+ Reply to Thread

Thread: eastwood tig 200 ac/dc uses a lot of argon!

Post Thanks / Like

eastwood tig 200 ac/dc uses a lot of argon!

hey guys,
    I am very new to welding in general and recently bought a tig 200 ac/dc from eastwood. I am having a great time welding but noticed I am going through quite a bit of argon and fast. I was wondering if that is abnormal or just goes with TIG?
    thanks for any suggestions or advice.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: eastwood tig 200 ac/dc uses a lot of argon!

What size bottle, what flow rate are you using? Then just divide flow rate in CFH by CF tank size. Example 60CF tank at 15CFH would give you 4 hours of actual welding time ( not machine on time) 60/15=4
    Tiger Sales: AHP Distributor www.tigersalesco.com
    AHP200x; AHP 160ST; MM350P, Spoolmatic 30A; Everlast PowerTig 185; Thermal Dynamics 60i plasma.
    For Sale: Cobra Mig 250 w/ Push-pull gun. Lincoln Wirematic 250

Post Thanks / Like

Ok... that sounds about right. I have a 55cf tank and flow between 12 and 21 cfh depending on what metal I want to deform at the time. thank you for the info, I am sure as I get better I will not waste as much gas... hopefully.

Post Thanks / Like

Ya man just get a 336. I pay 65$ for one. What's your post flow? I use enough post flow to barley keep the tungsten grey,I'll turn it down until it starts Turning gold. 130 amps I'm on about 6 sec.

Post Thanks / Like

x7razor, are you using a gas lens? I run one at work and I find that as long as there is no breeze then I can get down to 5 litres a minute or approx. 10 CFH that would save you a bit. I would never use anywhere near 21 CFH ( about 10 litres a minute). 8 litres a minute is the most I ever use. Scott.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Eastwood TIG 200. What these guys are saying right. Use the lowest flow of Argon you can get away with AND still keeps your electrode from turning dark. With a gas lens and #12 cup I generally run 10CFH with 6 second post flow. I have 80CF bottles that generally last me for about 5 weeks.
    HF 98233 Stick/Tig
    HF 95136 Plasma
    Eastwood TIG200
    Eastwood MIG250

Damn, I cut it twice already and it's still too short!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scar59 View Post
    x7razor, are you using a gas lens? I run one at work and I find that as long as there is no breeze then I can get down to 5 litres a minute or approx. 10 CFH that would save you a bit. I would never use anywhere near 21 CFH ( about 10 litres a minute). 8 litres a minute is the most I ever use. Scott.
    Well when you gota pull the tungsten out 3/4" to 1 " or more you gota crank it up to
    Past 30 somtimes. At big 12 cup needs about 24 cfh minumum. I use 10 cfh myself 90% of the time with 5 cup.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tigmaniac View Post
    I have the Eastwood TIG 200. What these guys are saying right. Use the lowest flow of Argon you can get away with AND still keeps your electrode from turning dark. With a gas lens and #12 cup I generally run 10CFH with 6 second post flow. I have 80CF bottles that generally last me for about 5 weeks.
    You should make another video showing you using the setup you stated!on AL

Post Thanks / Like

Do you get a surge when you hit the pedal?

You may want to look at minimizing the tubing between the bottle and the welder.

Cheap chinese welders usually have a long piece of relatively large diameter hose between the flow meter and welder. This can cause a surge and waste gas.
    Hobart 210 MVP
    HTP Invertig 221 + cooler
    Everlast SuperUltra 205

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by motolife313 View Post
    You should make another video showing you using the setup you stated!on AL
    X2! I want to see that! A 12 is a big honkin' cup. No way would I use 10cfh.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by motolife313 View Post
    Well when you gota pull the tungsten out 3/4" to 1 " or more you gota crank it up to
    Past 30 somtimes. At big 12 cup needs about 24 cfh minumum. I use 10 cfh myself 90% of the time with 5 cup.
    Not true. I've used a #12 with a short stick out with around 15ish CFH. That's one of the advantages of using a gas lens--- saves on gas! ( if one keeps the stick out reasonable)
    Last edited by Oscar; 06-29-2015 at 12:15 PM.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

Post Thanks / Like

Did it spark up on you or sizzle at all? What metal where you welding? Btw what kinda stuff do you weld? I've never seen your work. You need to show it somtime
    Last edited by motolife313; 06-29-2015 at 02:14 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Something I pointed out to many welders on the web site for my import welder is the use of a plastic line that is crimped with house clamps that leak. I took mine apart and used single use crimp on clamps and at the selenoid epoxied the connectors to the solenoid add they were not pipe thread then checked everything with soapy water but it was a known issue that I hope had been fixed as all Chicom mfgs used the same setup, that being said one should never have to service a new machine but the leak would only be appreciable if you left the valve on and walked away for a few days. With tig you will use more shielding gas, you can pull the label off the regulator and turn down the regulator pressure but it has been calibrated for flow, mark original setting. If may help you use less gas of you stop start alot.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist