Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone ever had to get an MRI scan?

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone ever had to get an MRI scan?

hello everyone, new to the forum here but i got a pretty interesting dilemma. my doctor suggested getting an mri of my head because of consistent headaches. so i go in no biggie they hand you this big checklist board and basically a yes no checklist till you get to the bottom BIG BOLD LETTERS "if you have every done any grinding, cutting, welding etc without safetly glasses you may have particles in your eyes" you get the drift. so i end up declining the scan. i have had **** in my eyes before now i dont know if that is metal or not but i was told steel rusts when it gets in your eye? i have never had eye injuries leading me in the hospital before. SO now i am told to get an xray then get a mri. well i would assume after i get cleared from xray i go straight to the MRI. not the case. now i go to work for 2 weeks before i can be scheduled an MRI? i mean its not like i grind and cut everyday but i sure as hell do it alot. well at this point i have been wearing safetly glasses like a hawk but tomorrow is my MRI and im pretty scared to be honest. my headaches are not bad enough that i would lose my sight in some stupid MRI machine. if anyone has ever had one let me know...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anyone ever had to get an MRI scan?

I doubt you would lose your sight..usually the magnetic field inside the machine just sucks your eyeballs out and they sorta hang there...just pop them back in.

Happens to me all the time at the titzy bar.

Post Thanks / Like

Of all the things I lost I miss my mind the most...
    I know just enough about everything to be dangerous......
    You cant cure stupid..only kill it...

Post Thanks / Like

I have had steel slivers stuck in my eyes, and it never happened that I was not acutely aware of it.
    Even got one out myself with a toothpick I kind of softened a bit first.
    I have also had MRIs subsequently, with no issues.

Obviously, I may not be the pest person to emulate

Hobart Beta-Mig 251
    1972 Miller AEAD-200LE
    Miller 250 Twin
    Northern Ind. Hybrid 200
    Longevity Stick 140
    Longevity Migweld 200S
    Thermal Arc Pak 3XR

Post Thanks / Like

I just had one a few weeks ago. They gave me the same thing but basically, unless you have a shard in your eye currently or have had metal implants from surgery they will scan you. I typically have a nice silty layer of grinder dust in my skin and my face didn't peel off during the scan.
    esab 260 multimaster
    new tech 150 invertor
    lincoln 140 cheapo

Post Thanks / Like

I've had several MRI's in the last 27 years and I had an eye injury in 1982 when a needle off a wire wheel got through my glasses and hit me in the left eye. By the time that I went to the Dr it looked like a cherry tomato. He said that it had already started healing over and that he wouldn't dig the trash out. Got the xrays before each MRI and straight to the machine. Never had a problem. Tell the lab about the limitations of their schedule so that they do both in one trip. One time the power failed while I was in and I had to lay there for almost an hour. They were going to pull me out by hand but then the power came back so got to start from the beginning again. BTW, There are Imaging Centers that do MRI's, Cat scans, etc. If one place can't accommodate you then check with another, they are pretty competitive. If you're clostraphobic they can give you a pill that will relax you before going in the tube.

My younger brother was having headaches too, an MRI showed that he had a tumor the size of a grapefruit on his brain.....He was always a fruitcake, strange guy. I always thought that a brain was about the size of a grapefruit, he must not have much left. After the surgery my sister called to see how he was and he spent an hour cussing her out and yelling at her. She told me "nothing changed, same old Jon. Don't bother calling".

Good Luck,
    Capt Ron

Post Thanks / Like

They can do x-rays or other tests to see if there's any metal in your eyes or body. I had 2 MRI's about 3 weeks apart. They gave me a pamphlet that said for the examination I would be lying comfortably inside an air conditioned magnet! It was more like being inside a jack hammer but no pain. Can be a challenge if you have claustrophobia though.

Post Thanks / Like

you'd know if you currently have metal in your eye or not. i 've had enough mri i laetly i can tell you half the procedure codes on the upper half of body. there just trying there best to release themselves from liability. you do the opposite when you show up. that form they give you w/ all the boxes to check for symptoms your feeling, check yes on all of them. note you have pain, in all different ways, you are unaware if your allergic to any medecines, and ask for a photocopy of it, or to photograph it. the radiologist will know to be on the double. the only ear plugs they give you for a neck or head, are the little yellow ones that go in your ear. i crammed three pair in. the mri machine is loud w/o the head phone set thats used on lower parts of body. if its a 1.5tesla machine ( which is the industry standard ) it will still be very loud and uncomfotable. The ideal machine for the brain and small bone fractures is the 3.0 tesla, it gives clearer definition of smaller stuff. 3.0 are rare. the number before the tesla represents the magnetic force. in other words the 3.0 would suck the metal out of your body w/ twice the force. insist they supply you w/ all your garments, i have read that some of the dyes in clothing can be effected by the 3.0 the 3.0 is louder, but your scantime will be cut down by almost half. If your having it w/ contrast, drink lots of water for next 48hrs, the stuff doesn't help you or your kidneys
    Last edited by 123weld; 04-02-2015 at 01:47 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

They gave me the same thing but basically, unless you have a shard in your eye currently or have had metal implants from surgery they will scan you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wornoutoldwelder View Post
    I doubt you would lose your sight..usually the magnetic field inside the machine just sucks your eyeballs out and they sorta hang there...just pop them back in.

Happens to me all the time at the titzy bar.
    Lol this gave me a good laugh,

anyways thanks for all the replies

Post Thanks / Like

I had an mri of my knee last year and they said "please put all metal objects into this bin" and i think the guy shat a brick when i put an h&k p30 9mm and a spare mag into the bin with my keys, phone and wallet. My ortho doc is a shooter and condones carry in his office!

Post Thanks / Like

I have had a few and no issues . They need to cover their a$$ just in case.

Post Thanks / Like

The reason they like mri over other procedures is no radiation. I can't get them cuz of Cochlear Implants. Unless I have surgery to remove the ferrous disks in my skull first...
    Tiger Sales: AHP Distributor www.tigersalesco.com
    AHP200x; AHP 160ST; MM350P, Spoolmatic 30A; Everlast PowerTig 185; Thermal Dynamics 60i plasma.
    For Sale: Cobra Mig 250 w/ Push-pull gun. Lincoln Wirematic 250

Post Thanks / Like

I get MRI's every year last year I did not put my wallet in the locker and it wiped out all my magnetic strips on bank and credit cards LMAO.
    I do agree they are asking for liability reasons.
    Lincoln A/C 225
    Everlast P/A 200

Post Thanks / Like

well i didnt die, so i was freaking out over nothing haha. anyway i guess my doc will get the results monday.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by guinelle1 View Post
    well i didnt die, so i was freaking out over nothing haha. anyway i guess my doc will get the results monday.
    Nothing happened but still a good question. Good luck to you.

Post Thanks / Like

I've had a lot of trouble with headaches over the years, migraines and such. You might want to google migraine triggers. Mine are mostly diet related. I can't eat onions, bananas, aged cheeses like cheddar, smoked foods, can't drink too much coffee, can't drink red wine at all. There are a whole bunch of things that trigger migraines.

Post Thanks / Like

My mother is an MRI tech, those magnets are pretty neat, she stays pretty up to date on the technology too. She was telling me there was a 20 tesla unit that will be online sometime this year or next, crazy powerful!

Maybe that one can pull all the metal **** out of me!
    Miller Spoolmate 200 w/t S-52 Wirefeeder
    MM 211
    '09 Miller Trailblazer 302

Post Thanks / Like

I got 2 today with no problems. Had something removed from my eye about a month ago and they said there was still rust in there too.
    Yeah, I know, but it'll be ok!

Lincoln Square wave 255
    Miller Vintage mig
    30a spoolgun
    Thermal Dynamics Pacmaster 100xl plasma
    Smith mc torch
    Ellis 1600 band saw

Post Thanks / Like

I used to go to a Dentist who had a gun drawer next to the chair . It was mainly so you wouldn't pull up on him if he hurt you

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Duffin View Post
    My mother is an MRI tech, those magnets are pretty neat, she stays pretty up to date on the technology too. She was telling me there was a 20 tesla unit that will be online sometime this year or next, crazy powerful!

Maybe that one can pull all the metal **** out of me!

It looks like it's actually 11.75T because they went with a different type of wire instead of one that could theoretically produce 20T.
    That's still completely insane.
    Welding/Fab Pics: www.UtahWeld.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MikeGyver View Post

It looks like it's actually 11.75T because they went with a different type of wire instead of one that could theoretically produce 20T.
    That's still completely insane.
    Oh no kidding, yeah that's the one, something about niobidium-titanium vs niobidium-tin....neat technology, from what I understand right now they flip the polarities on hydrogen atoms to produce an "image" but with more powerful units they can do it with sodium, and I guess that results in a more sharper image

And they do have 20t units, just not big enough for a human, strictly research role
    Miller Spoolmate 200 w/t S-52 Wirefeeder
    MM 211
    '09 Miller Trailblazer 302

Post Thanks / Like

There's a 45T magnet in Florida that's used for research, still the strongest in the world I believe.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MikeGyver View Post
    There's a 45T magnet in Florida that's used for research, still the strongest in the world I believe.

WOW!, That's impressive tech!

Sounds like we are almost at the "Beam me up, Scotty" stage, huh?

As far as that 45T magnet that they already proved....do you think it can be used to forcefully repel really fat chicks away from the fridge?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wornoutoldwelder View Post
    WOW!, That's impressive tech!

Sounds like we are almost at the "Beam me up, Scotty" stage, huh?

As far as that 45T magnet that they already proved....do you think it can be used to forcefully repel really fat chicks away from the fridge?
    They said human eyes aren't even safe near it. But unfortunately, no magnetic field known to man is THAT strong.
    not even...

Fun fact:
    Magnetars, one of the most bizarre objects in the universe, are a type of small neutron star whose magnetic field strength is around 100,000,000,000 teslas (that's 10^11T).

Last edited by MikeGyver; 04-03-2015 at 04:30 AM.