Thread: welding rusty exhaust pipe on the car

Post Thanks / Like

welding rusty exhaust pipe on the car

i was working on a family friends car, and the exhaust was cracked clean off after the y pipe. the exhaust system is old and rusty, and has been willy'd back together a handful of times before i got my hands on it. with the pipe being still there i cleaned it up as best i could and re welded the exhaust about 90% around. now i literally could not reach the top. it was only an inch or two from the floor pan and there is no way to even see what i was doing. anyone try mirrors? what do you guys do in a situation like this? what would a muffler shop do? i would imagine this car was taken to a muffler shop and i can say i could pick my nose and lay my boogers on a joint better then some of these welds LOL.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: welding rusty exhaust pipe on the car

You'd be best to replace the pipe. Any exhaust pipe that is old and thin enough to crack will only offer a short lived repair.
    Slob

Purveyor of intimate unparalleled knowledge of nothing about everything.

Oh yeah, also an unabashed internet "Troll" too.....

Post Thanks / Like

not really worth replacing the pipe on a car worth $1000. the pipe from the dealer? forget it. fab up my own, waste a bunch of time, and after breaking bolts off, drilling studs out? forget that too. the repair will last the rest of the life of the vehicle. was more interested in how to weld all the way around, rusty or not.

Post Thanks / Like

Normally you can tack the exhaust and then drop the hangers until you have enough room to get the top side. Being at the Y you'll need to tack it and then drop the Y until you can get it. I'd try a mirror before I went to that trouble. Like Slob said... the repair will likely be short lived.

My son came home the other day and the car sounded horrible. It cracked at the second muffler, right at the hanger, likely what prevented it falling off. I welded it knowing full well it may not last... but he's leaving for collage soon. If it breaks again... I'll order the parts and replace the whole thing.

Isn't the correct way to "fix" this problem to wrap it with an old tin can and hose clamps? I did that once on the side of the road and the repair held for a couple years.

Post Thanks / Like

Hose clamps... hell no twitch some fencing wire around it!

Post Thanks / Like

When I do a butchered up muffler/tailpipe repair I just continue the weld by sound and feel (use the force Luke).

Hell, it's only 1/2" or so of blind welding from each direction, and it's not a roll cage.

Funny how none of my "blind" welds end up with me taking pics of the welds and posting them
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by forhire View Post

Isn't the correct way to "fix" this problem to wrap it with an old tin can and hose clamps? I did that once on the side of the road and the repair held for a couple years.
    An, the very definition of a "temporary" repair
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry guy's and to the original poster; I'm not accustomed to making 1/2 azzed repairs of any type. Simply don't need that type of work, nor the reputation that follows inviting more of the same.
    Slob

Purveyor of intimate unparalleled knowledge of nothing about everything.

Oh yeah, also an unabashed internet "Troll" too.....

Post Thanks / Like

Thank the Lord for hose clamps and coat hangers!

Post Thanks / Like

Leaks=carbon monoxide =take your chances
    (big gobs RTV (red high temp) tin can and clamps to finish up temp repair)
    Last edited by rick9345; 05-22-2015 at 09:25 AM.
    Everlast 250EX
    Miller 250 Syncrowave
    Sharp LMV Vertical Mill
    Takisawa TSL-800-D Lathe
    Grob 18 in Bandsaw
    Greenlee cut off saw
    Sanford surface grinder
    Deckel style Tool cutter grinder
    and 40+ yrs of etc,etc

Post Thanks / Like

Cut out a little "window" from the bottom, weld up the top part through the inside, then weld the window back on....like so.....

Ta-Da!

Man, those were some rough welds of mine from 3 years ago. Back from my Eastwood TIG200 days.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

Post Thanks / Like

thats a good" thinking out of the box" idea...but on real rusty exhaust pipe that could be a big challenge......
    Of all the things I lost I miss my mind the most...
    I know just enough about everything to be dangerous......
    You cant cure stupid..only kill it...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    Cut out a little "window" from the bottom, weld up the top part through the inside, then weld the window back on....like so.....
    Ta-Da!

Man, those were some rough welds of mine from 3 years ago. Back from my Eastwood TIG200 days.
    Cheater

I like it
    Dave J.

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc

Post Thanks / Like

worked as a muffler man before, I assume your using oxy acet ? if so slide a piece of sheet metal between the floor and your weld bend the filler rod so it will reach on top of the tube just glob it up and then melt a hole on the bottom of the pipe and stick the lit torch in the hole
    and watch for fire on the top where you just welded if you see fire coming through you still have a hole..glob it up till there is no fire coming out the top weld
    its not space science its just an exhaust pipe

Miller Dynasty 350
    Twenty Six Hammers

Three Crow Bars

Big Rock

Post Thanks / Like

wow the window idea is kick ***. thanks. i would drop the hangers if it was just a muffler but it was the y pipe. i dont like doing half as repairs either. i do what im paid to do, or in this case not even paid.... lol

Post Thanks / Like

I like the window idea....I was wondering what kind of car it is. If it is a cheap car, cut the window in the floorboard.
    SA-250 TMD
    Squarewave 200
    Thunderbolt AC/DC
    1951 G.E. welder

Post Thanks / Like

That window trick isn't going to work so well on a pipe that is real rusty, it will be too thin.

Post Thanks / Like

A complete window doesn't need to be cut out, just three cuts and bend the piece back on the 4th side so you only have three sides to weld up.

I use mirrors quite often for this stuff and like mentioned sometimes just go by feel and sound. But most always like mentioned, tack it up, and drop it off the hangers till you can see.

Also like mentioned if it is rusty and thin it will just break again in short time right next to the weld.
    12v battery, jumper cables, and a 6013.
    I only have a facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/pages/VPT/244788508917829

Post Thanks / Like

welding rusty exhaust pipe on the car

My old Toyota pickup burned through two Y pipes in the 158,000 I owned it. Each time I took it to the local muffler shop and they unbolted it from the manifold and catalytic converter and replaced it. By the time that sheet metal burns through, there really is no salvaging it IMHO. I don't recall what it costs to fix but it was reasonable. Your neighbors might at least get a quote from someone. They might even be able to find this pipe at a wreck-out somewhere and save some money.

Just some thoughts.

Post Thanks / Like

the repair is done, i was able to seal the top blind, i wasnt even asked to repair the exhaust. instead i was fixing the cooling system. i just did the exhaust because i noticed it was broken. they would just drive with it broken and not care lol.