Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 96

Thread: Are you always standing on the job?

  1. #26
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,405
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Are you always standing on the job?

    Quote Originally Posted by tigonridge View Post
    Yea I've read a lot of testimonies from people getting miraculous results with certain shoes,

    but then I try them and don't get anywhere near the same result.

    My feet would still hurt with the supposedly super comfortably work shoes that cost upwards of $80 per pair.
    If you think $80 shoes are on the high end, you need an education.



    I like Dr. Martens

    But there are lots of shoes and workboots out there that cost hundreds

    go to a real Orthopaedic person, those insoles and the shoes that they fit in will run close to a thousand.

    But they will work.



    I wore some flat deck shoes and flat skateboard type shoes for a while because that's what was fashionable and so that's what was available in stores.
    They were NFG for me and they got tossed in a hurry once I found good ones.

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    SoCal-LA
    Posts
    9,859
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Are you always standing on the job?

    Quote Originally Posted by 12345678910 View Post
    If you think $80 shoes are on the high end, you need an education.



    I like Dr. Martens

    But there are lots of shoes and workboots out there that cost hundreds

    go to a real Orthopaedic person, those insoles and the shoes that they fit in will run close to a thousand.

    But they will work.



    I wore some flat deck shoes and flat skateboard type shoes for a while because that's what was fashionable and so that's what was available in stores.
    They were NFG for me and they got tossed in a hurry once I found good ones.
    Nurses are on their feet all day. You see them wearing those thick soled leather shoes that cost them bucks, but wear like iron. A trip to the podiatrist may be in order.
    Last edited by shovelon; 06-30-2015 at 10:30 AM.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX4ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW200-2ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig2ea,MigMax1ea.

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Sebeka and Bemidji MN
    Posts
    14,831
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Are you always standing on the job?

    Quote Originally Posted by shovelon View Post
    Nurses are on their feet all day. You see them wearing those thick soled leather shoes that cost them bucks, but wear like iron.
    My son shares my foot problems and I told him to research what nurses wear and buy those (he doesn't need boots).

    He looked online and found ones highly rated by nurses, bought them and says they are much better than what he had.
    Dave J.

    Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

    Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    ...Shoulder of Orion...
    Posts
    3,509
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Are you always standing on the job?

    Address the root cause. Consult a podiatrist and acquire footwear that suits you. You should aspire to STAND and move as much as practical. Any desk/computer work I do is on a vertical/raised setup. Context, http://m.livescience.com/49518-sitti...eart-risk.html.
    "Discovery is to see what everybody else has seen, and to think what nobody else has thought" - Albert Szent-Gyorgyi

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    SoCal-LA
    Posts
    9,859
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Are you always standing on the job?

    Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaDave View Post
    My son shares my foot problems and I told him to research what nurses wear and buy those (he doesn't need boots).

    He looked online and found ones highly rated by nurses, bought them and says they are much better than what he had.
    My mom was a cosmetologist, and her best friend was a nurse. They were always shopping for those white nursing shoes. Support was the key.

    My brother in law is a podiatrist. A referral to a good orthopedics office that can custom fit the shoe may be paid by insurance.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX4ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW200-2ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig2ea,MigMax1ea.

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    MN/WI
    Posts
    434
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Are you always standing on the job?

    Standing still for long periods of time on concrete hurts everybody. Also, sitting is the new smoking. It's slowly killing me. We're learning that too much of any one thing will eventually cause problems. I would love a career that has variations in my day, but most of that kind of work would pay less than half what I make now. I accepted a job before finishing my bachelors degree. One semester left. That was 20 years ago. Not having that degree closed a lot of doors. Had interviews where the hiring manager needed to hire me for my experience, but the company policy required a degree. It didn't keep me from being employed because I work in the IT world and they are still hungry for people that have the ability and desire to do the work. And as stated in some previous posts, the desire to work is fading in the younger generations. The kids they hire these days are smart, but some quickly loose interest due to the boring and demanding work. I wish I had my degree. Will probably get it after I retire. Will have time then to sit in a classroom full of pompous academic types and tell them how their ideals will change when that diploma gets slapped into their hand and they are tossed out into the street to fend for themselves.
    Century buzzbox that I learned on 40+ years ago (was Dad's)
    Crappy Century 110volt mig 70 amp pigeon pooper.
    Lincoln Idealarc TIG-300

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    new york city
    Posts
    6,918
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Are you always standing on the job?

    on the floor in front of my welding bench i have a thick rubber mat. besides being easier on my aging back and hoofs it's probably protecting me from stray electrical shocks.
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    20
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Are you always standing on the job?

    I really enjoy learning math and science, but I also love building things with my hands and doing it well. Unfortunately, I'm not motivated enough to pursue both EE and welding. The mechanical engineer above gets to weld as part of his job because welding and ME go well together. I'll have to decide within the next few days which path I want to pursue, because if I wait too long all the fall semester classes will get too filled up, and I won't be able to register for any of them. I've been watching a ton of welding videos, reading Welding for Dummies, and reading thread after thread about people describing how much the like/dislike their careers in welding. It's overall been very motivating, and the more I look, the more I want to go into welding. This seriously has been a very tough decision.

  9. #34
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Port Orchard, WA.
    Posts
    10,270
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Are you always standing on the job?

    tigonridge my second welding job in the union. I was 17-years old. I had to climb a 65-feet tall tower. and cut it apart to lower it some. Standing all day on 2ď x 2ď angle iron, leaning back in a safety belt with my back to the ground. Had to do some cutting towards me. Got the sparks to fly over my left shoulder. Left a big red hot chunk of iron in the cut area. Banged it out with the torch. The metal hit me in the throat, rolled inside the collar of my shirt. Stopped at my belt. Being new to this type of work I made the mistake of sucking my belly in. Take a wild guess where the red hot chunk of iron stopped? Yeah thatís right. Try dancing around on a 2ď x 2ď angle iron 65-feet in the air! You know it took over 3-months for that burn to heal!
    Donít pay any attention to me
    Iím just a hobbyist!

    Carl

    Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400





  10. #35
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    20
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Are you always standing on the job?

    Quote Originally Posted by CEP View Post
    tigonridge my second welding job in the union. I was 17-years old. I had to climb a 65-feet tall tower. and cut it apart to lower it some. Standing all day on 2“ x 2“ angle iron, leaning back in a safety belt with my back to the ground. Had to do some cutting towards me. Got the sparks to fly over my left shoulder. Left a big red hot chunk of iron in the cut area. Banged it out with the torch. The metal hit me in the throat, rolled inside the collar of my shirt. Stopped at my belt. Being new to this type of work I made the mistake of sucking my belly in. Take a wild guess where the red hot chunk of iron stopped? Yeah that’s right. Try dancing around on a 2“ x 2“ angle iron 65-feet in the air! You know it took over 3-months for that burn to heal!
    Look on the bright side; you get tell this kind of stories to people at parties.

    But honestly, I'd bet you earned decent money in that job. I'm not even trying to land a lucrative $50k+ a year adventurous job like high-riser construction, or pipelining. I'll be satisfied working $15/hr fabricating stuff in a shop, until I get enough experience, before transitioning to underwater welding. Even then, I probably won't be trying to work those super lucrative, but very dangerous jobs. I just want to earn enough to become a landlord in 10-20 years, then retire to pursue hobbies before turning 55yo...unless I'm lucky enough to be one of those people who are 90yo and still super active, then I'll probably work much longer. Why am I even thinking this far ahead??

    TIG welding seems like a lot of fun. I'd probably really enjoy that challenge.

  11. #36
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    China
    Posts
    1,063
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Are you always standing on the job?

    Pay 80 bucks for boots, your feet will feel like 80 bucks.
    Miller Maxstar 200 SD
    Piperliner #10 Gold

  12. #37
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Port Orchard, WA.
    Posts
    10,270
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Are you always standing on the job?

    Quote Originally Posted by tigonridge View Post
    But honestly, I'd bet you earned decent money in that job.
    One of these days Iíll tell you the story of when I was 37-years old. Pad eye broke, 1 1/2ď x 30-feet long choker went right through the safety latch on the hook. Hit me in the back, drove me face first into the deck of the barge, and then into 30-feet of water with the rigging wrapped around me. Partner had to jump in and untangle me before I drown. Helicopter ride to the local trauma center. Several surgeries later. Now I live with 7-plates holding my forehead together. Missed 6-months work.
    So, do you think they pay us enough now?
    Donít pay any attention to me
    Iím just a hobbyist!

    Carl

    Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400





  13. #38
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Albany NY
    Posts
    721
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Are you always standing on the job?

    Quote Originally Posted by smilexelectric View Post
    Pay 80 bucks for boots, your feet will feel like 80 bucks.
    True that

    I'll add to the pile of guys who stand all day at work. Have you actually ever done any welding? You might hate it.

  14. #39
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    China
    Posts
    1,063
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Are you always standing on the job?

    Quote Originally Posted by Firemanmike69 View Post
    True that

    I'll add to the pile of guys who stand all day at work. Have you actually ever done any welding? You might hate it.
    Edited due to misread comments
    Last edited by smilexelectric; 06-30-2015 at 08:19 PM. Reason: Sorry Mike.
    Miller Maxstar 200 SD
    Piperliner #10 Gold

  15. #40
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Barre Town, VT
    Posts
    871
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Are you always standing on the job?

    Quote Originally Posted by smilexelectric View Post
    Ha I am a tube welder for National Boiler Services. Have I done welding, don't get pissy if you don't like my answer. Wanna see my check and compare it to yours, ill be glad to snap you a pic.
    I think he was asking the OP if he had ever welded.
    My "collection":

    Homemade Stick Welder
    Victor O/A Torch
    AC 225
    Ideal Arc 250

    HF 90 Amp Flux Core
    HF Mig 170
    Solar 2020 Plasma Cutter
    Power i-Mig 140E
    Harris O/A torch
    HF Dual Mig 131
    140ST
    Alpha Tig 200x

  16. #41
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    20
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Are you always standing on the job?

    Quote Originally Posted by Firemanmike69 View Post
    True that

    I'll add to the pile of guys who stand all day at work. Have you actually ever done any welding? You might hate it.
    I've soldered. Does that count? All kidding aside, I'm sure there's a possibility that I may end up hating being in awkward positions for long period that might screw up my body. Other than that, I don't see any possible reasons to hate it. Like I said, I'm not really interested in the more adventurous and dangerous welding jobs that could really land me in the hospital...or grave. Screw that!

  17. #42
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Port Orchard, WA.
    Posts
    10,270
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Are you always standing on the job?

    Quote Originally Posted by smilexelectric View Post
    Ha I am a tube welder for National Boiler Services. Have I done welding, don't get pissy if you don't like my answer. Wanna see my check and compare it to yours, ill be glad to snap you a pic.
    I took it as Mike was talking to the OP, about ever welding.
    Donít pay any attention to me
    Iím just a hobbyist!

    Carl

    Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400





  18. #43
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    China
    Posts
    1,063
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Are you always standing on the job?

    Quote Originally Posted by CEP View Post
    I took it as Mike was talking to the OP, about ever welding.
    Gotcha, my bad mike. I misread your comment brotha.
    Miller Maxstar 200 SD
    Piperliner #10 Gold

  19. #44
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Port Orchard, WA.
    Posts
    10,270
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Are you always standing on the job?

    Quote Originally Posted by smilexelectric View Post
    Gotcha, my bad mike. I misread your comment brotha.
    Yeah it happens. One of the problems with the type written word. Been there done that.
    Donít pay any attention to me
    Iím just a hobbyist!

    Carl

    Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400





  20. #45
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Mount Tabor VT
    Posts
    7,602
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Are you always standing on the job?

    I attended a college graduation, my son graduated. A very young woman was commencement speaker. I'm afraid I wasn't paying attention, she was senator, or governor of New York. Her message was; "luck favors the courageous".

    Reality is, a 32 year old woman is elected to high office in New York, she is privileged. She hasn't earned it, she hasn't had time to earn it. She is privileged! Mom, Dad, Or some other person of influence has given her the head start to succeed early in life.

    I'm surrounded by people successful in fields other than those they studied in college. To achieve success, we must get a boost from numerous people. Those people will choose to boost, or not to boost based on their perception of you. Your status as a college graduate will be important to those people.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

  21. #46
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    20
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Are you always standing on the job?

    Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    I attended a college graduation, my son graduated. A very young woman was commencement speaker. I'm afraid I wasn't paying attention, she was senator, or governor of New York. Her message was; "luck favors the courageous".

    Reality is, a 32 year old woman is elected to high office in New York, she is privileged. She hasn't earned it, she hasn't had time to earn it. She is privileged! Mom, Dad, Or some other person of influence has given her the head start to succeed early in life.

    I'm surrounded by people successful in fields other than those they studied in college. To achieve success, we must get a boost from numerous people. Those people will choose to boost, or not to boost based on their perception of you. Your status as a college graduate will be important to those people.
    Indeed. Personally, I'll choose sanity over sheer practicality. I'm not going to be another cog in this asylum we call society. I'm fully aware that who you network with can be far more important than your Master's degree from M.I.T. I'm not going to play that game. Now, if a coworker happens to have an uncle who owns X company and may be willing to hire me, that would be fine and dandy, but I'm not going to associate with him just because of this fact. If he happens to be a good friend, however, and I land an awesome job thanks to that friendship, I'd chalk that down to sheer fortune rather than me being an opportunist.

    EDIT: You can also thank feminism for that. "Equality" blows.
    Last edited by tigonridge; 06-30-2015 at 10:20 PM.

  22. #47
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Central Wa. state
    Posts
    4,778
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Are you always standing on the job?

    Quote Originally Posted by tigonridge View Post
    I've soldered. Does that count? All kidding aside, I'm sure there's a possibility that I may end up hating being in awkward positions for long period that might screw up my body. Other than that, I don't see any possible reasons to hate it. Like I said, I'm not really interested in the more adventurous and dangerous welding jobs that could really land me in the hospital...or grave. Screw that!
    Sorry, man. But a post like this leads you to assembly line/production line welding. I'm sure they will give you a cushy stool, though. I've been doing this for 35 years now, in all kinds of weather, all times of day, in muddy trenches, in 110 degree heat,
    sometimes the job just needs to be done. And it pays well if you can handle that environment. If not... stay on the porch.
    I'm just being realist, don't take me wrong here. My own son didn't want to do what I do... I don't blame him.

  23. #48
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    20
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Are you always standing on the job?

    Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    Sorry, man. But a post like this leads you to assembly line/production line welding. I'm sure they will give you a cushy stool, though. I've been doing this for 35 years now, in all kinds of weather, all times of day, in muddy trenches, in 110 degree heat,
    sometimes the job just needs to be done. And it pays well if you can handle that environment. If not... stay on the porch.
    I'm just being realist, don't take me wrong here. My own son didn't want to do what I do... I don't blame him.
    "But a post like this leads you to assembly line/production line welding." Fine by me. Not willing to do it for anything below $15/hr though.

    I can take heat and cold. I've worked in 105+ degrees weather, and well below freezing with a foot of snow. Heat and cold are uncomfortable at worst (although I haven't been in 105 degrees weather wearing full welding protection gear, which I can imagine will make me sweat my *** off), but they're not like the foot pain I've endured. Imagine being in constant stabbing, throbbing pain while still having to smile at retail customers and interact with them in a cheerful way. Imagine doing that for 6+ hours and near minimum wage. At least if I'm welding, I won't have to pretend to be happy and constantly be everyone's best friend. I think I have enough pain tolerance at this point to run an 50 mile ultramarathon. I'm actually really surprised that I was able to do that day after day without suffering some kind of permanent foot damage...or become crazy. I'm willing to endure that kind of pain all over again, but no longer than two years. I would not wish it on my worst enemy.

    Muddy trenches? Hell, that could be fun! As for rainy weather, isn't that like a huge risk of electrocution???

  24. #49
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Central Wa. state
    Posts
    4,778
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Are you always standing on the job?

    Sounds like your're gung-ho enough to do it then. Get the feet looked at so you know what you need then. I got my own foot issues and have them under control with custom made work boots. Really high arches and if I carry any weight on my heels it just kills me. Insoles didn't work at all, store bought boots don't get it no matter what brand, so I pay around 450$ every other year and smile a lot. Oh, this outfit rebuilds them for half the price of new, too. New arches and all, I actually get better life out of the rebuilds than I do out of new.

  25. #50
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    20
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Are you always standing on the job?

    Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    Sounds like your're gung-ho enough to do it then. Get the feet looked at so you know what you need then. I got my own foot issues and have them under control with custom made work boots. Really high arches and if I carry any weight on my heels it just kills me. Insoles didn't work at all, store bought boots don't get it no matter what brand, so I pay around 450$ every other year and smile a lot. Oh, this outfit rebuilds them for half the price of new, too. New arches and all, I actually get better life out of the rebuilds than I do out of new.
    Yea, looks like I'm gonna have to just bite that bullet and go see a podiatrist. That eating cherries idea doesn't sound bad, either.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Page generated in 1,627,262,686.82079 seconds with 11 queries