+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pics of my truck and welding trailer

Post Thanks / Like

Pics of my truck and welding trailer

Here's some pics of the welding trailer and my truck. Just got the machine set down on it Monday(and i think we bent the middle of the pipe on the A frame doing it! ). It's still running and welding good. I'll be pulling it around doing jobs soon! Just got some new rear tires for the truck, 33-12.5-16.5 BFG all-terrain's on factory 12" wide rims. New 235/85/16's for the front are on the list now. I've had this truck for three years. It's been in the family since 1978 till Grandpaw retired it in '96 and sent it to pasture. It's never let me down, and it's probably got 250,000 miles or more on it and still goin strong. More pics of the welder and truck will be here tomorrow.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by RobertDoubrava; 05-02-2006 at 07:01 PM.
    RD

1984 Chevrolet C30 welding truck
    1966 Lincoln SA200 Continental F162
    1942 Lincoln SA200 Hercules IXB-5
    1991 Lincoln LN25

2. Likes roadslag liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    good luck with your set-up

now you need a
    generator
    grinders
    torches
    vise
    cords
    clamps
    hammers
    FIRE EXTINGUISHERS
    lights
    camera
    action!!

have fun

...zap!

I am not completely insane..
    Some parts are missing

Professional Driver on a closed course....
    Do not attempt.

Just because I'm a dumbass don't mean that you can be too.
    So DON'T try any of this **** l do at home.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks man. The oxy/gas cylinders and all other tools are in the shed. A generator would be nice though! Running the grinder off of the exciter outlet will work till then. And yeah I have fire extinguishers, I'm gonna put one in my truck too.
    RD

1991 Lincoln LN25

Post Thanks / Like
    looks good
    IF it Catches...Let it Burn

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good there. Could be that A frame is ready to be turned into a swingset tho. Does have a little wowy in the middle, don't it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertDoubrava
    Here's some pics of the welding trailer and my truck. Just got the machine set down on it Monday(and i think we bent the middle of the pipe on the A frame doing it! ). It's still running and welding good. I'll be pulling it around doing jobs soon! Just got some new rear tires for the truck, 33-12.5-16.5 BFG all-terrain's on factory 12" wide rims. New 235/85/16's for the front are on the list now. I've had this truck for three years. It's been in the family since 1978 till Grandpaw retired it in '96 and sent it to pasture. It's never let me down, and it's probably got 250,000 miles or more on it and still goin strong. More pics of the welder and truck will be here tomorrow.
    It looks like you bent your gantry. How much do you think the welder weighs?
    I was just wondering as I'm just trying to get and idea of what mine will hold, and it should hold more then that pipe. Keep the old stuff running. I like vintage.
    Being "over the hill" is much better than being under it!

Post Thanks / Like
    That welder is bound to weigh in close to 1500 lb could be more could be less...but 1500 is close enough to get you in a ball park to tell hyou what your gantry will handle

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm guessing that rig weights about 2000lbs. I've been told that it weighs 4000lbs, but I know that's not right. It's just a little big bigger than a SA200 and has a bigger engine so they should be close. That pipe on the A frame is 4 inch and it's pretty rusty and I'll bet it's older than my truck is. There's some small rust holes right at the ends of the pipe so I'll probably cut that lifting hook off the old pipe and weld it to a new section. The A poles are in good shape though, it's about 10 or 12ft tall when assembled. I'll have the other pics later today.........
    RD

1991 Lincoln LN25

Post Thanks / Like
    More welder pics and one of the side of the trailer. I'm gonna buy either some 7.5-16 or 235/85/16 HD tires for it since I have some extra 16" 8 lug wheels, those are 33-12.5-16.5's on it on 12" wide wagon wheels, there's no reason to have tires that big on a trailer. The engine in the welder is the factory Hercules 320CI straight six with a Zenith carb, oil bath breather, and the charging system has been converted to 12V, still + ground. No muffler, just 1.5ft of straight pipe with a new weathercap. The welder will get new brushes soon, and new 1/0 leads. You can also see the rust problem on the top of the sheetmetal, I sanded the **** out of it and shot a couple coats of primer on it last month. The doors and frame of it are really solid, just need to paint 'em gray to match the rest. Oh yeah that red toolbox was made probably 40 years ago, it holds the torch, hoses, regulators, hammers, etc and weighs about 300lbs with all the stuff inside, this is one heavy trailer.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    RD

1991 Lincoln LN25

Post Thanks / Like
    you live in Beeville? I read about beeville recently. boycotting exxon

Post Thanks / Like
    the current sae 400 weights approx 2157

Post Thanks / Like
    thats a diesel too

Post Thanks / Like
    Comment : sae 300's & bigger are really sweet welders, except at refueling time. I worked with guys with sa200's w/the continental 4 cylinder -they used 12 gallons in 8 hours(doing the work we did) my sa250 diesel (3cylinder Perkins) used 5gallons in 11hours ! I don't wanna guess how much you use in that herc. (i can't afford it) I bet you smile & say : yeah, but it's paid for !

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah Tx they're saying to boycott all the Exxon stations since that corporate guy got all that money. We buy gas at DiamondShamrock(VALERO), but there's about 5 Exxon stations around here. I don't think everyone will boycott 'em here since all those stations have the best dam* breakfast tacos around.

That Herc engine isn't too bad on gas, you just need to weld what you have to and shut 'er down. Just letting it idle will burn up gas quick. I know the carb needs to be gone through since it sat on the floorboard of my truck for a couple of years when the welder and pickup were still retired. The manifold on the welder engine had rusted and it was supposed to be brazed but sat in the shed for a couple years till we got it fixed and freed up some stuck valves on the engine. I don't know where to find a kit for the carb though, I'm not sure if NAPA can get one so I'm gonna call 'em tomorrow. Anyway I have a small job tomorrow welding a pipe on a barn frame and I should be hauling some 4" I beam Saturday if everything goes right. I should have around $150 by Saturday though! My truck is a gas guzzler so I need all the gas money I can get.
    RD

1991 Lincoln LN25

Post Thanks / Like
    Little update here: Now I have the oxy/propane cylinders on the trailer along with a truck bed cross box on the front of the trailer. I bought the toolbox for my truck but it won't fit because of the headache rack and spare tire being in the way so I put it on the trailer. I was only out $20 on the box but now I'll get some use out of it. Some 10 ply tires, the wiring for the lights, and the license plate bracket are all I need. Oh and the whole dam# thing needs to be painted, then it oughtta look respectable. I'll have pics in a couple days.
    RD

1991 Lincoln LN25

Post Thanks / Like
    Iv'e had a couple of those 1970's year trucks and they are simply the best, the last one I gave to my son, My father bought it new in 72 for a wopping 3600 dollars, 3/4 ton, v8 still runs and drives daily. should have bought 4 and put them in storage. I tell my son where do you think my f350 deisel will be in 35 years for the 35 grand it cost me?

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah these old Chevy/GMC trucks are real workhorses. I wanna try to get a dually and drop a Cummins diesel in one with a 5 speed, that won't happen for a long time though!(mine's getting a 4 speed soon!)
    RD

1991 Lincoln LN25

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist