+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tent stove (cylinder)

Post Thanks / Like

Tent stove (cylinder)

I wanted a tent stove, but didn't want to fork out the money for one--plus I wanted to make some mods. It isn't complete yet, but it is getting close.

I made two doors. Should I break the neo-ceram glass while using the stove, I can swap the door for a solid door. The glass is replaceable, but I wanted to have the solid door as a backup.

I added a medium-sized baffle, and may add secondary air. Still need to add legs, etc. It will have a water heater and a warming tray too.

Name:  20150314_212018.jpg
Views: 2073
Size:  43.2 KB
    Name:  20150314_212030.jpg
Views: 2037
Size:  46.4 KB
    Name:  20150314_212043.jpg
Views: 2049
Size:  39.2 KB
    Name:  20150314_212051.jpg
Views: 2045
Size:  46.5 KB
    Name:  20150314_212102.jpg
Views: 2049
Size:  44.8 KB
    The Lord has declared, "This is my work and my glory--to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man" Moses 1:39
    Link: My name is John, and I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.

-- ColdCreekWorks.com --

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tent stove (cylinder)

more

Name:  20150314_212106.jpg
Views: 1982
Size:  28.2 KBName:  20150314_212112.jpg
Views: 2123
Size:  34.6 KBName:  20150314_212119.jpg
Views: 1963
Size:  42.2 KBName:  20150314_212138.jpg
Views: 1957
Size:  40.2 KBName:  20150314_212145.jpg
Views: 1965
Size:  45.0 KB
    The Lord has declared, "This is my work and my glory--to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man" Moses 1:39
    Link: My name is John, and I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.

-- ColdCreekWorks.com --

Post Thanks / Like

I really like what you got going there. I been all winter floppin tween a cast iron boxwood or barrel stove for my shop.

What I don't like about either offerings is they fill up with ash and you gotta clean it out tween fires, when often I wanna keep fire burning and just add wood.

I'm thinking I'll steal your basic design, then cut out bottom center and add an ash basin it's full length and a coal grate above in the bottom of stove.

I can make the ash basin out of bent C-channel or a thin wall pipe half section, and fab up an ash door and ash rake.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks good. What size tent you planning to heat with that? If you added, say some 1.5x 1/8" strips horizontal to the sides it might add more heating effect if you need it(think heat sinks or cooling fins) That would give it a bit more surface area to radiate heat from. It's getting about the time of year around here where that wont be necessary for many months. Maybe a wood burning air conditioner though. Anybody know how to make one of those?

Post Thanks / Like

16x20 wall tent. If I went with a larger tent I would have built a slightly larger version. I am building this for the future and emergencies.

-- ColdCreekWorks.com --

Post Thanks / Like

It is 50 to 100 bucks for a military multifuel stove.

I do like yours though.

Post Thanks / Like

Great looking little stove.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you.

-- ColdCreekWorks.com --

Post Thanks / Like

very nice stove, one suggestion if you don't mind..your plate baffle inside the stove I see you have tacked or welded it too the outer shell. when things heat up and expand I will be awfull surprised if that doesn't pull loose. might wanna thing about a floating baffle...just a few pieces of flat bar under the baffle (maybe an inch piece?) and the baffle would just float on top of it, leaving things able to expand? just a thought ive been wrong b4

Post Thanks / Like

Nice job!
    I hate being bi-polar it's awsome

My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rambin View Post
    very nice stove, one suggestion if you don't mind..your plate baffle inside the stove I see you have tacked or welded it too the outer shell. when things heat up and expand I will be awfull surprised if that doesn't pull loose. might wanna thing about a floating baffle...just a few pieces of flat bar under the baffle (maybe an inch piece?) and the baffle would just float on top of it, leaving things able to expand? just a thought ive been wrong b4
    I have thought about that.... I may test fire it first and see how it behaves. Cutting it out at this point would be a major pain. I thought about a sliding baffle to start so that I could pull it forward, get the fire going, and after the draft is established push it back.

-- ColdCreekWorks.com --

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jdh239 View Post
    I have thought about that.... I may test fire it first and see how it behaves. Cutting it out at this point would be a major pain. I thought about a sliding baffle to start so that I could pull it forward, get the fire going, and after the draft is established push it back.
    very nice design, just put some door seal on so the air intake will control the air and you wont have any sneak past to door perimeter, the baffle is fine as long as its the same metal as the rest of the stove, all steel stoves are welded solid, no moving or loose parts inside( baffles, air tubes etc.)..a nice coat of high heat stove paint to keep the rust down..I would put a grate at the bottom to keep the red hot coals off the outside steel on the bottom, that will help with warpage and over heating the bottom...

Post Thanks / Like

I love the baffle and angle iron inside. I too built one because of the outrageous prices and somewhat thin steel. May have to do some work to the one I made. Tried using a little one my dad used to heat his teepee with but it was much too small for a 16'x18' wall tent.

Chimney and legs all store away inside the box for transport and storage. Here's a couple pics.

Post Thanks / Like

I like the latch you built for closing the door.

-- ColdCreekWorks.com --

Post Thanks / Like

All done
    Name:  20150403_212509.jpg
Views: 1084
Size:  35.9 KB
    Name:  20150403_212526.jpg
Views: 1176
Size:  43.6 KB
    Name:  20150403_212533.jpg
Views: 1074
Size:  39.4 KB
    Name:  20150403_212544.jpg
Views: 1084
Size:  35.3 KB
    Name:  20150403_212552.jpg
Views: 1092
Size:  38.2 KB

-- ColdCreekWorks.com --

Post Thanks / Like

More

Name:  20150403_212606.jpg
Views: 1073
Size:  36.8 KB
    Name:  20150403_212622.jpg
Views: 1086
Size:  49.5 KB
    Name:  20150403_212631.jpg
Views: 1118
Size:  39.5 KB

-- ColdCreekWorks.com --

Post Thanks / Like

For those that wish to see the making of it:

Part I

Part II

Part III

-- ColdCreekWorks.com --

Post Thanks / Like

What is the box on the side for? Looks really good, have you tested it yet?

Post Thanks / Like

It is for heating water. I haven't tested it yet. Hopefully early this next week.

-- ColdCreekWorks.com --

Post Thanks / Like

nice.

I built one a couple years ago from 3/16 scrap (its a bit on the heavy side.) It has a full baffle plate with a lever operated bypass. I still need to redo the damper and add a diverter/preheat chamber to the back of the door.

I would add a door seal to yours, its to nice of a build not to have one.

Post Thanks / Like

How did you attach your fiber cord? I haven't trusted any products well enough yet to even attempt a seal

-- ColdCreekWorks.com --

Post Thanks / Like

Friction. Its sitting in a channel made from 1/2" square tubing split lengthwise.

It may or may not be easier to see here:
    Last edited by jar944; 04-08-2015 at 11:43 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

If you do go with the door seal, you may want to add a cam lock type closure to compress the seal.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist