Thread: Noob from Australia

Post Thanks / Like

Noob from Australia

Hey everyone,
    I'm an amature welder from Canberra, Australia.
    I'm in the process of teaching myself to weld. I'm trying to do it semi seriously, so I can pull off some adequate welds on projects around the house, but time and cost means I can't really manage to take any formal classes (I'm already working full time, and studing at uni part time)

At the moment, I'm focusing on stick welding, mainly because I have a stick welder. Its a crappy buzz box, but it lets me lay welds down. At some point I hope to upgrade to a little DC inverter with some TIG ability.

I've been lurking on welding web for quite some time, flicking thru the endless pages of past threads, trying to learn from all you Pros. I envy your knowledge and skills so much. If I can become a 1/4 of the welder you guys are, I'd be impressed.

I'm not overly sure how you guys like the new guys posting all the How am I doing threads, but when I get organised, I was hoping to post some of my practice welds for some experienced opinions.

anyway, Hi everyone, I'll try not to be a PIA, but I would love to draw from the collective experience to better my welding,

Cheers,
    Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Noob from Australia

Welcome aboard stiffman, from our western island! It's a great resource here and maybe the fastest path to follow would be to post pics of your work and any areas you may be having problems with.

Ask for and be prepared to accept constructive criticism on your welds. Most people here will be very helpful.
    "One of the things we have to be thankful for is that we don't get as much government as we pay for." (Charles Kettering)
    Mitch 180 (NZ)
    Lincoln SAM-400-220 + ?-400 Fordson Major + 2 x Tractapac Humber 80 + Procut 40 Plasma
    Miller Spectrum 375

Post Thanks / Like

Cheers Tractapac.
    I'm going to be brave here and post up a couple of my welds here. I'm open to constructive criticism, afterall thats why i'm here.

The welding rods I'm using here are 2mm e6012, welding 3mm steel strip.
    with my fairly ordinary buzz box the smaller welding rods are handy at practice time, as I can do more welding without it cutting out.
    Amp settings are hard to tell, its on the upper range of the "2mm" zone on the welder, at a guess maybe 60 - 65 amps.

While I was doing these welds, I was trying to work on my consistency, speed and watching the weld pool. I had just turned the darkness down from max on my auto helmet, and for a change I could actually SEE the weld pool, which is awesome!

I can see my start is pretty poor on these ones, and i'm trying to pay more attention to the start and finishes. My guess is I'm moving on before I get enough heat into it, and the weld pool isn't building up enough.
    And the finishes are pretty bad too. I need to focus on filling those craters before I stop the arc.

The penetration shots in the photos I've posted shos some other welds I've done on the same pieces, feel free to comment on those too. I can't remember what the settings on those were though.

I want to try welding some thicker steel too, but my supply is very limited, just a small collection of bits and pieces that my dad gave me when he gave me a welder a few years back. The steel in these photos is a length of 25mm bar that I actually bought. It could get expensive buying steel like that for practice, especially if i want to use some thicker stuff. I'm thinking i'll need to find some scrap somewhere!
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Post Thanks / Like

Hello stiffman,

Looks like great welds to me, If you have more pics keep them coming.

Best,

DP
    LONGEVITY
    Phone: 877-566-4462

Post Thanks / Like

Cheers dude. I've been a bit strapped for time lately with a honeymoon and all, so haven't had much time to play / practice. when i get a chance I'll put up some more photos. I've already learnt a lot from the members of the forum just by reading, and I'm hoping to learn even more by showing!

Cheers,
    Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Hi stiffen

Sorry, I'd meant to get back to this before now. It looks like you're on the way to good welds. The beads in your first pic are looking quite good and the latter part of the bead in the third picture.Well, most of that bead apart from a bit where you might have got a bit jerky speed-wise.

When you start a bead from the edge, that's where you have the chance to build a foundation for the bead. It's where the metal is still cool and you get the to opportunity get a good start. Also don't be afraid to use two hands to keep things steady and then in time, you may develop the strength or co-ordination to use just one. Some people never do and I must admit I still tend to use two hands to keep things steady. Sometimes after a long period between welding projects I have to sit back a little and think back to the basics. Also I'm shortsighted and now have gradual lenses but I find it best to put the glasses somewhere out of range of spatter and weld without them. (they're only another layer of glass/plastic to look through and when each level gets a bit dusty or spattered or smoked up, then it gets real hard to watch what's happening with the slag the and molten pool.

It's a bit like getting to the Olympics practice, practice, practice!
    "One of the things we have to be thankful for is that we don't get as much government as we pay for." (Charles Kettering)
    Mitch 180 (NZ)
    Lincoln SAM-400-220 + ?-400 Fordson Major + 2 x Tractapac Humber 80 + Procut 40 Plasma
    Miller Spectrum 375

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a practicing whenever I get the chance, which hasn't been very often lately, as i've already mentioned.

One thing that I found is by sitting down on a stool, or in my case, a couple of milk crates, I can make myself a whole lot steadier, as my body swaying was causing me half my issues.

I'm getting confident enough to have a go at my first "real" project, and its not going to be a cart for my welder. apart from a vice stand from a steel car rim & some pipe, I'm thinking I'm going to make some shelves for my computer desk. that place seems to get so cluttered!

cheers,
    Matt