Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rod to build up trunnion shaft on skidsteer hydrostat pump

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rod to build up trunnion shaft on skidsteer hydrostat pump

Quote Originally Posted by Zoom4 View Post
    I don't think you realize the precise fit of parts in hydrostatic pumps and motors, the swash plate in the picture is beyond worn out. I can only imagine what the slippers and pistons/bores look like. That could easily be causing so much internal leakage that it will never seal up. While I've done my share of build up and machining jobs I don't think it's a good idea in this case. I'm not trying to be negative here, it's just my opinion after many years as a mechanic in a JD industrial dealership.
    Dirk
    Dirk, I value your opinion, you know more about it than me. Are you saying that based on the scratches on the plate itself where the pistons/slippers ride?

Post Thanks / Like

Any reason I can't blow compressed air through the case drain hose with cap off tank to see if it's plugged?.

I've noticed the hydrostatic pump is drained on its own line, separate from the motors and hydro pump which are daisy-chained together.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm of similar opinion. Those pumps work with extremely close tolerances. If there's that much wear on the plate I'm sure there's a good bit of wear on the piston and bores. Even more likely is bad wear at the cylinder, and end plates. My experience is that's where the wear and leakage show up first.
    Millermatic 252
    XMT 304's
    Dynasty 280DX
    Hypertherm PowerMax 1250
    Miller Trailblazer 302 EFI
    Optima Pulser
    XR feeder and XR Edge gun
    and more at
    http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook/index.htm

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, while to the untrained eye that may not look like much wear if you can feel scratches with your fingernail etc. it's worn out. Hydrostat systems work at very high pressures and it doesn't take much to create an internal leak that will give you problems.
    Dirk

Post Thanks / Like

Should have followed-up years ago, but wanted to pass on that I followed Dirk's advice and replaced the swash plate and a few other parts. Put back together and the skidsteer's been running fine for past 6 years.

6. Likes MinnesotaDave, ronsii liked this post