+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Welding machines with dual CC outputs?

Post Thanks / Like

Welding machines with dual CC outputs?

Not sure if I'm posting in the right place here but I'm looking for some feedback on a machine to guys can weld with at the same time. I'm building a new truck and bed and my business partner wants to mount to welders on the truck. Most likely my Ranger 250 and we have a line on a Trailblazer that has no weld output and will need to be dealt with. Years ago I worked or a company that had a Hobart machine with dual CC outputs that two welders could weld with and had separate controls for each output. Iv also seen some MultuQuip welders that had the same options. Any Ideas?

Thanks
    Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welding machines with dual CC outputs?

Look at miller big blues with the dual output. You can also run one engine drive with an inverter welder pligged in as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure if a inverter on my older Ranger 250 with the chopper is a good idea. PC boards and rare and pricey. The miller Dual's Big Blue are way to much! I Think I'll Try some local auctions and see if a MultiQuip pop's up and I think the Trailblazer might be a brush issue, haven't had time to get to it.

Post Thanks / Like

Not going to be many options on the cheap side of things. You might be able to get away with a small machine plugged into a Trailblazer, but output will be limited. Besides that, the only modern offerings that will support two operators either thru a split output or by output plus a plugged in machine are going to be big, expensive Diesel engine drives.

A lot will depend on how many amps you need and for how long. The Vantage line and larger Miller Diesel offerings will easily allow for high weld outputs while supporting a powerful inverter connected to their AC AUX system, but you're going to spend a LOT of money to make it happen. An older MQ dual operator, or possibly a used Miller DuOp may be tangible considerations. Again, it depends on needed output and budget.

You can always go the cheap route by utilizing two smaller air cooled engine drive machines, but other factors will offset savings, such as a much shorter overall lifespan, fuel consumption not to mention they're loud as hell. You'll just have to weigh the differences out and decide what will be the most cost effective value for your needs.

IMHO of course

Post Thanks / Like

Yep! Its looking like we are going to mount 2 machines.. We have the Ranger with high hours, but runs well and dose what it should. The Trail blazer is the same class machine just lost weld output. It's been behind my bosses shop in the weeds, I went over a day ago and the battery is still up and cranked over. I think it will run with a carb rebuild and then I can get after whats wrong with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, sounds like a good solution for now. You can always keep your eye open for a used machine that will suit your needs down the road. Give the brushes a check out on the TB. I don't work on engine drives so that about all I can give you to go on. There's some pretty sharp guys here who do tho.

You might wanna give some of the heavy equipment rental places a look see. I don't usually recommend buying retired rental fleet stuff, but you may happen across a high hour diesel machine in good shape that's at the right price. Of course, most bigger water cooled engine drives are considerably heavier than the smaller air cooled machines. It could be the difference between a bigger truck, or commercial GVWR registration as well. I would personally do whatever I could possible to avoid having to cross the scales, etc if I could. That route gets expensive real fast.

Good luck with it man.

Post Thanks / Like

Are you always going to be running two guys? I would think that a good sized engine drive with an inverter like a maxstar, cst, or dynasty would be nice. It would also give you the option of using onsite power when it was available.
    My name's not Jim....

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist