector off the controller board by pinching its latch and pulling straight out. Finally, the grommet through which the grey hand control cables enters the case can be released by pressing down on the top lever section of the grommet -- and with that the entirety of the original cable will come out of the case. Name:  Hand Control Zip Ties.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  103.1 KBName:  Hand-control-ground.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  45.0 KB

Post Thanks / Like

When the original cable is off, you need to unscrew the male-to-male connector inside the black plastic and remove the plastic collet. You need to remove all nuts from the end of the cable to pull off the collet, and note that the collet has a twisting-pinching action, so if helps to twist it open as you pull it off. Once off, you can put all of the black plastic onto the new cable and into the case... Sounds more complicated than it is -- don't let it stop you, it's a great upgrade!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by tom86951; 03-11-2015 at 12:03 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice upgrade. And nice tutorial you made.

DB