+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LED shop lights

Post Thanks / Like

LED shop lights

Have any of you guys tried these out? Folks in another forum seem to like them. Thinking about buying a bunch for my shop.

http://www.costco.com/Feit-Electric-...100155638.html

Post Thanks / Like

Re: LED shop lights

I saw these at friends house last weekend. I was really impressed at how bright they were. He said he had only had them a few weeks, so the jury was still out on how well they would last.

Post Thanks / Like

My lil woman bought a couple. Put one up so far to replace a fixture with a flakey ballast. It is a whiter light is about all I can say. Can't say that it covers any bigger area or lights things up any better. Hopefully it will last longer. Better, their on the box claim is like two & a half bazillion hours.
    "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -Theodore Roosevelt

Post Thanks / Like

I bought two recently from Sams. I'm replacing some old T12 & T8 lights in my shop. So far I am very happy with them.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/4ft-led....ip?navAction=
    MillerMatic 212, Lincoln Precision TIG 225, Hypertherm 45XP

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't bought those ones, but I did buy 24 or so of the same companies led can light conversions. I only have a year on them, but haven't has an issue yet. Lowes had some similar led shop lights like these. Put a few up in the garage and it's like daylight in there. About a year on those as well with no problems. Don't remember the name of them tho. $69.99 found them on sale for $49.99 and bought four of them.
    Lincoln Pro Mig 180
    Lincoln Pro Core 125
    Hypertherm 30xp
    Porter Cable Drill Press
    Acra 7x12 bandsaw
    48" sheet metal brake
    Crap load of other tools, working on metal now.

Post Thanks / Like

I was in Costco tonight making a return, and the guy in line behind me was returning one of those lights. I asked him if they were any good and why he was returning it. He said there was a standard plug on the chord and the light was on when plugged in. No switch or pull chain, so have to unplug to turn off unless your outlet is switched. Not sure if they are all like that or not, but be good to check before you buy if you want a switched light.

Post Thanks / Like

They make two different models. One with a switch and one without. The one with is near impossible to find.
    We have these in our facility as task lighting, no problems so far.
    There is plenty of room inside the end with the cord to install a toggle switch.
    That is what I did on all of ours.
    I like the white light(cool white) much better than the orange light(warm white) of the old flourescent fixtures.

Post Thanks / Like

Check to see what your state offers. VT has Efficiency VT. They offer an incentive program to convert from less energy efficient lighting. Here it makes LED nearly the same cost as fluorescent. Sadly rates rise each time they come up with energy savings You have to upgrade to more efficient to avoid higher bills.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

I got some very similar lights (different brand, comes with pull switch) from the BORG for same price and they work well. I have an unheated shop and I was tired of the old fluorescent lights not coming on reliably, and tired of replacing tubes. The new lights have a good color temperature and come one when I turn on the switch, every time. I'll never buy fluorescent lights (tubes or CFL) again.

Post Thanks / Like

Of course if you want to take advantage of the fat American dollar you can buy in Canada...http://interlakeresources.com/led-shop-light/
    That $349 Cdn. price tag is pricey, but also pay attention to the lumens...Costco was 3700, Sam's was 4200, but this one is 7200 for the 3 tube, and 14,500 for the 6 tube ($649 Cdn.). I'm looking for about 8 to 10 fixtures for the new shop.
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

I bought those to hang low over work tables and stationary machines. The ceiling is 12 ft and has T-8s with reflectors which are pretty bright but with the lower hanging 4 foot LED it makes the work areas even brighter. So far I like them.

Now I see they have a LED direct replacement for a T-8 lamp for around $20 each. I'll have to wait a while before I replace all 32 of my T-8 lamps.
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC 225/150
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigb View Post
    I bought those to hang low over work tables and stationary machines. The ceiling is 12 ft and has T-8s with reflectors which are pretty bright but with the lower hanging 4 foot LED it makes the work areas even brighter. So far I like them.

Now I see they have a LED direct replacement for a T-8 lamp for around $20 each. I'll have to wait a while before I replace all 32 of my T-8 lamps.
    On those direct replacements you still need to get in there and wire past the ballast don't ya? Most of my shop fixtures are the extra cheap 'shop lights' and I'm paying for it in other ways. Most of them are so flimsy they barely hold up to a bulb change. Never again... If I have to take one down and take it apart to rewire I'm going to take that one extra step over to the trash can and replace the whole fixture. The one I did replace I unhooked the chains, took it out to the truck, gave to a buddy. He ran off quick like it was a real treasure. . Any more I do it'll be the entire fixture I think. Drop the old, hang the new.
    "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -Theodore Roosevelt

Post Thanks / Like

I found some at 1000Bulbs.com . They have both kinds (direct replacement with ballast or direct wire and remove ballast) at about $20 a bulb.
    Craftsman 230/140 AC/DC Miller HF-251D-1
    Millermatic 130 Linclon 40 amp plasma cutter
    Hypertherm Max 20 O/A cutting and welding stuff
    5HP Ingersoll air compressor

Post Thanks / Like

Just put 8 in my shop. @ 4000 lumens ea. WOW. VERY nice coverage without being obnoxious. Very happy with decision to go LED. You go get em and never look back..All mine were hard wired. Even at sub zero temps, they came right on, everytime.

south GA where its hot in summer and cold in winter
    Post Thanks / Like

Been thinking about one or two of these. Makes more sense. 13k lumens per fixture. https://store.bigasssolutions.com/lights/shop-led.html
    Esab Migmaster 250
    Lincoln SA 200
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Smith Oxy Fuel setup
    Everlast PowerPlasma 80
    Everlast Power iMIG 160
    Everlast Power iMIG 205
    Everlast Power iMIG 140E
    Everlast PowerARC 300
    Everlast PowerARC 140ST
    Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    On those direct replacements you still need to get in there and wire past the ballast don't ya? .
    Nope, they run off the existing T-8 ballast
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice lights, but $400, I'll have to wait.
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

Post Thanks / Like

These look interesting,but the price!

www.bigasslight.com

Last edited by CamW; 05-09-2015 at 02:37 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I think fluorescent is better for interior shop lighting, led just isn't there yet, especially when you consider the cost and sometimes less light output.
    Last edited by MikeGyver; 05-22-2015 at 12:09 AM.
    Welding/Fab Pics: www.UtahWeld.com

Post Thanks / Like

Yesterday I installed LED lamps in office light over my head. Phillips has a new bulb that fits, and is driven from electronic ballast in T8 (1") fluorescent lights. These are 4000 Kelvin, with a color rendering index of 8, and slightly more lumens than the fluorescents they replace. I bought them for twenty dollars, Efficiency VT gives a commercial user rebate of $5.00 per tube. They are expected to last 50,000 hours with improved ballast life, (5 times that of fluorescent)

Oh, I almost forgot, they use 12 watts as opposed to the 32 watts the old bulbs used. They quoted a 1.3 year break even, but I don't know how many hours a day that factors.

I feel the cold reality is that rates will increase. Reducing consumption is a defensive measure to avoid bigger bills. Despite energy conservation measures, my bills are nearly 10 times as much as when I built this house 34 years ago.
    Last edited by Willie B; 05-22-2015 at 08:21 AM.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    , with a color rendering index of 8,
    I think you meant 82
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

Post Thanks / Like

I am starting to replace my 4' tubes with these,
    https://www.menards.com/main/electri...263-c-7482.htm

Seems to working very well and bright as all get out.

Post Thanks / Like

Why, I wonder, are they not Energy Star rated?

Post Thanks / Like

You can get a lot of lights for $400 We used a less bullet proof light of otherwise similar specifications with 12 foot ceilings. There was a big difference in foot candles under the light, as opposed to between them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    Yesterday I installed LED lamps in office light over my head. Phillips has a new bulb that fits, and is driven from electronic ballast in T8 (1") fluorescent lights. These are 4000 Kelvin, with a color rendering index of 8, and slightly more lumens than the fluorescents they replace. I bought them for twenty dollars, Efficiency VT gives a commercial user rebate of $5.00 per tube. They are expected to last 50,000 hours with improved ballast life, (5 times that of fluorescent)

Oh, I almost forgot, they use 12 watts as opposed to the 32 watts the old bulbs used.
    10,000 hour fluorescent bulbs...? I randomly sampled one on homedepot.com and it's 36,000 hours... $4 per bulb.

32w 2950 lumens (92.1 lumens per watt) a 12 watt led cannot put out more light that this, that would be 246lm/W, the generic highpower leds used in lighting fixtures are more like 70-110lm/W tops)
    Welding/Fab Pics: www.UtahWeld.com

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist