+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My First Lathe - Vintage Craftsman, What is it?

Post Thanks / Like

My First Lathe - Vintage Craftsman, What is it?

Hi guys,

First timer here. Just picked up a Craftsman lathe, that I THINK is one of the 101 re-branded Atlas lathes? Bought it for dirt cheap, included a table, and a drawer full of different items. The machine works fine, except, the motor doesn't have enough torque to turn the automation that allows it to thread. I have to bump start the lathe (when the threading gears are disengaged) with my hand. Nothing is bent, but nearly every bolt is loose so it jumps around like as if it had a bent pulley. It needs a restoration, which I hope to get to after I use it for a few quickie jobs. So my immediate plans are do clean it, lubricate it and fix anything that needs immediate fixing.

My first question is, can I wash it with degreaser while it's still together? I know wetting the motor and starting it could cause damage, but will I dry out anything I'm unaware of?

My second question is, where should I make sure to lubricate after a wash? I understand wetting the bed with oil, the oil fill on the main bearing is easy to see, two oil screws on the top of the cross slide and the lead screw, but where else? Also, is 20WT oil acceptable on bearings, etc. and grease on essentially anything with teeth?

I'm hoping with everything tight, check on the wiring of the motor and removing all of the old grease, it'll have less resistance and it'll thread. Even if that's not true, it won't hurt it to clean it and lubricate.

Also, I made the stupid mistake of running the tool post too far down the cross slide and it must have fell out of the threads. Is that a hard fix?

Name:  IMG_4028.jpg
Views: 590
Size:  87.5 KB

Name:  IMG_4032.jpg
Views: 548
Size:  74.3 KB

Name:  IMG_4030.jpg
Views: 554
Size:  66.3 KB

Name:  IMG_4027.jpg
Views: 534
Size:  86.5 KB
    Last edited by VandelayIndustries; 08-17-2015 at 09:53 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: My First Lathe - Vintage Craftsman, What is it?

Check out MrPete222 (tubalcain) on Youtube. He's got a lot of basic videos on lathe stuff that may be of help to you. I think one video deals with the cross slide. but it's been a while since I viewed that one.

https://www.youtube.com/user/mrpete222

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

Pull the belt off and test the motor by itself. If it's sluggish I'm thinking bearings. I see what looks like a zirk fitting on the drive end there, maybe, which would indicate that it's not a sealed bearing. I've changed out bearings on many many motors. It's not difficult at all. Mark the end bells so that you can put the motor back together exactly the way it is now then take out all the through bolts and press the bearings out. There will almost certainly be a number on each one. The drive end bearing might be a little bigger. Now call this outfit: http://www.accuratebearing.com Tell her you are a member of Old Woodworking Machinery forum and that you need a couple of bearings. She'll take care of you. They don't make any money off these little orders so don't be a pest and don't give her a bunch of dimensions. She is NOT equipped to sell that way. She needs a number. Now, there's a centrifugal switch in there too that cuts out the capacitor when the motor comes up to speed. Make sure that it is working right and not all gummed up. Clean it. Granger sells all sorts of motor capacitors. Or Eflea. There are no brushes or other contact points in the motor other than the centrifugal switch. If it runs now it is repairable.
    Dan

I hope that when i'm dead and gone, people will remember me and think; "Boy, that guy sure owed me a lot of money!"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VandelayIndustries View Post
    Hi guys,

Also, I made the stupid mistake of running the tool post too far down the cross slide and it must have fell out of the threads. Is that a hard fix?
    You should be able to pull the tool post back and carefully restart the thread. If it is to tight loosen the gib screws and readjust later as required.
    ---Meltedmetal

Post Thanks / Like

It is an Atlas. The change gears are a die cast zinc material called Zamac and it will break if you look at it wrong.
    I would pull the change gears and was them in mineral spirits then was the rest of the machine with degreaser. After degreasing blow if off with compressed air then oil the way, lead screw and anything that looks precision(cannot believe I am saying that about an Atlas with a straight face).
    As far as restoration I would clean it up and use it until you find a V way lathe.......a flat way Atlas is better than no lathe but not by much.

Post Thanks / Like

That's an Atlas lathe, looks like a TH model. Mine is a TH1054 (10 inch swing, 54"bed length). I have had mine for about 20 years now, and it has done almost everything I needed it to. If you are careful, and you learn about "your" lathe's quirks, it will be a good investment.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey thanks! I just assumed the bearing only needed to be replaced if there was play in the pulley, but that makes sense. When you say they need a number not dimensions, what number? One stamped on the bearing?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VandelayIndustries View Post
    Hey thanks! I just assumed the bearing only needed to be replaced if there was play in the pulley, but that makes sense. When you say they need a number not dimensions, what number? One stamped on the bearing?
    Yes. She'll know the specification just from that number though you may not get the same number back.

I see by closer examination that what I thought might be a zirk fitting is in fact some sort of clamp. Why it's there I don't know.
    Dan

I hope that when i'm dead and gone, people will remember me and think; "Boy, that guy sure owed me a lot of money!"

Post Thanks / Like

Clean all the grease off the gears on the headstock side of your lathe and re-lubricate with oil instead of grease. Grease is a swarf magnet and will cause premature wear to the machine from the swarf held in suspension by the grease. Buy yourself a quart of way oil, or whatever oil Atlas recommends, and liberally coat all moving parts and the ways.
    Lincoln PrecisionTig 275
    Miller 251
    Miller DialArc 250
    Bridgeport mill
    Hossfeld bender & dies
    Logan shaper
    Jet 14 X 40 lathe
    South Bend 9" 'C'
    Hypertherm 900
    Ellis 3000 band saw
    21"Royersford Excelsior
    Two shops, still too many tools.

Post Thanks / Like

If you can find the manual for the lathe online it will tell you where and with what to lubricate your lathe.
    Lincoln 210 MP
    Harbor Freight Plasma

Post Thanks / Like

Check this out:

http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgindex/detail.aspx?id=222

(I happen to own a Craftsman/Clausing lathe)
    Last edited by cornemuse; 08-19-2015 at 10:09 AM. Reason: feng shui
    What is the sound of one knee jerking?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skyboltone View Post
    Yes. She'll know the specification just from that number though you may not get the same number back.

I see by closer examination that what I thought might be a zirk fitting is in fact some sort of clamp. Why it's there I don't know.
    It is a fitting, not a zirk, but design dot add oil to the bearing. It's not so much a bearing as it is a tiny race/sleeve bearing with a slot for oil to be added, but it doesn't feature any numbers. I've managed to tear it up and had to push it out. Any suggestions on replacing it? I have a couple options from Mc-Mastercar for bronze sleeve bushings, but they're not exact to the measurements I have.

Post Thanks / Like

uh oh. Wow. That's an old motor. I have rebuilt induction repulsion motors from the '30s that had ball bearings. What are the dimensions of the shaft and the "race" or bearing outside diameter? Is it flanged or straight? Most of these old bearings are even fractions of a sort. Nothing to the 10/thousands here.
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like

uh oh. Wow. That's an old motor. I have rebuilt induction repulsion motors from the '30s that had ball bearings. What are the dimensions of the shaft and the "race" or bearing outside diameter? Is it flanged or straight? Most of these old bearings are even fractions of a sort. Nothing to the 10/thousands here.
    The best I could tell is it's a straight .475 ID and .575 OD, but I'm hoping I'm off some how because that's not very common. I have a couple close options from Mc-Mastercarr as they were only a couple bucks I went ahead and ordered them.

Post Thanks / Like

Either one of these sites has loads of info also. Each has a sub-forum on Atlas/Craftsman. http://www.hobby-machinist.com/ http://www.machinistweb.com/forum/

Post Thanks / Like

After you get it all cleaned up I suggest you replace that motor start cap. Probably worth the money for the best startup you can get if it threads from a dead start. By the way...congrats on that purchase regardless of quality. A fine addition. One other thing. It is probably not a good idea to plug that motor. I see it has a mech reversing switch. Might bust a gear since they are pot metal. BTY, "plugging" means reversing that switch without allowing the motor to come to a stop (0 rpm) in case you didn't know. Enjoy!
    Last edited by Seaguy; 08-21-2015 at 09:33 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Now I don't think it was the bearing all along, but the starter. It still, with the motor simply floating on one bearing won't start on it's own. I'm a little in over my head now and need it to start cutting next week. I'm going to break down and simply replace the motor, about $100 for a new motor, but now my question is replace it with a 1/3-hp motor (which is what it has on it already), or a 1/2-hp motor? There's only about a $15 difference.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist