+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: New Horseshoe art Sticky

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Horseshoe art Sticky

Name:  FullSizeRenderMA31833660-0001.jpg
Views: 3294
Size:  31.4 KB
    Heres a lil owl from shovel and some horseshoes w other odds and ends. Making this and other stuff for a craft show coming up in Newtown CT.

Post Thanks / Like

Vino holder finished in hammered-forged bronze.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "Discovery is to see what everybody else has seen, and to think what nobody else has thought" - Albert Szent-Gyorgyi

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ManoKai View Post
    Vino holder finished in hammered-forged bronze.
    Nice, that should be a good start for one evening of drinking .

First time I saw a cover on a welding table. Classy shop setup !

Post Thanks / Like

@ BD1 - Mahalo bro. The welding table doubles as a counter top. Ha! Image is from my client's kitchen.
    "Discovery is to see what everybody else has seen, and to think what nobody else has thought" - Albert Szent-Gyorgyi

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ManoKai View Post
    @ BD1 - Mahalo bro. The welding table doubles as a counter top. Ha! Image is from my client's kitchen.
    I knew that, just being a smart a$$ !

Post Thanks / Like

Coat rack Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1437937245401.jpg
Views: 3449
Size:  62.2 KB

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
    handler 187
    hobart air-force 625
    one old azz lincon cracker box

Post Thanks / Like

I came across this older thread on horse shoe stuff and thought I'd add the link to this one as combining threads seems to toss things all out of order...

http://weldingweb.com/vbb/showthread.php...one&highlight=

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

Great talent..thanks for posting your work!

Post Thanks / Like

Where can a city slicker like myself go to buy some horseshoes?
    www.FirehouseFabricators.com

Zach

Millermatic 255
    Lincoln SW200
    Hypertherm Powermax 45xp
    2x4 CNC Plasma Table.

Post Thanks / Like

Tractor Supply sells them. Also there are a number of online farrier suppliers that sell shoes.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

There are some neat pieces in this thread. I made these a few months ago:

I subsequently painted the owl:

-Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBravest View Post
    Where can a city slicker like myself go to buy some horseshoes?
    As DSW stated, Tractor Supply. They have had shipping specials too. The three sizes I use for the wine / booze bottle holder are , 000 , 00 , and the 1. The 000 is the smallest one.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pro...4?cm_vc=-10005

Centaur Forge is another place for a '' REAL ASSORTMENT '' of horseshoes. I went there and it is amazing ! I didn't realize how many types and styles there are. They even have a special for first time buyers with 10% off. You can request a catalog which shows the shoes. They have flat rate hipping too, $8.95.
    Just saw they have some shoes on sale, http://www.centaurforge.com/Customer...oducts/366/1/0

Main site, http://www.centaurforge.com/?gclid=C...FQENaQodD18LoA

Post Thanks / Like

Started making Christmas presents. These candle holders are for friends who own and ride horses.

I first forged a shoe into a circle, then cut another shoe in half on which I drew out the longest end without holes about another inch or two and put a curly-cue on it. Then I forged the straight piece into a handle, cut a notch in the circle and tack welded it. For the bottom, I cut some circles out of 22ga. sheet metal so as to not cover up the shoe holes and tacked it to the circle. I will add a thin piece of felt to the bottom to keep from scratching the furniture. I think they'll like them.

Name:  Horseshoe candle holders 01.jpg
Views: 2795
Size:  71.6 KBName:  Horseshoe candle holders 02.jpg
Views: 2792
Size:  71.3 KBName:  Horseshoe candle holders 05.jpg
Views: 2797
Size:  58.9 KB

Post Thanks / Like

I was actually looking at those elsewhere tonight. I'm thinking about doing a few of those for my next demo to have out for sale on the table. Did you see the youtube video of Gary Huston forging those? I like your handles better, but his pressed cups and candle holders are nice.

Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DSW View Post
    I was actually looking at those elsewhere tonight. I'm thinking about doing a few of those for my next demo to have out for sale on the table. Did you see the youtube video of Gary Huston forging those? I like your handles better, but his pressed cups and candle holders are nice.
    Funny you should mention it....I got the idea from Gary's video. He does some neat stuff. I really liked his cups, but I didn't have a way to press the depression in the scrap, so I winged it with a flat base. There isn't a tight seal around the sheet metal/horseshoe contact in case melted wax tried to leak through, so I squeezed a small, tight bead of silicone along the underside edge of the sheet metal base. Silicone is good to a little over 400 deg. and will give a little so I'm good there.

I made those from used horseshoes. Due to wear, the shoes of course have a curved side where they meet the ground. So, when I ground/cut out my notch to tack weld the handle to the circle, I had to custom cut out each set so the handle cross section would fit snugly against the circle.

Another item I added was to make the curly-cue end of the handle touch the table as well as the base. A short handle might make the thing tipsy with a light weight candle. This is more stable.
    Last edited by shortfuse; 08-22-2015 at 10:23 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I probably showed this before, but, heck.
    Bad copy of picture, but I gave the piece to my niece.
    City of L.A. Structural; Manual & Semi-Automatic;
    "Surely there is a mine for silver, and a place where gold is refined. Iron is taken from the earth, and copper is smelted from ore."
    Job 28:1,2

Lincoln, Miller, Victor & ISV Bible

Danny

Post Thanks / Like

I like how your handle curves with the underside of the shoe to the inside where his is to the side. That means the holder looks a bit ugly from one side. I have an idea for doing the cups, but I have to see what size the shoes I have finish out to when I forge them in a circle. After that I can work out the cup details. There's a trick my blacksmithing instructor talked about for doing repetitive dishes that I want to try if I can get the jig material together.

Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

Gary had it easy with his big press and dies. I would have had to use a piece of pipe and some doughnut-shaped apparatus to pound out mine....probably would have come out looking like "Fido's B*tt" as Jody says.

Post Thanks / Like

Doug, just a hint if you make the handles like mine. They are simply an S-curve with a curly-cue. I went through about 3-4 of those buggers before I figured out the easiest and nicest looking handle. After I cut the straightened shoe in half, I drew out what had been the open end of the half-shoe to make a narrow flat taper. That added about 1" to 1 1/2" to the length to have enough for a small curly-cue. When I made the S-curve, I did the curly-cue first, then when making the bends for the S-curve, I dipped the curly in water after each heat to cool it and then could hammer on that end as I made curve.

Post Thanks / Like

The horse shoe bottle openers I forged.

Name:  DSCN5049a.JPG
Views: 2679
Size:  33.3 KB

Name:  DSCN5050a.JPG
Views: 2674
Size:  31.0 KB

Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

Nice looking horseshoe openers. I'm gonna have to make up some of those.

I never stopped to think there was enough stock on the end of the shoe, but with a little flattening and drawing out, there surely is. My beer-drinking, horse riding friends will love those!!

Post Thanks / Like

On a healed shoe there is enough stock to flatten the heal out and make the ring like I do normally. That is what I did on the one shown at the bottom. It was originally supposed to be one of the handles for the horse shoe candle holders, but the other end got messed up, so I made the opener with what was left of the shoe.

The one above, I slit the stock with a 1" chisel, upset the end to spread the slit, then drifted with my 1" punch. Because I slit and upset, I didn't loose any material to stretching when I drifted so I could do the opener in what was the middle of the shoe. I really need to make a 1" wide slot punch vs using my 1" chisel. The chisel is a single bevel and it leaves a lot of "rag" on the back that needs more work to finish out and doesn't look as nice if you aren't really careful. I'll probably make the slot punch match the width of the fullered groove in the shoes.

Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

Oh since I posted the horse shoe ones I did, I might as well add the "claw" style one I have picts of, but haven't had a chance to make yet.

Name:  il_570xN.680991217_rhi9.jpg
Views: 2678
Size:  105.9 KB

Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

Mr. Smith> Love that heart.
    --
    shortfuse> Those candle holders are going to be a big hit with the horsey folks. Very nice.
    --
    Here's another owl-
    --

Name:  img_0318.jpg
Views: 2831
Size:  115.7 KB

--
    I don't recall who I originally made the owl for but my husband snitched it and took it to work. It's on his desk. I guess he liked it.
    --
    BrooklynBravest> "Where can a city slicker like myself go to buy some horseshoes?" I'll second BD1's Centaur Forge. Their prices were comparable to Tractor Supply and Farm & Fleets' and it's going to be hard to beat their flat shipping rate.
    MM 211
    Smith Tru Lite O/A set, Thanks Bob!
    Lincoln AC-225
    --
    But you must not change one thing, one pebble, one grain of sand, until you know what good and evil will follow on that act. The world is in balance, in Equilibrium- Ursula K. Le Guin

Post Thanks / Like

Got Braces? Fabricated for a local Orthodontist. The "teeth" are aircraft-style wrapped in .035 SuperArc 70S-3. Base finished in hammer-forged bronze. The vertical tiers are raw and shot with clear lacquer. TIG welded.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist