Thread: Hand-held Stud Welder

Post Thanks / Like

Hand-held Stud Welder

I'm looking for some information on hand-held (preferably auto-fed) stud welders, I'm doing some TPS improvement work at my shop and believe that a system like this could potentially benefit us and our production times greatly. My main question is, of the systems I can find I can only find ones such as the HBS PAH-1 which welds the studs flange side down, for my purposes I would need a system that could load and weld studs the opposite direction (with the stud going through a hole and the flange resting on top of a metal plate opposite the stud). Does anyone know if a system like this exists? And if so could you possibly point me in the direction of where I could start looking for one?

Thank you for any assistance or information you can give me,

Alex Martin

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hand-held Stud Welder

why does it have to inserted through a hole? Sounds like a capacitance discharge stud welder is what you need.

we have a very large drawn arc unit that will shoot up to 1 1/2" headed or threaded studs.

http://www.nelsonstud.com/Portal/Pro...1/Default.aspx
    Vantage 500's LN-25's, VI-400's, cobramatics, Miller migs, synch 350 LX, Powcon inverters, XMT's, 250 Ton Acurrpress 12' brake, 1/4" 10' Atlantic shear,Koikie plasma table W/ esab plasmas. marvel & hyd-mech saws, pirrana & metal muncher punches.

Post Thanks / Like

Due to customer design requests the flange of the stud has to be on the opposite side of the plate with the stud through the hole, I will try to create a diagram to better explain however I cannot mention the customer or the exact design due to document control regulations, I will look at your link and see if it could be of use though thank you
    Last edited by Alex Martin; 04-12-2015 at 09:44 PM. Reason: Mistakenly hit the submit button

Post Thanks / Like

Vantage 500's LN-25's, VI-400's, cobramatics, Miller migs, synch 350 LX, Powcon inverters, XMT's, 250 Ton Acurrpress 12' brake, 1/4" 10' Atlantic shear,Koikie plasma table W/ esab plasmas. marvel & hyd-mech saws, pirrana & metal muncher punches.

Post Thanks / Like

If your welding a stud to the backside of a plate why not grind a point on a stud and weld it to the backside of the plate?
    Chris
    Auction Addict

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately due to customer design specifications we are not allowed to modify the actual components, we can only modify our process for putting them together. I work in a shop that produces so many parts that we are trying to save even 1-2 seconds per part on any given process (obviously more is better) and I think that could be done if we were to do it by hand, the issue is that I am not currently sure that such technology exists which would allow us to perform the work without modifying the components. I have drawn some extremely basic diagrams representing the process as we need it to be performed. Hopefully they will provide some slight clarification in to what my request for information is regarding.

Post Thanks / Like

Do call Nelson, they might be able to set something up. Also check the web for other Stud welding manufactures. There is a few different systems out there. Try talking directly to the welder manufactures and not just a welding supply store.Use the stores as a way to contact the manufactures.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the suggestions I'll look in to it and come back if I have any more questions