+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New to me 135

Post Thanks / Like

New to me 135

I have searched this model and found some wire feed issues which were relatively easily corrected. Please share anything else about the Hobart Handler 135 that you feel is pertinent. I got it for 250 off of Craig's with a small tank of c25 from a member here. He laid down a fine bead right before my eyes. If you are reading this Mike; thanks big time!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New to me 135

The biggest issue with the Handler 135 has been that components Q1, PTC1, or CR1 on the control board can fail at anytime. Luckily they are relatively inexpensive components that can be purchased through on-line electronics components suppliers. A redesign of the Handler 135 with the Handler 140 seems to have cured these troublesome failures.

Depending on how it has been treated, the H-10 gun does have some issues with the power cable conductor(s), in the lead, breaking at the crimp connection point at the power pin end.
    ESAB Migmaster 250
    Hobart Ironman 230
    Multimatic 215
    TWECO Fabricator 181i & 211i
    HH125EZ - nice little fluxcore only unit

Maxstar 150 STH - very nice

Post Thanks / Like

Hey! Thanks for the info! The machine I purchased appears to be well loved and the weld the seller laid down before I purchased was masterful! But I will be on the lookout for those specific problems in the future! Thank you again!

Post Thanks / Like

If you don't get the voltage selector switch set exactly at one of 1-4 detent selections the wire won't feed. Over the years this has fool several into thinking something was wrong with their unit.

Keep an eye on the tightness of the thumb screw on the aluminum power block on the wire feed drive assembly. If it isn't tight you'll have a poor electrical contact point between the power pin and power block, which will more than likely result in arcing that damage the power block, and it'll need to be replaced. This happened to me and some others. It was my fault on my unit though, because it had been sitting around unused for a couple years. So I should have check the tightness of the thumb screw before using it. I got lucky though, since I am a test site for Hobart they sent me a new power block for free. I've made it a permanent practice now, on my Handler 210 MVP, to check the thumb screw before every use.
    ESAB Migmaster 250
    Hobart Ironman 230
    Multimatic 215

Post Thanks / Like

More good stuff! Thanks again! And to think; a month ago I didn't have a welder and now I have a miller dynasty and a Hobart handler. I was just browsing Craig's when I happened upon the Hobart. I knew it was a good deal and when I saw that the ad was posted a hour before I knew I had to act fast. The first sentence in my email to the seller was, "I will pay your asking price.". I am gonna post a pic of the sample weld he laid down. I will post the pic tomorrow because I left it at work.

Post Thanks / Like

A day late and a dollar short.

Post Thanks / Like

He didn't even clean up the metal. That weld was the proof I needed in the machine I was buying. 1/8" thick mild steel t-joint.

Post Thanks / Like

Honestly, that weld is on the cold side. Do you remember if it was produced with tap #4?
    ESAB Migmaster 250
    Hobart Ironman 230
    Multimatic 215

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Honestly, that weld is on the cold side. Do you remember if it was produced with tap #4?
    I don't recall.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist