Thread: What Is In Your High Pressure Argon Cylinders?

Post Thanks / Like

What Is In Your High Pressure Argon Cylinders?

I was changing all the tanks on the machines a few minutes ago. And my father said he heard something like a chain hanging in the new tank. Sure enough there is something that sounds like a rather long chain hanging inside the tank. You have to wonder though if they could leave that in a tank, what else could they leave in there? Is there even argon in there.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    If I wasn't so.....crazy, I wouldn't try to act normal, and you would be afraid.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What Is In Your High Pressure Argon Cylinders?

I have something in one of my scuba tanks. It was there even after it's last visual.
    "Where's Stick man????????" - 7A749
    "SHHHHHH!! I sent him over to snag that MIC-4 while tbone wasn't looking!" - duaneb55
    "I have bought a few of Tbone's things unlike Stick-Man who helps himself" - TozziWelding
    "Stick-man"

Post Thanks / Like

The label says it all....Airgas.

Post Thanks / Like

It's so you don't lose it.

Post Thanks / Like

That's wild. You have to wonder what it could be.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stick-man View Post
    I have something in one of my scuba tanks. It was there even after it's last visual.
    Almost guarantee it's the dip tube. I've seen plenty of them come loose over the years if they aren't screwed in well. That's a left over from way back when in the beginning of Scuba. The old compressors used to fill the cylinder with oil/water, just like a compressor tank does today. ( yuck!) The tube prevented that from getting into your reg if you went inverted head down during the dive. I know a lot of tech divers who simply unscrew them and don't bother with them today, though I have seen some pretty scuzzy cylinders inside when they come back from some disreputable dive shops, so the problem can still exist today.

William, I'm betting you may have the same issue. Some cylinder valves have long tubes for bottom draw. This makes a lot of sense with "gasses" like CO2 that can be either liquid or gaseous, but less with "inert" gases. I've heard a number of theory's why they use long dip tubes in cylinders that are 100% gas. One is that they help promote better mixing of gas like trimix. The idea being the gas is introduced lower in the cylinder, thus it is forced to "swirl" around to fill the cylinder. My understanding of how gasses behave makes me think most of that is BS, but I have seen CGA 580 inert gas valves both with and without the dip tubes.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ZTFab View Post
    Yea they got big fast.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    If I wasn't so.....crazy, I wouldn't try to act normal, and you would be afraid.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stick-man View Post
    As DSW said, that is most likely the dip tube. My primary job is doing maintenance on diving equipment to include performing VIP of cylinders. If the tank was making that noise both before and after you sent it in for a visual inspection I would use a different shop. There is no reason they should have missed that.
    The next time the tank is empty take the valve off and flip the tank upside down. The tube should come right out.
    If you have a mallet you can use that to tap the valve off. Just give the valve a tap or two to seat the o-ring when you put the valve back on.
    there is a torque spec for how tight the valveshould be. You should be able to find that online
    Last edited by psacustomcreations; 06-07-2015 at 09:59 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

It's a dip tube. Just leave the cylinder alone and exchange it for another one. Tag the cylinder or write a note on the side of it with chalk, not something permanent. It will probably be removed the next time the tank needs to be tested.

Post Thanks / Like

As long as the weld looks good I don't give a Crap whats in there.....

Miller Dynasty 350
    Twenty Six Hammers

Three Crow Bars

Big Rock

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DSW View Post
    Almost guarantee it's the dip tube. I've seen plenty of them come loose over the years if they aren't screwed in well. That's a left over from way back when in the beginning of Scuba. The old compressors used to fill the cylinder with oil/water, just like a compressor tank does today. ( yuck!) The tube prevented that from getting into your reg if you went inverted head down during the dive. I know a lot of tech divers who simply unscrew them and don't bother with them today, though I have seen some pretty scuzzy cylinders inside when they come back from some disreputable dive shops, so the problem can still exist today.

William, I'm betting you may have the same issue. Some cylinder valves have long tubes for bottom draw. This makes a lot of sense with "gasses" like CO2 that can be either liquid or gaseous, but less with "inert" gases. I've heard a number of theory's why they use long dip tubes in cylinders that are 100% gas. One is that they help promote better mixing of gas like trimix. The idea being the gas is introduced lower in the cylinder, thus it is forced to "swirl" around to fill the cylinder. My understanding of how gasses behave makes me think most of that is BS, but I have seen CGA 580 inert gas valves both with and without the dip tubes.
    Yea, it probably fell to the bottom of the tank. I could see it being used to keep lighter contaminate gases from getting into the regulator.

Sincerely,

William McCormick

Post Thanks / Like

Years ago when it mattered we only used tanks down to 300 psi.

Sincerely,

William McCormick

Post Thanks / Like

It's a loose dip tube.....just banging the side of the cylinder.
    The only other problem would be the fat lumpy argon from Airgas

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vwguy3 View Post
    It's a loose dip tube.....just banging the side of the cylinder.
    The only other problem would be the fat lumpy argon from Airgas

Yes I have to agree.

Sincerely,

William McCormick

Post Thanks / Like

good one ZT!

hahaha
    Victor
    Praxair
    Air Liquide
    Miller
    Lincoln Electric

Post Thanks / Like

Why would argon have a dip tube? A dip tube is for drawing liquid out of Co2 cylinders. Argon is in the gas form in the cylinder.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ZTFab View Post
    Beat me to it..
    Buy American, or don't whine when you end up on the bread line.

Post Thanks / Like

My now dead neighbor had a FBI agent living in her water heater. Maybe you got Marley's Ghost in your tank.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Welder Dave View Post
    Why would argon have a dip tube? A dip tube is for drawing liquid out of Co2 cylinders. Argon is in the gas form in the cylinder.
    It's correct name is an eductor tube. It's purpose is to mix the CO2 into the argon when filled.