+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Best way to weld a 1/2" pipe on top of a 1" pipe?

Post Thanks / Like

Best way to weld a 1/2" pipe on top of a 1" pipe?

Hi,

I want to build a grape vine arbor from metal pipes. I have no experience welding, I took the welding class at the local community college and my experience is just what I got from the practice at the class. I have an Hobart Handler and I'm going to use flux core wire.

So, back to the question, I need to weld 2x 1/2 pipes on top of 1" pipe (the corner of the arbor), something like this:

Name:  Clipboard01.jpg
Views: 736
Size:  32.9 KB

How do I cut the pipes to be able to weld them together easy?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best way to weld a 1/2" pipe on top of a 1" pipe?

I would cut the 1/2“ pipe ends at a 45-degree. Then saddle the 1“ pipe with a hole saw the same size as the outside of the 1/2“ pipe. Then I would see about filling in the gaps on the sides. Or beat the sides in a little to fill with weld.
    Don’t pay any attention to me
    I’m just a hobbyist!

Carl

Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400

Post Thanks / Like

Hello ioan, along the lines of what CEP is suggesting here's a sketch of an approach that you could consider as well. Best regards, Allan
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    aevald

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ioan View Post
    Hi,

I want to build a grape vine arbor from metal pipes. I have no experience welding, I took the welding class at the local community college and my experience is just what I got from the practice at the class. I have an Hobart Handler and I'm going to use flux core wire.

So, back to the question, I need to weld 2x 1/2 pipes on top of 1" pipe (the corner of the arbor), something like this:

Name:  Clipboard01.jpg
Views: 736
Size:  32.9 KB

How do I cut the pipes to be able to weld them together easy?

Thanks!
    for a guy with little welding experience i would forget about beveling,notching or coping anything. take a piece of 1/4" flat stock and place it on top of the vertical pipe with the smaller pipes resting on top and weld the whole shebang together starting with the larger pipe to the plate.
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for the advice.

While looking for the best price for pipes, I ended up buying square tubing from the local scrap metal place which made my job easier. Part of the structure is done:

Post Thanks / Like

why dont you weld it on the ground then just stand it up, much safer than tippy toes on that ladder....and drill a drain hole for water at the bottom of each piece going vertical...and undercoat all the ends that you put in the ground to protect from rusting out....

Post Thanks / Like

X2 that looks pretty sketchy
    Vantage 300 kubota ,miller 304 xmt ,lincoln ln 25 pro , ranger 305 G, plenty of other tools of the trade to make the sparks fly.

Post Thanks / Like

Square tube is definitely easier for a beginner.
    Now, we would like to have you around for a while with no injuries. Standing on top of a ladder is a no no.
    Welding on the ground is safer for a beginner. If you don't have funds for a table ,stands, saw horses, use the tires ,stack patio stones on top of each other, and use ladder rungs for supports to rest the pieces on. Use squares and not a level. It is much easier to build on ground. Even a old fold up ironing board will work or a cheap table saw will be handy to work off of.
    Since you are beginning SAFETY is where you should start. A pair of work boots will pay for themselves before you burn holes in your socks. A connected garden hose would help putting out some burning grass. I'm only pointing out some suggestions. After doing this for a few years safety is burned into my head and only passing it on. Play safe and have fun.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I know it looks dangerous, but my wife was always next to me holding the ladder (except for that moment to take the picture). The bottom part of the column that's in cement is coated against rust:

http://i.imgur.com/qG68T57h.jpg

... for water, I'm going to weld a cap on top of each column, should that be enough?

Post Thanks / Like

'' but my wife was always next to me holding the ladder''

So, you are on top wife below ,sounds good to me. However SHE could be getting showered with sparks. That's a heck of a wife you have.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
    However SHE could be getting showered with sparks
    She did, but she had my canvas jacket on.

Well, the hard part of the project is done. Thank you everyone for the advice. Today I (partially) did the way you guys recommended, to weld the frame on the ground and then put it up, it was A LOT easier!

I'm only going to post picture of my last weld because I'm not really proud how the other ones turned out. Here is the last weld:

My wife and daughter inspecting my work:

Now I only have to weld some nuts on the columns so I can lay the wires where the grapes vines are going to grow.

Again, thanks for the help and advice.

Post Thanks / Like

Now that's a much better picture. A TALLER ladder, really safer. Best idea to leave the tough stuff to wife and daughter.

Weld looks decent , practice on bench where you are stable and you can flip material around for a better position. Get the wife interested too. This way you can buy her welding goodies for gifts ! Play safe !

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist