+ Reply to Thread

Thread: ?? solder radiator , plug hole in veins veins ??

Post Thanks / Like

?? solder radiator , plug hole in veins veins ??

A couple nuts went through the fan into a radiator on a miller big 20. Put a hole in two different veins, and kinda smashed the zig zag vents next to it. Holes are smaller than half the dia. of a pencil lead. I think I could close up the holes some w/ a needle nose if you thought it would help. I couldn't find any you tube vids on this, only vids on fixing alum radiators. I couldn't find any descent articles on it either. I'm not sure if the veins are copper or brass, they are deep bright gold. I'm hoping some of you can give me some advice on what to use to fix this. My biggest questions is what type of flux and solder/filler to use. I have some phos copper sticks on hand, some different silver solders at different percentages, some bridgit flux, a old can of black flux, but i can't remeber why, or what i used these on. Maybe a little coaching or pointers on how to go about it also. I don't mind ordering or finding the materials you guys think is best. I have plenty of time to do this. The radiator is off the machine. I don't think I can buy solder w/ lead in the state i live in, but if lead is a big plus, maybe i can find a way. I just wan't to do this right the first time.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: ?? solder radiator , plug hole in veins veins ??

Take it to a radiator shop. They're setup to clean inside and out, repair and then test
    the repair. You're not.
    Blackbird

Post Thanks / Like

I'm trying to avoid that, but thanks anyway

Post Thanks / Like

Not recommending this, but many years ago I fixed a leak in a vein as you call it by crimping it off and soldering the mashed ends. I just used regular plumbing solder and a propane torch. I don't know what radiators are made of today though.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks, i have some radiators that were cut and crimped that way. My landlord recently had a vein w/ a hole, they caked over it, and it appears the vein is still completely operational. That is what I'm striving to learn to do.

Post Thanks / Like

This is what you need..
    http://www.jegs.com/i/Moroso/710/355...T38aAv9l8P8HAQ

All weather engine seal.

...zap!

I am not completely insane..
    Some parts are missing

Professional Driver on a closed course....
    Do not attempt.

Just because I'm a dumbass don't mean that you can be too.
    So DON'T try any of this **** l do at home.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zapster View Post
    This is what you need..

All weather engine seal.

...zap!
    Looks like Water Glass (Sodium Silicate) Good stop leak for steam engine boilers that have a little weep.

I have tried fixing radiators befor with limitides success. Just can't get things clean enough. I also suggest a radiator shop.

Dan D.
    Manipulator Of Metal

Post Thanks / Like

Tube and fin is what it's called in the radiator world. You can repair it by aggressive cleaning w/muratic acid internally followed by a washing of sodium carbonate to neutralize the acid. You can then solder the compromised tubes shut with 50/50 solder and a good flux agent after gingerly slicing through the fins in the immediate area, folding them back for access, cleaning the area well, and have at it. If the tubes are severed more than about 50%, mash them closed on each side of the compromise and solder this shut. No need to cut them off. If more than about four tubes require repair work, it really requires recoring; especially a hard working machine. When finished, fold the fins back into place best you can as they not only increase the surface area of the tube, they offer greatly needed support to the tube adjacent to them on both sides.

I too recommend a radiator shop do the repair but you can do it following what I've typed. It can't be overemphasized the need for cleanliness or you are wasting your time. A radiator shop won't let it leave with a leak I'd think.......
    Slob

Purveyor of intimate unparalleled knowledge of nothing about everything.

Oh yeah, also an unabashed internet "Troll" too.....

Post Thanks / Like

If you repair it, pressure test it in a water tub using air preset to no more than 18 psi. Really 13 psi is adequate. You can get the adjustable rubber block-off plugs at Advance Auto, Autozone etc. I repair aluminum a/c condensers all the time using flux and low temp brazing rod, but it's been years since I soldered on a copper/brass radiator. It can be done if you're careful.
    Miller Syncrowave 350
    Millermatic 252/ 30A spoolgun
    Miller Bobcat 225g w/ 3545 spoolgun
    Lincoln PowerArc4000
    Lincoln 175 Mig
    Lincoln 135 Mig
    Everlast 250EX Tig
    Century ac/dc 230 amp stick
    Victor O/A
    Hypertherm 1000 plasma

Post Thanks / Like

Take to a shop.They know how, you dont.Shops test under water with pressure.Old radiators can be plain rotten and impossible to solder.A nurse just put 13 stitches in my hand.I could have done it but decided not to.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the comments everyone. Zap, that looks like some good stuff, I'll keep it in mind for when i really need it. slob, thanks for the run down. when you say 50 50 solder, 1/2 silver, half TIN, lead, or what? I ought to be able to handle it, i found a marvel scheubler float the other day, that i soldered a leak on about 20 years ago that i forgot about. I try to be as independent as i can. I'll find a shot core to practice on. farmer37, you should have seen w/ my german shepherd surgery on the welding table. used welding jackets as straight jackets, and ratchet straps help hold him down, to dig a faxtail out of his side.

Post Thanks / Like

50/50 solder refers to tin/lead content. Same as formerly and most commonly used in sweating plumbing connections together before the "greenies" got to the trade.
    Slob

Post Thanks / Like

I did one a while back. I pinched the veins close and soldered it with acid core solder. Lasted for years while I still owned it.

Post Thanks / Like

Lower water outlet on my Cummins leaked when I bought the truck 5 years ago. Radiator was about 19 years old then. I took it out, got it real clean, flux, hit it with propane torch and lead. This was 5 years and over 150,000 miles ago. No I have not changed the antifreeze since and no it has not dropped at all. It is possible to fix these things if you get it really clean.

Coronado. CA across the bay from San Diego, CA
    Post Thanks / Like

Old technology no longer taught in the US.
    Pinch off the tubes and solder them up.
    Test for leaks. Best done by a radiator shop, preferably with a third world trained tech.

I would prefer to take the radiator to a shop in Mexico.
    I offer three choices: Good, Fast, & Cheap. You may pick two.

Hobart AC/DC StikMate LX
    Harbor Freight AD Hood
    Harbor Freight Industrial Chop Saw
    DeVilbis 20 Gallon, 5 HP Compressor

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=zapster;6092871]This is what you need..

All weather engine seal.

...zap![/QUOT

Back in the early '80's I was repairing cars as a side job. I had a college aged kid thay was a neighbors friend come to me with a early model Honda Civic. Can't remember what year. It had a blown head gasket and he didn't have enough money to even buy the gaskets. I told him I'd try the Moroso sealer on it ,but wasn't promising anything. The stuff was amazing ,he drove the car for 3 more years and when he sold it he told me it ran like that for another 2 years before it was totaled in an accident. I couldn't believe that the sealer worked so well............

Post Thanks / Like

We put it in every new race engine that went in the 'Hoss just for the head gasket issues that came with Hi compression FE engines.

Seals leaks very well and don't clog up anything.

...zap!

I am not completely insane..
    Some parts are missing

Professional Driver on a closed course....
    Do not attempt.

Just because I'm a dumbass don't mean that you can be too.
    So DON'T try any of this **** l do at home.

Post Thanks / Like

My uncle had a 1932 'Rambler' (he died in 1970) This cars radiator had probably 2 boxes of toothpicks stuck in various holes in it. They worked, tho.

-c-
    What is the sound of one knee jerking?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cornemuse View Post
    My uncle had a 1932 'Rambler' (he died in 1970) This cars radiator had probably 2 boxes of toothpicks stuck in various holes in it. They worked, tho.

-c-
    course ground black pepper and raw eggs work also right into the radiator tank when the engine is hot and running.
    Slob

Post Thanks / Like

I had a battery hop out and bounce around under the hood once. It broke the heater hose fitting off the radiator tank. I couldn't get it clean enough to make the fix with the radiator in the vehicle using 50/50 so I used some Hi temp silver and It worked perfect except the solder melted out of the tank to core joint and I ended up taking the whole thing out anyway to fix the now leaking tank. Its back in and working now but if any radiator shop tries to remove that hose fitting they are going to cuss me. I guess what I'm saying is, TAKING THE TIME TO DO IT RIGHT IS THE BEST SHORTCUT OF ALL.
    Lincolin Power Wave 450, Lincoln Powermig 255, Lincoln Pro Mig 140, Lincoln Squarewave Tig 275, Miller Big 40 G(with Hobart Hefty suitcase), Thermal Arc 95S and Esab PCM875 in an already full machine shop.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist