+ Reply to Thread

Thread: ?? brush noise sa 200 ??

Post Thanks / Like

?? brush noise sa 200 ??

startd up sa 200 thats sat for couple months, and out of the clear blue, there is a noise that isn't real loud, but can bear heard about the same ratio whether your 2 foot way or 30 feet away. ir sounds like a combination between a dry screeching metal against metal sound, and a turbo airish like swirl sound, thats 90% consistant sounding. Eventaully i released and pulled back all armature bruches, and noise went away. Anyone have any ideas whats going on?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: ?? brush noise sa 200 ??

Sounds like there was piece of debris between a brush and the commutator. Could have been a dirt daubers nest, a tiny rock carried up there by a mouse or just a chunk of crap fell off of something. Wouldn't hurt to take the brush band back off and blow everything out good. Since it went away when you moved the brushes I wouldn't think it was the armature bearing, but pay attention if you hear it again. I know I have taken brush holders out before to unstick a brush and when I put it back together I had rotated the holder just enough it made that high pitched squealing / whining sound. I just loosened it back up and rotated it a bit to seat the brushes back where they were originally.

Post Thanks / Like

your right on it pipeliner. rats ate part of an alum wire, and left walnut shells in there w/ nest and all. the leading edge of a brush got a small crack due to the debri running through there. i couldnt find anything embedded in anything. it got dark on me last night. thanks for mentioning about brush holder rotating. i'll go check it out today.

Post Thanks / Like

Those little suckers will set up shop overnight if they get good and ready. I put a fancy vinyl coated choke cable on mine and I swear within 3 days they chewed all the vinyl off of it.

I have a couple of chips in the edges of a few of mine as you described. Unless it runs the full length of the brush don't worry about it. I'm considering siliconing a piece of screen wire in the hole on the bottom of the exciter cap to slow them down.

Post Thanks / Like

i put the brushes in and no noise. anyway, the wire going from armature brush bar to r57 exciter got chewed up. it looks to be orig and is like 12 gua aluminum. both wires coming off r57 are aluminum. Anyone know the reason for these being aluminum? Its just puzzling why this welder is made of copper, and they use alum wires for this. I plan on replacing it w/ copper, unless i hear why from you guys to use alum. Ya pipeliner, i hear a full grown rat can squeeze through a hole the size of a .25 cent piece. i need a cat or two, but the dog keeps them away. my german shepherd catches rats every now and then.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=123weld;5671741i need a cat or two, [/QUOTE]

You have to be careful there. A ball bearing mousetrap is as useless as a politician. The best mousers/ratters are nursing ***** cats, but then you have kittens.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist