+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I became caretaker of Caterpillar D315 Lincoln 300x2 Twin Arc welding machine today

Post Thanks / Like

Re: I became caretaker of Caterpillar D315 Lincoln 300x2 Twin Arc welding machine tod

Speechless

Post Thanks / Like

Re: I became caretaker of Caterpillar D315 Lincoln 300x2 Twin Arc welding machine tod

SAWEEEET!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

dont give up posting this stuff for us, its all appreciated!!!!!

great work, cant wait to see it all buttoned up
    bosses stuff:
    trailblazer 325
    maxstar 200

my stuff:
    sa 200
    fronius transpocket 180
    100 amp Lincoln w/f
    97 f350 DIT

Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

awesome work!
    AWS CWI xxxx2171
    1968 SA200

Quote Originally Posted by WelderMike
    I hate being bipolar, It's awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZTFab View Post
    Nice work!
    Visit Regulator and Torch Exchange, Inc. for all your cutting and heating needs!

Post Thanks / Like

Mike,
    Any updates?
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Jeff, spent thanksgiving week at my dads in se arkansas, but got tank painted, angle iron frame cleaned up and doing some dri-fitting and welding heavy nuts on. call me when u got a few minutes. that frame 2 the right is 3/4" outa square! [last pic]
    thanks 4 looking.

Post Thanks / Like

This is looking good. Can't wait to see the finished product!

Post Thanks / Like

Power unit fluids drained, power washed and brought into shop. oil pan and valve cover assembly will be removed to desludge. alot tlc will be required to get this in order & repainted. shipping weight of aprox. 2600 lbs, 350 cu. in. thanks 4 looking.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mla2ofus View Post
    . . . Regarding the pony clutch and pinion, if you pull the clutch handle hard opposite of engagement the clutch brake will stop everything from clashing gears and the pinion has to be held in position while cranking and as soon as the main starts, release the pinion handle. . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by wrenchguy View Post
    Pinion brake no worky, thanks though, I'll remove the clutch/brake assembly and see whats up. There r lots of issues with it, but it runs good. I didn't know if it ran when i bought it.
    Nice machine and preservation.
    Thanks for being a good "caretaker" Wrenchguy.

Having watched the video I may be able to shed some light on the starting issue, based on 315 tractor experience.
    Please don't take it wrong, I heard the part about it being only the second start-up so I'm not nitpicking but trying to help.

Anywho. The shorter lever, with its shaft located furthest away from the radiator - that controls starter pinion gear engagement into the flywheel.
    The longer lever, its shaft closer toward the radiator - that's the pony's clutch/brake.

Starting works best with a two-handed technique. While raising the pinion lever to engage the pinion "feel" it into full mesh by slightly jogging the clutch/brake as the pinion is being fully engaged and then the pinion lever remains cocked, so to speak. The pinion lever engagement is all-or-nothing; no in-between, no slipping, no adjustment, nothing to be moved once engaged.

Per above, once the pinion lever holds engaged, push the clutch/brake lever towards the radiator to engage the clutch and begin cranking the main engine. Once the engine starts the pinion lever will kick out, however, the clutch/brake lever needs to be manually returned to the disengaged position. I've skipped fuel and compression release details, that seems handled.

Good luck with it and thanks for the show.
    Last edited by denrep; 12-15-2015 at 11:34 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by denrep View Post
    Nice machine and preservation.
    Thanks for being a good "caretaker" Wrenchguy.

Having watched the video I may be able to shed some light on the starting issue, based on 315 tractor experience.
    Please don't take it wrong,

*I heard the part about it being only the second start-up so I'm not nitpicking but trying to help.*

Good luck with it and thanks for the show.
    Thanks 4 the posting, it must be neat to know how 2 type and spell, i barely got outa high school and only 2/3rds my keyboard wurks. I'm mazed at the wurds per minute u guys can put out!! This is why i like the pics and dun't say much. I been a antique cat and pony motor start fan 4 25 years now, maybe with 700 pony starts under my belt by now. Mentioning "second start-up" meant that machine the 2nd day i had it home, plus after sitting 15 year. With the unit in the shop, i'll tear into the pinion assembly and get the brake right. Thanks again 4 the post. Do u have vintage equipment?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks 4 the posting, it must be neat to know how 2 type and spell, i barely got outa high school and only 2/3rds my keyboard wurks. I'm mazed at the wurds per minute u guys can put out!! This is why i like the pics and dun't say much. I been a antique cat and pony motor start fan 4 25 years now, maybe with 700 pony starts under my belt by now. Mentioning "second start-up" meant that machine the 2nd day i had it home, plus after sitting 15 year. With the unit in the shop, i'll tear into the pinion assembly and get the brake right. Thanks again 4 the post. Do u have vintage equipment?
    The dreaded Yellow Fever that some of us are afflicted with. No cure, the only way to survive is get a fix by dragging home another old Cat. Looking good Mike. I have had mine running a few times and it workd great. I need to put better axles under it and get it painted up. I'll start a post when I get started on it.

Post Thanks / Like

Have to confess the yellow felines are a bit rich for my blood, but I *do* appreciate large diesels. Having spent some time at the wheel of a 1973 Autocar (DD 6-71 with a roadranger)
    Use a bigger hammer.

Post Thanks / Like

hey roger, u man need 2 take care of urself 1st, i read about u at acmoc. let me know if i can help u with some new axles as i have a contact at manufacturer. i think urs weighs 2000 lbs less than mine. good luck and have some safe holidays.

Post Thanks / Like

need some control box face plates, 2each like new needed, p/n m-5735 and m-6434, thanks 4 any help.

control boxes, rebuilt and modified for easy removal.

Post Thanks / Like

Looking good, Looking really good. Is that a double exciter too? I would imagine it has to be

Post Thanks / Like

need some control box face plates, 2each like new needed, p/n m-5735 and m-6434, thanks 4 any help.
    Member here RobertDoubrava had the m-5735 a few years back. He hasn't been around here in a couple of months, but send him a pm and maybe he will see the email notification of a pm and get back to you. Here's a link to his thread with the plates.

http://weldingweb.com/vbb/showthread.php...4909-regulator
    "You can't out puke a buzzard"

Post Thanks / Like

i pm'ed him months ago, no response, thanks 4 searching.

Quote Originally Posted by Pipeliner View Post
    Member here RobertDoubrava had the m-5735 a few years back. He hasn't been around here in a couple of months, but send him a pm and maybe he will see the email notification of a pm and get back to you. Here's a link to his thread with the plates.

http://weldingweb.com/vbb/showthread.php...4909-regulator

Post Thanks / Like

it is oversize, setup for 4 sets of brushes but only 2 sets being used. duane says he thinks the coils are double wound because it has 4 sets of solid leads and 4 sets 14 gauge stranded mw leads. i really dun't have a clue. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    Looking good, Looking really good. Is that a double exciter too? I would imagine it has to be

Post Thanks / Like

Your plates are in pretty fair shape. A local sign / decal shop should be able to touch up the faded spots and reproduce those on vinyl. If you can't source NOS plates of course.
    "You can't out puke a buzzard"

Post Thanks / Like

right, thats what duane and i were talking the other day. the other pair r pretty bad. i'd like to put new on iffen i can. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pipeliner View Post
    Your plates are in pretty fair shape. A local sign / decal shop should be able to touch up the faded spots and reproduce those on vinyl. If you can't source NOS plates of course.

Post Thanks / Like

might be worth a call to stumpf welding supplies for those plates. . . . .
    bosses stuff:
    trailblazer 325
    maxstar 200

my stuff:
    sa 200
    fronius transpocket 180
    100 amp Lincoln w/f
    97 f350 DIT

Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

I live about 70 miles from Stumpf's and have been in their boneyard, very impressive. I'm sure they have them or perhaps new ones. Give them a call

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Steve
    Lincoln IdealArc 250
    Lincoln SA200 1966 Redface
    Steve

Miller Dialarc 250 (1990)
    Miller Maxstar 140 STR (2003)
    Lincoln SA200 Redface Pipeliner (1966)
    Lincoln MP210 (2015)
    Victor and MECO torches

Post Thanks / Like

Very cool! Where in IN are you? I am about 20 min from the state line, around 95th & Cicero area.
    "Where's Stick man????????" - 7A749
    "SHHHHHH!! I sent him over to snag that MIC-4 while tbone wasn't looking!" - duaneb55
    "I have bought a few of Tbone's things unlike Stick-Man who helps himself" - TozziWelding
    "Stick-man"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stick-man View Post
    Very cool! Where in IN are you? I am about 20 min from the state line, around 95th & Cicero area.
    crown point, but east of i-65 4 miles, do u work on older Lincolns / have parts? thank u

Post Thanks / Like

crown point, but east of i-65 4 miles, do u work on older Lincolns / have parts? thank u
    No, not yet. I have an SA-200 I would like to make look half as good as CEP's! My wife's sister's live in Crown Point. Very close to 109th & Randolf. So I get out that way some times. Again, great project you got there!
    "Where's Stick man????????" - 7A749
    "SHHHHHH!! I sent him over to snag that MIC-4 while tbone wasn't looking!" - duaneb55
    "I have bought a few of Tbone's things unlike Stick-Man who helps himself" - TozziWelding
    "Stick-man"

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist