+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: LED shop lights

Post Thanks / Like

Re: LED shop lights

Quote Originally Posted by MikeGyver View Post
    10,000 hour fluorescent bulbs...? I randomly sampled one on homedepot.com and it's 36,000 hours... $4 per bulb.

32w 2950 lumens (92.1 lumens per watt) a 12 watt led cannot put out more light that this, that would be 246lm/W, the generic highpower leds used in lighting fixtures are more like 70-110lm/W tops)
    I urge you to continue to use fluorescents.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

https://www.1000bulbs.com just e-mailed me a sale listing. with coupon name "MAYTUBE" they are $9.99 each.

LED-T816W41K 1650 Lumens - LED - 4 ft. Tube - 16 Watt - 4100K Cool White - Use With Instant Start Ballast - LifeBulb LBT8F1641 $9.99ea

You can get these for straight wire or direct replacement.
    Craftsman 230/140 AC/DC Miller HF-251D-1
    Millermatic 130 Linclon 40 amp plasma cutter
    Hypertherm Max 20 O/A cutting and welding stuff
    5HP Ingersoll air compressor

Post Thanks / Like

Cree is already recalling their LED lamps. Cnet got it wrong and said "fixtures" in the headline but in reality it is the retrofit lamps that are recalled, no fixtures are involved.
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC 225/150
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

Post Thanks / Like

I've got low ceilings in my garage/workshop. I've got 5 fluorescent fixtures, each 4 tubes 8 feet long. This fall or early some summer morning, I'm going to remove them all and replace with recessed can lights; equipped with LED floodlights. I'll supplement this general area light with task lights; probably LEDs on movable tripods or similar. I have 6 waiting on the shelf, and I might buy 4-6 more after these are installed.

The fluorescent lights I have are old. They flicker and most refuse to light when it's below 45F. I've lost count of the number of times I've tapped and nearly broken a tube when moving long stock around in the shop.
    Benson's Mobile Welding - Dayton, OH metro area - AWS Certified Welding Inspector

Post Thanks / Like

Has any one tried one of these. My shop needs to have florescents replaced and this is what I am thinking of trying.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-150w-LED...item2ecb98723a
    Miller 180,Esab 300I TIG Lincoln Stick [1950's} Victor Torches, Dewalt chop saw, Enco 9x48 Mill, 48x60 home shop with Gantry crane and Pit.

Post Thanks / Like

Yhe term High Bay says to me this is a reflected high lumen fixture that will be very bright in a small spot unless you have a 20' ceiling height.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

I think I might change out my shop lights before long with these, any thoughts about or experience with these?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/25-30PCS-18W...-/291526872617
    Last edited by lstilts; 01-11-2016 at 10:31 PM.
    Mastering others is strength, mastering yourself is true power.

Post Thanks / Like

Just need to bypass the ballast.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Klutch 120v Plasma cutter
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a half dozen of these 4 foot LED shop lights from Lowe's when they were on sale before Christmas ($39.95). I'm very happy with them and will eventually by another 20 or so. The regular price is $49.95.

I've got fluorescent lights in my shop and in colder weather, it takes half an hour for them to come on. LEDs are the only way to go!

http://www.lowes.com/pd_595731-43921...K840_1z11owh__
    America Needs AMERICA'S Oil!!!

"Global warming is the greatest scam in history ...There is no run away climate change. The impact of humans on climate is not catastrophic. Our planet is not in peril."--John Coleman, Founder of The Weather Channel

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    I bought a half dozen of these 4 foot LED shop lights from Lowe's when they were on sale before Christmas ($39.95). I'm very happy with them and will eventually by another 20 or so. The regular price is $49.95.

I've got fluorescent lights in my shop and in colder weather, it takes half an hour for them to come on. LEDs are the only way to go!

You might want to check Costco, they are now down to $29 and they now have pull chain switches.
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    Just need to bypass the ballast.
    Yep, I prefer that over buying new fixtures & all, probably no more than 5-10 mins per fixture, I have already replaced the ones in my home, so far I am pleased. The led flood lights I have outside are instantly bright when I turn them on even when it's cold.
    Mastering others is strength, mastering yourself is true power.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lugweld View Post
    Been thinking about one or two of these. Makes more sense. 13k lumens per fixture. https://store.bigasssolutions.com/lights/shop-led.html
    For about the same price you could buy 32,000 lumens worth of the other lights and cover the whole damn ceiling with them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigb View Post
    You might want to check Costco, they are now down to $29 and they now have pull chain switches.
    I got 8 from Costco for the $29.99 with the pull chain. Great for the money and extremely lightweight. Have four in garage and they are so much brighter then the 4 tube old florescent I replaced. Had below zero outside and they lit up fine in uninsulated garage. The lights have a '' plug end '' on them. You can almost place one anywhere.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post

I just replaced one of my 4ft. fluorescent lights with one like this from HD...love it!! Comes on instantly in the cold, low power draw, just as bright as the fluorescent if not a bit brighter (seems that way).

Post Thanks / Like

LED lighting is still at the point where procrastination will get you everything..... lower price....better quality....better selection.
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

Post Thanks / Like

I like the T8 daylight bulbs. They start in the cold well. They are very white very bright. Next to a cool white fluorescent bulb, it makes the cool white bulb look like it is yellow.

They have LED replacement fluorescent style bulbs about $25.00 a piece. But you need the actual newer T8 ballast to start them. Not the combo T12-T8 ballast, that does not work.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    If I wasn't so.....crazy, I wouldn't try to act normal, and you would be afraid.

Post Thanks / Like

Been thinking of switching to led's in the shop. Anyone have problems with radio interference?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm kinda getting fed up with the claims of 30,000 hrs, 50,000 hrs, etc. lifetime on some CREE LED bulbs. So far in the shop, I have had to replace two 100W equiv. and one 60W equiv. bulb-style LEDs out of a total of six bulbs in less than 6 months...that's a 50% failure rate! I took one back to HD for a replacement, but they are sticklers on receipts. If I saved every receipt for stuff I buy, I could fill a bathtub. At least I'm gonna start saving the LED receipts from here on out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shortfuse View Post
    I'm kinda getting fed up with the claims of 30,000 hrs, 50,000 hrs, etc. lifetime on some CREE LED bulbs. So far in the shop, I have had to replace two 100W equiv. and one 60W equiv. bulb-style LEDs out of a total of six bulbs in less than 6 months...that's a 50% failure rate! I took one back to HD for a replacement, but they are sticklers on receipts. If I saved every receipt for stuff I buy, I could fill a bathtub. At least I'm gonna start saving the LED receipts from here on out.
    In 2003 we put a dozen "test" LED down lights in a medical facility in Fairfield, CA. I spoke to the facility engineer about 2 months ago and asked him how they held up. They have not replaced any to date. Of course they were not cheap back then. Now just about all commericial building projects are LEDs. In MN all state controlled public street and stop lights are all being replaced with LED when the bulbs fail. LEDs will continue to come down in price as more manufactures make them. The junk chinese ones are probably rampart by now.

Post Thanks / Like

... I took one back to HD for a replacement, but they are sticklers on receipts. If I saved every receipt for stuff I buy, I could fill a bathtub. ...
    get set up with email receipts from HD. A hard drive can hold a lot more than a bathtub.
    MillerMatic 252, HTP 221 w/cooler, Hypertherm PM45, Lincoln IdealArc 250 AC/DC, victor Oxy/Acet

"I'd like to believe as many true things and as few false things as possible"

Post Thanks / Like

That's why I haven't jumped onto the LED bandwagon yet. Basically, there are several factors here: quality LEDs WILL last between 30,000 and 100,000 hours, and that figure is generally based on a 50% loss of lumens (sometimes 80% to skew the numbers a bit in the manufacturer's favor). Unless they are overdriven, or just plain poorly made, LEDs will not normally fail catastrophically; they merely lose brightness over time. Now, I've seen cheap imported LEDs fail (completely) with only a few hours on them, but that's the exception rather than the norm. A much bigger problem is all of the other components that are used to drive the LEDs in 120-volt lighting applications; LEDs normally have a forward voltage drop of 2.1 to about 4 volts (depending primarily on color emitted) at 0.02 to 1+ amps each (depending on design of the semiconductor die and the ability of the heatsink, if any, to carry away heat. LEDs are current-driven devices). Meeting these power supply requirements means that these 120-volt lights have additional components, some of which are much more failure-prone than the LEDs themselves (e.g., cheap electrolytic capacitors). I'd expect the big names like Phillips to be better than no-name imports in this respect.

Post Thanks / Like

On the H depot site-reviews and numerous complaints of the Cree 100w failing rapidly, convinced me to switch to Phillips and other
    brands. Cheaper isn't always 'better'.
    Blackbird

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by frieed View Post
    get set up with email receipts from HD. A hard drive can hold a lot more than a bathtub.
    That's a good idea. I think I'll start doing that. All sorts of things nowadays are breaking, failing, otherwise becoming unusable...thank you China! No one usually saves receipts for small purchases like light bulbs, but I will henceforth on the LED's for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dave powelson View Post
    On the H depot site-reviews and numerous complaints of the Cree 100w failing rapidly, convinced me to switch to Phillips and other
    brands. Cheaper isn't always 'better'.
    I never saw any reviews since I bought mine in the store. I'll go check the reviews out and see what they have to say, thanks for the tip.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oldwino View Post
    Been thinking of switching to led's in the shop. Anyone have problems with radio interference?
    Yes I have it bad on fm. Just need to get some chokes for the input of my lights. That should cure that problem.
    Last edited by tinker001; 01-23-2016 at 04:58 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist