+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cobra torch vs standers set?

Post Thanks / Like

Cobra torch vs standers set?

I'm sorry to bring up this subject again, but after reading all the posts, the reviews, the videos.. I think I'm more confused now than when I started.

First, I have an old set of standard oxy/acy torches. They're giving me a lot of grief these days as they won't seal (dented housing) and damaged tips. So I need to repair or replace them. I own a small set of tanks, not sure on the size but big enough to work for many hours/small enough to be portable.

My research led me to believe that if I were to replace my set with a Cobra / Henrob /Dillon set, I would be in a better position to do all kinds of work. But being on a serious budget, I looked some more. I found that many users feel that the standard torches with the right tips will do anything the Cobra will. To be honest, I have one tip with my current set and have no clue what else I 'should' have.

I've recently added a MIG to my tool set (sp125 +). I got it for a good price (traded my plunge router that I never use for it). It has the regs and all. I assumed for the project I am contemplating (auto body and trailer repair) that this tool would be ideal.
    I don't have 220V in my garage and it's much to small to do big work in (18 x 24). This is just for hobby and hanging out with my son.

Long story shortened: Do I spend $700 on a Cobra torch now OR do I get more info on repairing/replacing my standard set? Knowing I'm cheap, a newb and have limited goals and space, what would you advise?

Thanks in advance for reading this!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cobra torch vs standers set?

the cobra torch is a nice toy to have but really cant be justified for casual use. its kinda like a golfer wanting a better driver .go to hf or ebay and save a bunch. good regulators are a better investment.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks boatbuoy.

I don't know what hf is, but I did find one localy for $250 (not a master kit). I'm picking up some new tips tomorrow for my O/A set. Still considering it at $250, but after more research, thinking my O/A set may be just the right thing for me, with the MIG as a backup for quicker/bigger jobs. As far as regulators, still researching them. I have a set of Smith's.. are they any good?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boatbuoy View Post
    the cobra torch is a nice toy to have but really cant be justified for casual use. its kinda like a golfer wanting a better driver .go to hf or ebay and save a bunch. good regulators are a better investment.
    i used to play a lot of golf and was pretty good..
    the guys who spent $500 every year on a driver were the guys with chitty swings..the club has nothing to do with it..
    the cobra's only advantage i can see is it is small and willget in some tighter spots..not worth the money unless thats what you need to do..get a smith torch, and a few tips..
    Last edited by weldbead; 03-02-2011 at 04:34 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Do yourself a favour and save your money. The best job that Cobra, Dillon, Henrob, DHC or whatever it is being called at the moment does , has been marketing this club of a torch. It will not do anything you can't do with any O/A torch. Check out Smith AW1 or AW1A(newer) or Meco Midget or any other light duty torch. You can get geared up on Ebay for under $100 to start.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey!!

I really appreciate the candid responses!! Sounds like my research concurs with the general feeling on this post. Nice torch if you got it, but not one to break my budget on.

I'm picking up a 2nd hand torch today. I have the choice between Boc, Purox and Harris. Some are like new.

I currently have a Smith that leaks like a bugger, the regs are Smith too.

What should I be looking for when I choose between the above torches? and should I be upgrading the regs?

Thanks again for all the advice!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

if your regulators work fine for what you are doing,no need to replace. some of the cheaper ones cant maintain a steady flame at low pressures.

Post Thanks / Like

torch is available on ebay this morning---search for henrob---2 hrs left,currently at less than 200.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the tip.

I bid, but the price has gone up more than I think it's worth (2 me). What makes it worse is the shipping..$45!

The shipping takes away to much of my buying $$ and I can't compete.

Oh well.. will keep watching for something closer to home.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist