+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Are you always standing on the job?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Are you always standing on the job?

You can say I am wrong all you want. It makes no difference to me. How did the night in the back yard go with the wet wool coat go?

On the real when I am in the scrub I am barefoot when it's below freezing most of the time and living out doors non insulated non steel shanked boots work well for me at -30f.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    CRIME SCENES, COURT DATES, FUNERALS, RIDING THROUGH THE CITY WITH A BITCH THAT IS JUST BEAUTIFUL IT'S JUST BUSINESS AS USUAL.

Post Thanks / Like

Op: u sound like a whimp. Seriously I think u need to suck it up and quit complaining about ur feet. Everyones feet hurts when u stand for longer than an hour. Its called real work. Now, if theres a real issue u would be able to pin point some descriptions of the pain.
    Also, sounds like u may need to just go get a job while in school (kinda sounds like u dont have one). Im also not really a big fan of college degrees either unless u have a game plan after school and u get a degree worth something. (Ee sounds good, but how many real jobs are there out there for that?) Maybe trade school for electronics. Thats a sitting job and i have a family member that does that and makes approx 75k a year.

Throw away those video games too. They serve no purpose for bettering ur life.

Dynasty 200DX (2014)
    Millermatic 211 (2015)
    Optrel 864 (2014)
    Smith Medium duty MBA 30510 (Xmas 2014)
    Tennsmith 16ga 4ft finger brake (2015)
    Trailblazer 325 EFI and excel
    Thermal dynamics Cutmaster 82
    Miller maxtron 450

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by outdoort View Post
    (Ee sounds good, but how many real jobs are there out there for that?)
    seriously...?

electricity and embedded systems aren't a fad... they aren't going away lol...
    every single consumer electronic device and their vast infrastructure networks were designed by an EE

EE over qualifies for you a sh|tload of technician jobs and many other types of engineering jobs too.
    BSEE is one of the handful of college degrees that actually IS worth something.

Im also not really a big fan of college degrees either unless u have a game plan after school and u get a degree worth something.
    I'm guessing by that statement alone that you don't have a college degree?
    Last edited by MikeGyver; 07-11-2015 at 06:53 PM.
    Welding/Fab Pics: www.UtahWeld.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MikeGyver View Post
    seriously...?

electricity and embedded systems aren't a fad... they aren't going away lol...
    every single consumer electronic device and their vast infrastructure networks were designed by an EE

EE over qualifies for you a sh|tload of technician jobs and many other types of engineering jobs too.
    BSEE is one of the handful of college degrees that actually IS worth something.

I'm guessing by that statement alone that you don't have a college degree?
    I'm not going to retype what i just said, something got screwed up with what i had written. But anyway, i just feel too many college grads get out of school and live the next 20 years of their life in debt all while not making much more than non grads. It depends on ur will and perserverence.
    Dont get me wrong by the way, if one can get a engineering degree and has goals to get that job, im all for it. Engineering jobs pay very well generally- but its also not as easy as just getting the degree. (And if the op is having doubts about it, id tell him to explore other field first, but **** i guess if college is free keep going.
    I dont know why u felt like u had to dick measure there either with the comment about me ehaving a degree or not.

Dynasty 200DX (2014)
    Millermatic 211 (2015)
    Optrel 864 (2014)
    Smith Medium duty MBA 30510 (Xmas 2014)
    Tennsmith 16ga 4ft finger brake (2015)
    Trailblazer 325 EFI and excel
    Thermal dynamics Cutmaster 82
    Miller maxtron 450

Post Thanks / Like

That wasn't a dick remark, It was an honest question to your dick remark...
    Welding/Fab Pics: www.UtahWeld.com

Post Thanks / Like

Op: u sound like a whimp. Seriously I think u need to suck it up and quit complaining about ur feet. Everyones feet hurts when u stand for longer than an hour. Its called real work. Now, if theres a real issue u would be able to pin point some descriptions of the pain.
    Also, sounds like u may need to just go get a job while in school (kinda sounds like u dont have one). Im also not really a big fan of college degrees either unless u have a game plan after school and u get a degree worth something. (Ee sounds good, but how many real jobs are there out there for that?) Maybe trade school for electronics. Thats a sitting job and i have a family member that does that and makes approx 75k a year.

Throw away those video games too. They serve no purpose for bettering ur life.
    Every comment I've read in this forum so far has been either informative, interesting, or intelligent. Consider yours the first to not fit that description.

Are you seriously speaking for everyone? You're saying everyone would have the same experience as I do? I've already known quite a few who can be on their feet all day without any major discomfort. Are you saying that a person who had done 8 hours of work without experiencing any foot pain hasn't done any "real work?" Pain isn't easy to describe, as it's very subjective, and I've already given the description of "stabbing, throbbing pain." It's severe enough that it's always in the background of my awareness when I'm concentrating hard on a task; and when I'm not concentrating on anything, the pain occupies my awareness almost completely. That's the best I can do for you. It may not be a "real issue" to you, but until you've experienced it yourself, you don't really have a clue how bad it is.

Your comment shows that you probably don't have any real college experience, or at least within a STEM field. Do you even have any clue how hard and saturated an engineering study workload is? If you would try to be a full-time engineering student taking 12+ (typically 14+) units, and work a part-time job at the same time, you probably wouldn't even be able to sleep 6 hours a night regularly, nevermind even think about having a life or enjoying any kind of recreation. Don't try to give advice in something about which you have zero clue. It doesn't come off as helpful, nor intelligent.

The competitive strategy gaming (Starcraft 2) that I do isn't for "bettering my life." (Whatever that means) It's a hobby that not only sharpens my intellect, but also my motor coordination skills and mental reflex. However, even without those mental benefits, a hobby is a still a hobby; people live to enjoy life, not to work, unless their work is what they enjoy. I'm interested in welding, because it seems like something I would really enjoy as a challenging activity, especially the more skill-focused TIG welds (aluminum, titanium, etc.) that I've seen and read about.

Post Thanks / Like

If it's 70*, I wouldn't wear a wool coat, and I don't think anyone else would, either. Barefoot when it's freezing? I'm from Missouri. You'll have to show me. And due to finding wool socks, I've never had to layer socks since then, which is what I did before. I wouldn't live anywhere that it got to -30*. I think the kid will take the advice that he deems realistic. I said your wive's tale comment is wrong. You need to chill out, bud.

Quote Originally Posted by mikecwik View Post
    You can say I am wrong all you want. It makes no difference to me. How did the night in the back yard go with the wet wool coat go?

On the real when I am in the scrub I am barefoot when it's below freezing most of the time and living out doors non insulated non steel shanked boots work well for me at -30f.

Last edited by showme; 07-13-2015 at 04:32 PM.
    "When I rest, I rust" Old German proverb

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by showme View Post
    If it's 70*, I wouldn't wear a wool coat, and I don't think anyone else would, either. Barefoot when it's freezing? I'm from Missouri. You'll have to show me. And due to finding wool socks, I've never had to layer socks since then, which is what I did before. I wouldn't live anywhere that it got to -30*. I think the kid will take the advice that he deems realistic. I said your wive's tale comment is wrong. You need to chill out, bud.
    Obviously we have gone a bit off topic. Of course nearly anyone would want a coat sleeping outside at around 70. I am a hot sleeper but you know even without the dew settling on you or the wind kicking up that is about when people start curling up in the fetal position and wishing it would be daylight. Should we throw in some rain as I said let me know how warm your wool kept you.

I have always found it hard to take the person saying wool will keep you warm when wet seriously. It is bad advice to give just like giving someone an easy out set that has never used one and telling them this will get them out.

Wool can't keep you anywhere near as warm as your brain and experience can and it is the same with the easy out.

Plus me personally prefer synthetics to wool in nearly every way as far as clothing goes. I knew a lot of people that were more skilled than I was at the time in primitive skills and everybody was recommending wool from King of the Mountain. I never really cared for any of the military wools other than the scarf which I find to work well and can be used in many configurations but I did buy pants and shirt from KOTM. There is nothing wrong with the product but I found it to be no different than other wools I have tried. That was probably about $600 bucks spent to just hang in the closet. I don't even care to wear it around the house.

Post Thanks / Like

mikecwik - I live in Northern MN, and "what keeps people warm" is a common topic.

Our town, Bemidji and International Falls actually swap "Icebox of the Nation" titles (friendly rivalry) and car manufacturers do cold weather testing here. Ambient temps can hit -50 and wind chills can be -25 for many days on end.

Wool does keep you warm even when wet - however, modern high tech synthetics do it even better and with less weight and overall bulk.

My pull-over wool bibs get a lot of use here - even more when I used to work outside everyday. They tend to ice up and turn to ice blocks from the knee down in really bad winters, but so do my Carhart bibs.

Both do a good job - but expensive high tech pants are even better - just hard to justify when they will get used for work and can get torn up.

Some reading for you:

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  77.4 KB
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Post Thanks / Like

If wool kept you warm when wet then nobody ever would have died from hypothermia while wearing it. It is my autistic side that takes issue with the statement.

Post Thanks / Like

If wool kept you warm when wet then nobody ever would have died from hypothermia while wearing it. It is my autistic side that takes issue with the statement.
    It is painfully obvious that you are not interested in information that disagrees with your position - which I have provided.

Either you are trying to be argumentative or refuse to read, and think about, information that you decide is false - neither of these are complimentary.

By your argument, modern synthetics then have a perfect track record of preventing hypothermia - which is false.
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc

Post Thanks / Like

Wool is terrific stuff. Seldom mentioned in welding circles is that it's silent...or at least very quiet. This allows you to sneak up on Bambi when wearing all wool clothing just before letting the little sucker have it with a high powered rifle.
    Dan

I hope that when i'm dead and gone, people will remember me and think; "Boy, that guy sure owed me a lot of money!"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skyboltone View Post
    Wool is terrific stuff. Seldom mentioned in welding circles is that it's silent...or at least very quiet. This allows you to sneak up on Bambi when wearing all wool clothing just before letting the little sucker have it with a high powered rifle.
    Don't forget naturally flame resistant as well

It's used in fire fighting clothing (past and present):

http://www.hemmingfire.com/news/full..._industry.html
    Last edited by MinnesotaDave; 07-13-2015 at 08:03 PM.
    Dave J.

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc

Post Thanks / Like

Apparently throughout history they have been wrong about wool. Why did the 19th century fishermen use it, because they got wet and it kept them warm. Hey but so will sticking your head in the sand and refusing to accept fact.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't say modern synthetics keep you warm when wet that is for sure. I am just amazed how nobody wearing wool was never cold even if the stuff was bone dry. I have been cold too many times and dry to believe that something water logged is going to keep me warm.

CRIME SCENES, COURT DATES, FUNERALS, RIDING THROUGH THE CITY WITH A BITCH THAT IS JUST BEAUTIFUL IT'S JUST BUSINESS AS USUAL.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't say modern synthetics keep you warm when wet that is for sure. I am just amazed how nobody wearing wool was never cold even if the stuff was bone dry. I have been cold too many times and dry to believe that something water logged is going to keep me warm.

You go ahead and stay in your little world - don't bother to peek out at the rest of us - we'll all be wrong anyway
    Dave J.

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc

Post Thanks / Like

If anybody near me wants to test the 70 degree night theory of this fall maybe we can go jump in a lake near freezing and spend the night out. I am ready willing and able.

Post Thanks / Like

If anybody near me wants to test the 70 degree night theory of this fall maybe we can go jump in a lake near freezing and spend the night out. I am ready willing and able.

as appealing as that sounds i'm going to reluctantly decline.
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by docwelder View Post
    as appealing as that sounds i'm going to reluctantly decline.
    . Haha, no doubt.

Post Thanks / Like

I just wanted people to find out for themselves. No its not appealing but to find out too late has cost many people dearly. Like I said wool would keep you warmer than other products but you are not going to like it when wet. The better idea is not to let it get wet to begin with. You will be colder with anything wet than dry and happier too.

Post Thanks / Like

I like pizza.
    I hate being bi-polar it's awsome

My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist