+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best helmet!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best helmet!

Quote Originally Posted by welditforyou View Post
    I looked this hood up because I too could use a new one. Just what (in your opinion) makes this hood so good? I don't mind a little more money if I get what I pay for.

Jim
    I love the view. I don't weld for a living, so flipping a lid is maddening. The headgear is very comfortable. I have a pretty big noggin and it adjusts well for it. I specifically waited for the larger Balder lens because it shows so much more of the weld area.

Irving, TX. Epicenter of the Metroplex!
    Using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

CEP. Whoz yo daddy ?
    Always the voice of reason around here it seems. I run similar stuff and my welds have been sticking together pretty good since Nixon was the scumbag of the day. I even passed a few Xray tests along the way............OK a few drug tests didn't come out so well but I went home with a smile and little back pain.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 92dlxman View Post
    my eyes used to get tired when i was running an elite. it is since retired.

now i just run a fibremetal pipeliner with 2x 41/4" phillips safety "athermal" lens in shade 11 and i dont look back, and my eyes are nice and relaxed.
    All I use now is my fibremetal flip front with an AD insert lens. I've used several different and much more expensive shields in the past and I'll take the simple fibremetal before anything now. I like being able to flip open the lens for grinding purposes. Add a good $100 auto dark insert lens and life is good.
    Jason
    Lincoln Idealarc 250 stick/tig
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Miller Bobcat 250
    Torchmate CNC table
    Thermal Arc Hefty 2
    Ironworkers Local 720

Post Thanks / Like

I run a cheap flip front helmet when I began my apprenticeship.

Later got a Accu-Strike "chin operated" helmet, it was good for the broad variety of fabrication welding I was doing at the time. But a bit on the heavy side.

When I moved to Alberta I went back to a lightweight flip front when I was spooling pressure piping.

Then I changed jobs and was doing mostly TIG on aluminum and found the need for an auto darkening unit. Found a Miller Digital Elite in a pawn shop and that has been my go to for the last 8 years or so. It has begun to go through batteries far to quickly so I visited a pawn shop again and got a SpeedGlass. The SpeedGlass is perhaps nicer but I really haven't used it much, its my backup.

For me the most important feature is lightweight, for whatever reason I get headaches easily with even light headgear.
    Red Seal Journeyman Welder (2003), Red Seal Journeyman Metal Fabricator (2018), Welding Engineering Technologist (2005)
    Pressure - ASME Section IX
    Structural - CSA W47.1, CSA W47.2
    Transport tanker - CSA B620
    Aerospace - AWS D17.1

Post Thanks / Like

Lincoln 3350 with 4c has been the best helmet that I have used. For one it cuts the green color out looking at the arc with a blue lens can make a world of difference to me. The clarity in what you see is great. Adjustable from 5-13 for shade is nice too. And the last part it's in your price range .
    Klutch 220si mig , stick, and dc tig
    Hobart 140
    AHP ALPHA 200X 2016
    Lotos LTP5000D
    Smith O/P

Post Thanks / Like

Got that Lincoln Viking 3350, off amazon several days ago.

Quality helmet for sure. Many adjustments.

Very satisfied, was using junk HF helmet previously.

Charl

Post Thanks / Like

I use a 3M™ Speedglas™ Welding Helmet 9100 MP and a miller titanium for the quick 5 minutes jobs. I put the full hoody under so I don't get any glare from sun and to protect my neck and ear from getting burn by co-workers welding besides me. But hey, I'm just a show off with no experience.
    Last edited by Daniel-B; 07-03-2016 at 12:35 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I just bought this and absolutely love it. very comfortable
    Cheapest price i have been able to find
    http://store.weldersource.com/p-4209...t-k4158-3.aspx

I replaced my arc one with an IDF81 filter because its just to damn complicated. The lincoln 3350 is easy as pie and the viewable area is just as big as the IDF81
    Last edited by bevis28; 09-03-2016 at 11:24 AM.
    When i grow up i want to be a welder

PRIMEWELD TIG225ACDCP
    Millermatic 215
    Everlast PowerPlasma 50
    oxy/ac
    Not enough talent to use any of it very well

Post Thanks / Like

92dlxman is this like your buddies Huntsman? A friend saw it at a yard sale and picked it up for me. I've used it a bunch. It's very cool.Name:  20160903_170428_001.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  50.6 KB
    Trailblazer 302G
    12VS Extreme
    Miller SD180
    Coolmate 4
    Miller 251
    Miller 175
    Victor OA
    Hypertherm 380
    Milling Machine
    Lathe
    Bandsaw

Post Thanks / Like

Hobart! Stay with me now.....
    The last hood I had was a Miller digital Elite. It's a great hood but I feel that It's a bit over priced.
    Shopping around I stumbled upon the Hobart Pro hood. For the past year it's been one of the best hoods I've used.
    For about 6 month of this past year I was doing a ton of MIG with a little Flux Core sprinkled in. I was working in a handrail/fence shop and we also had to do installs
    so my hood bounced around In the back of the truck a lot and held up strong. The other 6 months have been all TIG and the hood does very well. It's no passive hood with a gold lens but It does the job well.
    I feel like you get the most bang for your buck with this hood. A large viewing area with 4 sensors and Millers fancy top of the line head gear. All for $161 on Cyber Weld with free shipping and no Tax if you live outside of NJ.
    Really good deal if you ask me. No, I don't work for Cyber Weld...Yes, I am from NJ

Name:  DSCF6327.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  53.2 KBName:  DSCF6328.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  50.3 KBName:  DSCF6329.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  40.1 KB
    http://store.cyberweld.com/hohoweheblxv1.html

Iggy

Post Thanks / Like

One other thing to mention..... The auto darkening insert is made by COLTS. Which also makes the Miller Inserts.

Post Thanks / Like

Best helmet!

Quote Originally Posted by docwelder View Post
    nothing beats an old school fibre-metal flip front. those fegelah looking futuristic a/d shields with the graphics look too showy for my taste. all hat and no cowboy.
    That's all I use these days. I use an ad insert in mine. The simplicity and functionality of this set up out performs everything else, for a lot less money.
    I won't use a shield that doesn't have a flip front for grinding.
    Last edited by snoeproe; 09-05-2016 at 09:48 PM.
    Jason
    Lincoln Idealarc 250 stick/tig
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Miller Bobcat 250
    Torchmate CNC table
    Thermal Arc Hefty 2
    Ironworkers Local 720

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bevis28 View Post
    I just bought this and absolutely love it. very comfortable
    Cheapest price i have been able to find
    http://store.weldersource.com/p-4209...t-k4158-3.aspx

I replaced my arc one with an IDF81 filter because its just to damn complicated. The lincoln 3350 is easy as pie and the viewable area is just as big as the IDF81
    Bevis, I am on the fence between the ArcOne IDF81, and the 3350. I had my mind dead set on the 3350, until I saw the ArcOne. The reason I want the ArcOne is for the external grind mode switch. It seems like I'm always laying a little bead, then pick up the grinder. Usually, I pull off the helmet, drop it on the floor, flip it up, or it falls off my head when I need to grind.. plus the need for safety glasses. The external grind switch seems like it would better suit my needs. The 3350 internal grind switch seems like an annoyance.

For those reasons, would you still recommend the 3350 over the ArcOne?

Post Thanks / Like

I like the headgear on my 3350, nice solid helmet, but it eats batteries faster than my Miller elite. I still reach for the faceshield for grinding though, it would have to be pretty bright to enjoy the shade 3 for grinding.
    SqWave 200
    Millermatic 190
    Airco 200 AC
    Hypertherm PM45
    Boice-Crane Band Saw
    Victor O/A

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist