Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Forged wine rack

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Forged wine rack

You did a great job! That's a labor of love, for sure. Where did you learn this art/trade?

I'm a new guy here, so if you've already explained all this a hundred times before, I apologize...

Rich

Post Thanks / Like

My original exposure to metal working was way back in the early 80's in Jr high school out near Seattle. The school shop covered wood, metal and plastic and we had to do at least one project in each area 1st time minimum. After that we could do what we wanted. The shop had a Johnson gas forge and anvil and also did alum casting, as well as stick and gas welding and a bit of sheet metal work. I took shop as often as they would let me.

Then a few years back a family member noticed a flyer in a local shop that mentioned the local college was running a 4 day summer blacksmithing studio workshop and mentioned it to me. I've taken it every summer since. The instructor mentioned during class that next year they are trying to put together an iron casting class as well. I told him to let me know, I'd sign up for that as well when they get is all finalized and set up. The instructor for that was one of the students in my class 2 years ago who runs a foundry locally. I've also wanted to get the chance to get back into casting alum as well and had talked to him at the time about seeing where he worked..

You'd be surprised at how many places do "arts crafts" classes like this. I've collected a small list of places on the east coast and mid west and know there's a number of places in AZ, CA and the North West that also do classes. Many times it's not just blacksmithing, but pottery, glass blowing, stone carving, timber framing, metal casting, jewelry and so on that are also offered. Taking a timber framing class at some point is on my bucket list. The local college also runs stone carving summer workshops, but they always seem to conflict with when I want to do the blacksmithing with a specific instructor, or they don't get enough students to fill the class. I tried to take the stone carving class last year after I did the blacksmithing class, but they didn't get enough students to run the workshop in the only session offered.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

That's really good...that you have all that available nearby. I'm not aware of too much of those types of seminars / courses here in RI, but then again, I don't even have time to do what's gotta be done around here, never mind extra time for "fun stuff". Pretty sad, actually...

Although RISD (Rhode Island School of Design) sometimes offers these type of things. I once took a welding sculpture class there, quite a few years ago.

Anyway, you do nice work!

Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by steelsurgeon View Post
    That's really good...that you have all that available nearby. I'm not aware of too much of those types of seminars / courses here in RI, but then again, I don't even have time to do what's gotta be done around here, never mind extra time for "fun stuff". Pretty sad, actually...

Although RISD (Rhode Island School of Design) sometimes offers these type of things. I once took a welding sculpture class there, quite a few years ago.
    I'm not very familiar with either of these. I remember someone either here or else where posting up about welding classes at the Steel Yard though. Rhode Island school of design also shows up on the ABANA website as a possible option for blacksmithing classes.

http://www.hearthsidehouse.org/hannaway/

http://www.thesteelyard.org/takeacourse/courses

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by steelsurgeon View Post

I'm not very familiar with either of these. I remember someone either here or else where posting up about welding classes at the Steel Yard though. Rhode Island school of design also shows up on the ABANA website as a possible option for blacksmithing classes.

http://www.hearthsidehouse.org/hannaway/

http://www.thesteelyard.org/takeacourse/courses

Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

Doug, here's the texturing die I made. I cut a piece of 1" ID black pipe in half, lengthways. Welded two pieces of angle iron edge to edge to make a channel. Welded the pipe half in the channel. Ran a bunch of beads with 1/16" 6011 to make thin, ugly beads (not a problem there). Then I scored some grooves with a 1/16" cut off disk for more texture. I lastly welded the die to a 3" piece of 1" square bar to fit my hardy hole.

There was one problem with using the 1" pipe. When I laid a section of 1/2" rod in the die to try a texture, my hammer head wouldn't strike the rod!!!! Too deep!! So... I stuck the die back in the forge, heated it to yellow and hammered the pipe/angle iron part much flatter. Now I can reach the rod with the hammer.

Name:  100_5266.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  70.3 KBName:  100_5268.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  52.8 KBName:  100_5270.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  49.8 KB

Post Thanks / Like

the only way it could be better, is if had something in it, that was slightly chilled

Post Thanks / Like

All of your work is inspiringly beautiful.
    Good luck with all your other smithing projects.
    Regards,
    Jon

Post Thanks / Like

Nice rack Doug.

What, two pages of replies and no one said it yet? You guys are slipping, I tell you.

The best laid schemes ... Gang oft agley ...

Post Thanks / Like

Wow... wonderful bit of forging there. I really like it.

Thanks!
    Dan Kaschner
    Eagan, MN

Post Thanks / Like

Very very cool!

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful work. I like your idea of some kind of clear coating. It is way to nice to cover it with paint. You give me inspiration to try and do a better job with my own projects.

There is a large farm just outside of Waco that has classes. I have wanted to take their blacksmithing and their wood working classes but never made the time. Their classes are all hand tools.....even the wood working. My wife took a bee keeping class and a dairy goat class there so I got to see the facility. They even have a mill where they grind their own wheat.

Post Thanks / Like

Doug,
    Love that wine rack, leaves and vines are awesome.
    Thanks for posting,
    Jon

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! Awesome work Doug.

Sorry now that I passed up looking at this thread for so long.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    '68 Red Face Code #6633 project
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

Post Thanks / Like

Love it, you got skill man
    Dave Reber
    Wadsworth Ohio

Post Thanks / Like

A few more picts of the wine rack and some process picts I said I'd post up for someone who asked....

1st two are of me adding the missing collar. SHhould be pretty much self explanatory combined with the explanation above.

Name:  DSCN4928a.JPG
Views: 74
Size:  38.9 KB

Name:  DSCN4933a.JPG
Views: 79
Size:  39.7 KB

Next two are bending the rings for my next wine rack. In my coal forge, and at a larger size, it takes two heats to do a ring ( plus a third after I cut and joint the ends to flatten the rings out) 1st heat does 75% of the bend and 2nd one finishes the rap. After it cools ( do not quench in water as it may possibly harden the steel if it's junk steel) I slice thru the doubled section and bend the ends to match and tig weld them shut. Later I do the 3rd heat and use a large piece of flat stock to push the ring back down to flat on the anvil.

Name:  DSCN4935a.JPG
Views: 73
Size:  32.0 KB

Name:  DSCN4937a.JPG
Views: 71
Size:  31.6 KB

I'll add picts of the next one after I get it finished.

Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

A pict of the finished rack with bottles. Weather didn't cooperate today so I had to shoot in the house. I'm hoping the weather improves tomorrow, so I can try and get better side picts. I couldn't get good picts tonight without getting other things in the background. Next one the feet need to be a bit lower than I have on this one. Bottles sit on the "floor" in the bottom row vs on the rings like above. I'm not sure how I'll solve that on the partially done one right now. Changes may have to await version 3.0.

Name:  DSCN4949a.JPG
Views: 71
Size:  34.0 KB

Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice work!

You mean to tell us you didn't forge weld the rings???????? Just pullin' yer chain! (I would e-weld it myself, my forge welds suck!). My problem is finding something large enough to bend rings around. Not much in the way of pipe where I am, just rocks.

Post Thanks / Like

That is SUPER !!! I have enough habits and you still try to convince me [ US ? ] to start playing blacksmith . Actually I just bought a book, '' The Backyard Blacksmith '' by Lorelei Sims. I thought there would be a fold out since the author is female. http://www.amazon.ca/The-Backyard-Bl.../dp/0785825673

Those leaves are outstanding. That's got take some time. Turned out really nice.

Post Thanks / Like

I picked up that bending jig from a guy on Ebay. I have a small bending jig of similar design from Yesteryear Forge, but their larger Ultra Jig was just too much money. I guess I could have built my own if I really wanted. 4" ID pipe would work well for wine rack rings. That would give me about a 4 1/2" ID ring. I may get some decent plate and try to make up an actual die for the bender on my lathe, once I get the lathe straighten out and running true.

I'll highly recommend Yesteryear Forges stuff, and even if you build your own, their youtube videos on how to use their jigs is well worth the time to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/user/YesteryearForge/videos

Oh here's the youtube video of the large jig for those who might be interested.

Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
    That is SUPER !!! I have enough habits and you still try to convince me [ US ? ] to start playing blacksmith . Actually I just bought a book, '' The Backyard Blacksmith '' by Lorelei Sims. I thought there would be a fold out since the author is female. http://www.amazon.ca/The-Backyard-Bl.../dp/0785825673

I have that book. It's a good basic primer on how to get started. Lots of good info and not too hard to understand. When you get done, loan the book to Equilibrium for a bit...

See I have a plan... I'll eventually drag Equilibrium over to the Dark side. She already started to weaken last year... Maybe I'll send her a build a "tree" kit with some forged branch stock and some precut leaves and a few textured examples. She really was interested in that kind of stuff last year. If I get you doing it too, she'll collapse and give in after she sees you do some stuff.

Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DSW View Post
    I have that book. It's a good basic primer on how to get started. Lots of good info and not too hard to understand. When you get done, loan the book to Equilibrium for a bit...

See I have a plan... I'll eventually drag Equilibrium over to the Dark side. She already started to weaken last year... Maybe I'll send her a build a "tree" kit with some forged branch stock and some precut leaves and a few textured examples. She really was interested in that kind of stuff last year. If I get you doing it too, she'll collapse and give in after she sees you do some stuff.
    Yes sir !! She did do quite a bit last year with Turbo torch. I only let her use the Turbo torch and that was really a SIGHT TO SEE !!! When she returns I'll get the rosebud out.