+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I became caretaker of Caterpillar D315 Lincoln 300x2 Twin Arc welding machine today

Post Thanks / Like

I became caretaker of Caterpillar D315 Lincoln 300x2 Twin Arc welding machine today

1953 i believe, gotta ck a lot stuff out b4 trying 2 start. I removed the enclosure 2 get better views. I plan on disconnecting while getting the engine running. Can the welding machine be dated by serial number? Ur comments be welcome, especially the condition of the welder after viewing photos. Where do I find maintenance info 4 this welder? Last run 15 years ago as told owners son.
    Name:  SAM_2911.jpg
Views: 3635
Size:  77.4 KBName:  SAM_2912.jpg
Views: 3703
Size:  87.5 KBName:  SAM_2913.jpg
Views: 3613
Size:  106.4 KB

Name:  SAM_2901.jpg
Views: 3600
Size:  59.8 KBName:  SAM_2902.jpg
Views: 3588
Size:  51.2 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Re: I became caretaker of Caterpillar D315 Lincoln 300x2 Twin Arc welding machine tod

Name:  SAM_2904.jpg
Views: 3499
Size:  51.2 KBName:  SAM_2905.jpg
Views: 3489
Size:  63.1 KBName:  SAM_2915.jpg
Views: 3516
Size:  67.2 KBName:  SAM_2916.jpg
Views: 3458
Size:  60.6 KBName:  SAM_2909.jpg
Views: 3578
Size:  78.8 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Re: I became caretaker of Caterpillar D315 Lincoln 300x2 Twin Arc welding machine tod

more pics
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Post Thanks / Like

That is a fine looking machine you have there! Have you tried the codes on Lincoln's site yet? Some of you will correct me if I am wrong here, but I think I have heard of those units being sold and commonly put on draglines and such which would fit your year model nicely and engine size for the popular smaller machines in the post war building boom. To be sure, you have a treasure there. I would love to see her running.
    SA-250 TMD
    Squarewave 200
    Thunderbolt AC/DC
    1951 G.E. welder

Post Thanks / Like

Thats a big girl.
    AWS CWI xxxx2171
    1968 SA200

Quote Originally Posted by WelderMike
    I hate being bipolar, It's awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZTFab View Post
    Nice work!
    Visit Regulator and Torch Exchange, Inc. for all your cutting and heating needs!

Post Thanks / Like

The serial # shown makes your machine a 1955. That's quite a welder! Looks like it needs a little elbow grease to get it right again. Good luck!
    Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.
    -Cree Indian Proverb

SA 200 Lincoln
    Victor Torches

7. Likes kjemison1966 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't know your age. Are you familiar w/ the operation of the pony motor and especially the operation of the clutch and pinion to make the pony turn the main engine? I worked w/ these type of Cat engines long ago, so if you have questions I'll try to dig deep in my memory banks to get answers.
    Mike
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"
    Hobart G-213 portable
    Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mla2ofus View Post
    Don't know your age. Are you familiar w/ the operation of the pony motor and especially the operation of the clutch and pinion to make the pony turn the main engine? I worked w/ these type of Cat engines long ago, so if you have questions I'll try to dig deep in my memory banks to get answers.
    Mike
    You and me both. I went through a D-318 on a good sized Gardner Denver air compressor about 3 months ago. Been sitting 20 years, but after a considerable amount of TLC she fired right up. The carburetor on the starting engine was the biggest pita, I just made my own gaskets. One warning on these old engines, MAKE SURE THE FUEL PUMP RACK IS NOT STUCK! It's just a habit with me to check for that sort of thing, runaway diesels are not cool.

Post Thanks / Like

When 12V71 mentioned fuel, something came back to me. I see evidence of oil leakage on the injection pump, so unscrew the slot head plug on the bottom of the pump. The oil level should be at the top of the opening and about the consistency of 10 wt. If it's really thin drain it and refill w/ 10 wt. This pump has it's own oil supply so should be checked on a regular basis. If the pump has internal fuel leaks and it runs over when the plug is removed it needs to be drained and refilled.
    Mike
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    Hobart G-213 portable
    Miller 175 mig
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

Post Thanks / Like

With the welding machine disconnected i got the starting and diesel engine running

Post Thanks / Like

That is one cool machine would be just great to weld with good luck with it

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like you're old enough to know most everything about it. Regarding the pony clutch and pinion, if you pull the clutch handle hard opposite of engagement the clutch brake will stop everything from clashing gears and the pinion has to be held in position while cranking and as soon as the main starts, release the pinion handle. At least that's how the 8800's, 342'S and 353's I worked w/ worked. They were all stationary engines we used to power rock crushers.
    Mike
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    Hobart G-213 portable
    Miller 175 mig
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

14. Likes BluCllrPlt liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Time to get the welding system in order now. I hate to see how much fuel this unit burns.
    Jason
    Lincoln Idealarc 250 stick/tig
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Miller Bobcat 250
    Torchmate CNC table
    Thermal Arc Hefty 2
    Ironworkers Local 720

Post Thanks / Like

You just have to love old mechanical diesels. If you have air and fuel, and they turn over, chances are they run.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mla2ofus View Post
    Looks like you're old enough to know most everything about it. Regarding the pony clutch and pinion, if you pull the clutch handle hard opposite of engagement the clutch brake will stop everything from clashing gears and the pinion has to be held in position while cranking and as soon as the main starts, release the pinion handle. At least that's how the 8800's, 342'S and 353's I worked w/ worked. They were all stationary engines we used to power rock crushers.
    Mike
    Pinion brake no worky, thanks though, I'll remove the clutch/brake assembly and see whats up. There r lots of issues with it, but it runs good. I didn't know if it ran when i bought it.
    Last edited by wrenchguy; 08-20-2015 at 09:23 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by snoeproe View Post
    Time to get the welding system in order now. I hate to see how much fuel this unit burns.

How??? i know nothing about the weld machine

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the video! i very much enjoyed it and cant wait to see your progress
    bosses stuff:
    trailblazer 325
    maxstar 200

my stuff:
    sa 200
    fronius transpocket 180
    100 amp Lincoln w/f
    97 f350 DIT

Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

we can help you with the welder part!!!!

not that im a whole lot of help, but i can tell you what the others on here have told me!
    bosses stuff:
    trailblazer 325
    maxstar 200

my stuff:
    sa 200
    fronius transpocket 180
    100 amp Lincoln w/f
    97 f350 DIT

Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 92dlxman View Post
    we can help you with the welder part!!!!

not that im a whole lot of help, but i can tell you what the others on here have told me!
    Its been sitting 15 years and i don't want to mess anything up pertaining the welder, thats why i disconnected it. Should i contact a repair shop and ask where to start?

Post Thanks / Like

Cool video. Thank you very much. I love to see old iron being resurrected. Quite honestly, due to the possible value of the welder portion of that machine I would get a knowledgeable welder guy to look it over in person.

Post Thanks / Like

operation will be very similar to an sa-200, and there is a wealth of information on them.

this will help you get started i hope. they are simple machines.

https://www.weldmart.com/main/techni...eshooting.html
    bosses stuff:
    trailblazer 325
    maxstar 200

my stuff:
    sa 200
    fronius transpocket 180
    100 amp Lincoln w/f
    97 f350 DIT

Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wrenchguy View Post
    Its been sitting 15 years and i don't want to mess anything up pertaining the welder, thats why i disconnected it. Should i contact a repair shop and ask where to start?
    As long as the armature turns freely and the brushes are not stuck in their holders, you should have no issues. I would inspect the insides carefully with a bright flashlight and look for signs of rodent nests or abandoned wasp nests, etc. If rodents got inside it and chewed up wiring, it could be a good piece of work to fix the damage. You may want to inspect and service the brushes and holders. Hit the exciter contact surfaces with a commutator stone to clean them up, reinstall the brushes.

If everything looks good and you can get the armature to turn, go for it. It may weld right from the get go.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so far, i'm learning. I'm concerned about how dirty looking the commutators got when i went 2 inspect it. i was able to turn the engine over a have a half turn 2 see if it was locked up. I noted the armature turned too and the brushes seemed to be leaving a dark residue on the commutator "see photos". I stopped turning the engine by hand at that point. My concerns about the commutators and possible dry armature bearings are the reasons why i disconnected the welder from the engine. Are the armature bearings sealed? Its been sitting a long time. What do i call the welder part of the machine, sa-300x2?

Post Thanks / Like

your welder(s) are sae-300's by the looks of things, with one exciter.

the exciter is foreign to me, but the main generators are pretty generic as far as i know. the difference between sa and sae machines as far as i know is in the coarse or main current control. the sae uses a . . . . .reactor? (cant think of word) that can be set in infinite increments, instead of a 4 or 5 position switch to choose rough operating amperage. the "fine" or "job selector" in your case controls ocv and as a side effect, affects output amperage. it is sourced off the exciter and controls (through a simple rheostat) the amount of juice sent to the shunt coils in the main generator, which decide how much juice the main generator will put out.

exciter has permanent magnets, but they can go "dead". they can be refreshed via the link i sent you. the main generator(s) use electro-magnetism, from the exciter, to generate power. no exciter= no generator.

so the welder part of this machine is very similar to the engine part. there is the main power-source, but it cant work without the pony-motor to get it going (exciter). the pony motor only works if the battery (magnets) is charged and able to start the cycle
    bosses stuff:
    trailblazer 325
    maxstar 200

my stuff:
    sa 200
    fronius transpocket 180
    100 amp Lincoln w/f
    97 f350 DIT

Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

Essentially you just have two SAE 300 welders. The commutator bars can be cleaned up easily with 320 or finer grit sandpaper. It's easier if the brush racks are off and out of the way. The dark residue is just carbon that the brush is made of. On the subject of brushes, your 4th picture shows what appears to be a missing brush and springs. But without knowing how this machine was originally configured I can't say for sure. I wouldn't be immediately concerned with the bearing(s). If it turns, I'd leave them alone until you verify it will even weld. I'd venture to say the brushes need to be removed and the holders cleaned up so they will slide in and out. There's a real possibility you will need to flash the fields to make it weld if it has sat for an extended period of time.

Getting ahead of things though. Let's dig in on that missing brush or is this correct for the twin setup?

Well dang, 92 above beat me by 3 minutes.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist