Thread: 3G-4G flux core or 3G-4G stick certs

Post Thanks / Like

3G-4G flux core or 3G-4G stick certs

What do you guys think about 3G-4G flux core or 3G-4G stick certs what should I go for As I'm planning to move to Omaha Nebraska but before that I need to figure out what cert to take
    Last edited by arocha49; 04-20-2015 at 02:03 AM.
    Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 3G-4G flux core or 3G-4G stick certs

What do you need the certs for?
    Just a couple welders, big hammers, grinders, and torches.
    Work will free you.
    Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
    Trump/Carson 2016-2024

Post Thanks / Like

The question is what do you prefer welding? Stick or Wire feed? Or ask AK asked. what do you even need them for? Where do you plan on going? Ironworking? Ironworking utilizes a lot of Flux core for moment welds. These will all be flat welds with a backing bar. Very simple and easy. Then you will get some 45's for cross members. and some horizontal.
    Usually when I was ironworking and welding I would use the Flux core for these joint fit ups because it was quicker. Gasless FCAW. very very easy welding. Then you will have the welds you will need to use stick here and there.

What type of job are you wanting to take in Omaha? assembly line welding? shop fabrication? If your going into a job scene as a welder. The company will pay for your certification testing themselves. I would not come out of pocket for a welding test unless your a 3rd party contractor, licensed and insured for jobs. Several pipeline welders I have ran across have their own certs in hand, but only because the company they are welding the pipeline for that's all they ask for. Then there are real deal pipeline laying companies that want you to come to their facility and take a branch on T connection or a Y connection weld or a in-service simulated weld. Things get critical out in the field so they want to see you can do it in person.

Post Thanks / Like

Mr. Davenport is correct.

If you're a single hand welder and you tell a prospective employer that you're certified in a process, they'll say, "Good, you won't have any problem passing our weld test."

I guess it might help get your foot in the door if you don't have experience, but I've never been on a job that they would take your word for it that you're a competent welder.

If you're determined to get certs before you look for a job, consider that 7018 has the broadest use of any electrode in construction.

Post Thanks / Like

well im thinking going to shop weld or union but i dont if i have to go as a aprrentice or i can just get in whats u guys opinion on 6G pipe cert
    Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by arocha49 View Post
    whats u guys opinion on 6G pipe cert
    That is what most places will test you on. With either SMAW, or GTAW, or combination of both. Reason being you get several positions at once, and they can bust you out on how you put your tacks in, or even the root. 6-G can save the company a lot of money in just a few minutes!
    Donít pay any attention to me
    Iím just a hobbyist!

Carl

Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400

Post Thanks / Like

What do you mean by go get your certs? Are you currently welding well enough to pass your test? Have you ever tried it or is this all in your mind ideas? If I were you I would head right down to that union hall and say you want a apprenticeship and work side by side with some pipe welders for a while and they will teach you on the job training. When you know your ready to pass a test then you can go for it and do your thing.

I wish I went into the union when I first started out. Would have been a lot better in the long run. But I had to get it where the getting was good and it wasn't an option for me at the time. I would have been 7-8 years in now with a pension and benefits.

It sounds like your a little unsure what you want to get or if you have the experience to pass one I don't know. But by all means learn how to take the pipe test. It is the best route out there in my opinion .

Post Thanks / Like

So right I'm on an advanced welding class and after this one it's the certs class where I can go for the actual certs I just don't know what certs to take and what welding process us most used
    Angel

Post Thanks / Like

if your wanting to go into "the field" you will be using Gasless FCAW or Stick (SMAW).

Im just not a big fan of structural welding. Don't get me wrong its great to know and learn. Easy to do. Its just that that is not my day in day out forte. I would rather weld pipe lol. You should try to practice some 6G pipe welding coupons. 4" sch.80 or 6" sch.120.... With a pipe certification you will be able to make more money. And it might keep you out of some really nasty dirty structural jobs. But hey don't let me steer you into the wrong direction. Go with your heart. I love Stick welding so I will Vote take your stick tests. if you have a choice of what you can take. Take them all.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by arocha49 View Post
    I just don't know what certs to take and what welding process us most used
    I would get the AWS unlimited 3-G, and 4-G with GMAW, and self shielded flux core.
    Then the UA-6, GTAW & SMAW 2“ XXS, 6-G. And the UA-8, SMAW 2“ sch 80, 6-G.
    http://ppatks.org/assets/uploads/Wel..._Test_List.pdf
    Last edited by CEP; 04-21-2015 at 04:42 PM.
    Donít pay any attention to me
    Iím just a hobbyist!

Carl

Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CEP View Post
    I would get the AWS unlimited 3-G, and 4-G with GMAW, and self shielded flux core.
    Then the UA-6, GTAW & SMAW 2“ XXS, 6-G. And the UA8, SMAW 2“ sch 80, 6-G.
    http://ppatks.org/assets/uploads/Wel..._Test_List.pdf
    Wow CEP I really like that weld cert listing you have there. Im going to save that one!!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm curious to see which certs the OP decided to go with

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk