Thread: Beginner welders common problem

Post Thanks / Like

Beginner welders common problem

It seems like there's more and more newbies getting into welding and asking for opinions on their progress and how to set their machine, etc., etc. One big problem I see with about 90% of these posts is that they're trying to get good results on the worst possible pieces of unknown (s)crap metal they can find. Aside from paying a little more to get a better machine, spend $20 or $30 and get some decent flat bar to learn on. Don't make it harder on yourself.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Beginner welders common problem

Just a couple welders, big hammers, grinders, and torches.
    Work will free you.
    Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
    Trump/Carson 2016-2024

Post Thanks / Like

As one of these "newbies" I would like to recommend Angle 1.5 or 2.0" for welding practice. Cut it into 2-3" pieces and you end up with all sorts of possibilities, from just running a few beads to practicing your fillets, butts, lap, etc... Bonus, they clamp together real easy and you get inside and outside corners that you can mess with also.

Hell just grab a couple of lengths from Lowes or Home Depot, cut em' into 2-3" pieces and you've got a few days worth of practice material with a known hot rolled mild steel.

FWIW

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Revlis View Post

Hell just grab a couple of lengths from Lowes or Home Depot, cut em' into 2-3" pieces and you've got a few days worth of practice material with a known hot rolled mild steel.
    Box store stel is just about as expensive as you can get. If you are getting into this, you'll find a good steel supplier is dirt cheap compared to what you would pay at Depot/Lowes.

2-3" in length is a bit short in my opinion. 3" of weld is the minimum I want to see from students. Anything shorter and it's tough to tell if they are being consistent. When I started learning years ago, we learned on 12" lengths of angle with stick. That forced at least one restart on each pass down that 12" length. On short stuff you never have to learn to do restarts when you need to change a rod. That length is a bit long for mig/tig. At the tech school all our coupons are 3" wide and 6" long and that seems to work well for joints.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DSW View Post
    Box store stel is just about as expensive as you can get. If you are getting into this, you'll find a good steel supplier is dirt cheap compared to what you would pay at Depot/Lowes.

2-3" in length is a bit short in my opinion. 3" of weld is the minimum I want to see from students. Anything shorter and it's tough to tell if they are being consistent. When I started learning years ago, we learned on 12" lengths of angle with stick. That forced at least one restart on each pass down that 12" length. On short stuff you never have to learn to do restarts when you need to change a rod. That length is a bit long for mig/tig. At the tech school all our coupons are 3" wide and 6" long and that seems to work well for joints.
    Only reason I mentioned Lowes etc... is commonality, easy to find, everyone should have access. But yeah, not a cheap way to go about it.

Good point on length, will likely be cutting mine longer given your input, thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

I would guess the steel would cost 1/2 to a 1/3 less at a steel yard then at Home Depot.

The difference is insane.
    Just a couple welders, big hammers, grinders, and torches.
    Work will free you.
    Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
    Trump/Carson 2016-2024

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Dave if you want something to really complain about I suggest you read the gas cylinder threads. Really hard to give correct advice on that kind of stuff since regulations and policies vary in so many locations.

Post Thanks / Like

I wasn't complaining. I was making an observation that will make a huge difference in someone's progress. Safe practices for torches and cylinders is universal. The thread about people lifting cylinders by the cap and/or modifying the cap for lifting was scary to say the least.

Post Thanks / Like

Go here and get some of the project kits. Nice clean new cold rolled steel for not a lot of money, and it is already cut into coupon sizes for TIG or MIG. Might be a tad small for running stick. You get 2 pieces of 3x3 1/4 inch plate and 6 pieces of 2x6 1/8th inch plate, all cold rolled steel, for $5, shipped. Just freaking awesome for TIG or MIG coupons for practice. I bought 10 "kits" and it arrived in two fairly large boxes. They have a small amount of oxidation on them that comes right off with a light sanding, but no mill scale.

http://www.jflfoundation.com/Product...ductCode=METAL
    Miller Multimatic 255

Post Thanks / Like

I pay .040 cents a pound for new scrap steel

Post Thanks / Like

Go to a local welding shop and dig through their bone pile. My LWS gives me a ton of scraps for free. They are too small for them to mess with, but are great for some of my smaller projects, gussets, and practice pieces. Most of it is headed to the recycler anyway.
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Miller 252
    Miller 250x
    Miller Syncrowave 250
    Miller AEAD200 Legend
    Miller 375 Xtreme plasma
    Lincoln WeldPak 100
    Victor O/A

Post Thanks / Like

Ask if you can get some scrap from a welding shop. Don't just help yourself. They're getting paid for their scrap.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DSW View Post
    It looks to me usually, they buy 20' pieces and cut them into 4 or 5 equal lengths and sell each piece for the price of the 20' piece. Talk about mark up.
    Go price steel at your local steel yard, and you will see what I mean.

Post Thanks / Like

As a hobbyist I get all my aluminum and Steel from onlinemetals.com. Shipping is superfast. For me this is more convenient than a steel yard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Welder Dave View Post
    I wasn't complaining. I was making an observation that will make a huge difference in someone's progress. Safe practices for torches and cylinders is universal. The thread about people lifting cylinders by the cap and/or modifying the cap for lifting was scary to say the least.
    You should see the way cylinders used to be hoisted on construction sites by crane upside down with one sling. This is no longer allowed by the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1430847728945.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  23.3 KB didn't know what anyone though about these 7018 welds. Any good?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by motolife313 View Post
    I pay .040 cents a pound for new scrap steel
    motolife313, what area are you in? I live between Seattle and Everett WA and the best place I have found that lets me go through the scrap bin and rummage around the saw charges 70 cents a pound. Pretty much any length of material I can find under 4' is charged as scrap. I've been OK with 70 but 40 cents sounds better.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrporter View Post
    motolife313, what area are you in? I live between Seattle and Everett WA and the best place I have found that lets me go through the scrap bin and rummage around the saw charges 70 cents a pound. Pretty much any length of material I can find under 4' is charged as scrap. I've been OK with 70 but 40 cents sounds better.
    0.040 cents a pound is four one hundredths of a penny per pound. But assuming he meant 0.040 dollars per pound that is still only 4 cents a pound.

Around here the scrap yards buy steel at 4 cents a pound. But they charge $250 to empty their 8'x12'x6' bin. So around here if you ask the shop to go through their bin they are generally more than happy to let you.
    The yard I am working in right now (I'm a sparky) there is a farmer that comes in every thursday and goes through the bins and takes a pickup full of crap with him.