Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forged bottle openers.

Post Thanks / Like

Forged bottle openers.

I told BD1 I'd do a thread on the bottle openers I was making at the Grange Fair, so here it is. There are a number of different designs on how to do this and I'm going to eventually try several different styles. For now I'll do a basic step by step on how I do the basic punch and drifted openers. This will take a few posts.

I like to work with long stock in the forge if possible and then cut the piece off near the end so I don't have to mess with tongs any more than I have to. This one is made from 1" x 1/4" flat, but I've seen other stock used as well.

1st thing I do is knock in the corners on the bar. Some guys like to drift 1st, then knock in the corners later on the horn, but I have trouble right now keeping the ring even and symmetrical if I do it that way.

Name:  DSCN5030a.JPG
Views: 1974
Size:  34.1 KB

After knocking in the corners, I hot punch the hole trying to keep it centered from both the sides and the end.

Name:  DSCN5032a.JPG
Views: 1958
Size:  37.4 KB

Next I start drifting the hole larger. It's important to make sure the piece is evenly heated or the piece will "drift" towards the hotter side. You can use this to help recenter an of center hole slightly, but you need to do it as soon as you can as it gets harder and harder to correct as you go along. If you need to get the hole to shift one way, cool the opposite side and it will tend to move towards the hotter side as that stretches more. Drift used is simply a piece of 1/2" mild steel tapered to a long point on one end and tapered to a short flat on the other so if the end mushrooms some, it will still push thru the drifted hole. I drive the drift thru using the pritchel hole on the anvil.

Name:  DSCN5033a.JPG
Views: 1943
Size:  35.5 KB

Next I go up to my big drift. It's a piece of 1" mild steel. Again with a long side used to drift, and a short taper so if I mess up the driving end it still will go thru. I only drift part way thru at this point. that lets me use the drift later to clean up things without going too big. For this I used the 1" round hole on my swage block since the hardy hole on the anvil I'm using is 1 1/2" and it distorts too much it I drive it thru there. Eventually I'll get around to grabbing some 3/8" or thicker plate and drilling a 1" hole thru it, so I can use it over the hardy hole on the big anvil. On my small anvil where the hardy hole is 1", it's not as bad as far as distortion is concerned, but you do have to make sure you change sides each time you drift. That's a good idea anyways, but with the square hardy, it gets ugly in the back if you don't flip it over each time around.

Name:  DSCN5036a.JPG
Views: 1953
Size:  37.1 KB

Next I neck down the area behind the punched hole. I use my fullering tool, but you can use the edge of the anvil to do the same thing, or top and bottom fullers in a hardy hole, or a spring fuller. Of course you can skip this if you want. it's just aesthetics.

Name:  DSCN5037a.JPG
Views: 1925
Size:  28.8 KB

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Forged bottle openers.

Next I flatten out the distortion from fullering and redrift to clean it up and continue fullering as needed.

Name:  DSCN5038a.JPG
Views: 1843
Size:  35.2 KB

After I have it fullered as deep as I want it, I'll drift to my final dimention. Usually just under 1".

Name:  DSCN5039a.JPG
Views: 1829
Size:  34.5 KB

Next I use either the horn or the face of the anvil to neck down the area behind the fullered section until the stock matches that section and tapers to the back.

Name:  DSCN5041a.JPG
Views: 1863
Size:  37.2 KB

Next I use either a ball punch or the back of a ball peen hammer to push out the area where the opener will fit under the lip. Usually I start back a slight distance from the edge and then try to "push" the material in front of the ball peen to create the lip. I use a brass hammer to hit the face of the ball peen so I don't mess up the face of my ball peen hammer.

Then I'll cut off the opener and clean up the end. I'll also put some curve to the open end so the end is higher than the lip is, and the handle has a nice comfortable curve to it.

Name:  DSCN5042a.JPG
Views: 1857
Size:  37.4 KB

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

Lastly I'll wire brush the opener, clean up any sharps with a sander/grinder/file, and then coat it with something like poly or wax to protect it.

Shown are the two I was working on today. Both have a few imperfections I want to work on improving, but with something hand forged, those imperfections often add to the look and charm of the piece. MAny times I'll have people more interested in the "ugly" ones than they are in the really clean ones because it shows it was hand made better.

Name:  DSCN5045a.JPG
Views: 1828
Size:  36.6 KB

Name:  DSCN5044a.JPG
Views: 1851
Size:  36.9 KB

Name:  DSCN5043a.JPG
Views: 1828
Size:  38.3 KB

Tomorrow after work I want to do a horse shoe opener and one from a railroad spike using the same basic steps as above. If I have time I'll also work on a wall mounted opener and a "claw" style opener. That one I still have to work out some of the details on how to do them best, so those might take a bit until I can post the claw ones. After that, animal head ones are on the list, but those I know will take me a long time to do as I haven't done heads yet. There's also one style done by twisting round stock to form the ring, then treating it the way the drifted ones are. That's also on the list at some point. I have a whole file I've been collecting on different bottle openers. They seem to sell well, so I'm going to try and go to the next demo with as many different style/types as I can.

Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

Doug,

Great tip there on rounding the corner of the bar first!

I've been making lots of the ring-type openers, but never rounded the corner first. It was always a pain to try to get the pointy corner on the end rounded off on the horn like some folks do. I'd rather round first like your example...gotta try it soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh for those who might have missed it, that's a 1" hole thru 1" stock. Try that with a drill bit.... If I slit it and upset it 1st vs punching a hole, I could push an even bigger drift thru the 1" bar if I wanted to. I may have to do a demo of that in another thread and see how big I can go.

Oh, I meant to mention earlier, a "cheat" is to drill the hole in the bar to start out vs punch it like I did. Nice thing is this lets you easily get the hole exactly where you want. I suggest that to those just starting out and working by yourself. Don't go too large on the drilled hole as you need the stock on the sides when you go to stretch the material later. I wouldn't go much bigger than a 1/4" drill. That's about the diameter of the punch I'm using.

Shortfuse, feel free to add any of your openers you make to the thread.

Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

Nice and thanks. You are right , sometimes the ugly ones get picked first, just ask my wife. Me being the ugly one.

Post Thanks / Like

I hope you and your son get a chance to try one and you post it up here as well.

Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DSW View Post
    Oh for those who might have missed it, that's a 1" hole thru 1" stock. Try that with a drill bit.... If I slit it and upset it 1st vs punching a hole, I could push an even bigger drift thru the 1" bar if I wanted to. I may have to do a demo of that in another thread and see how big I can go.
    Its funny how many people don't get that aspect of the punch vs drill a hole debate
    Thanks for the great pics.

Post Thanks / Like

A good way to avoid drilling and still keep your punch hole centered: Have a punch with a pointed end, angled sorta like a drill bit. Center punch your stock deep enough to see it with forging heat, start the punch with the pointed punch instead. Drift when needed.

Post Thanks / Like

Doug,

Here are a few openers I had pictures of; I've made several other types but just never took pics.....

Those guys over on IFI make some really beautiful openers, wish I could get that good. Most of mine go on the sale table for demos and to give away to friends.

Name:  Bottle opener & punch.jpg
Views: 1625
Size:  95.6 KBName:  Bottle opener from bolt.jpg
Views: 1621
Size:  30.6 KBName:  Bottle opener with coil 02.jpg
Views: 1622
Size:  65.0 KBName:  Bottle opener with coil 03.jpg
Views: 1618
Size:  65.2 KBName:  Bottle opener with pineapple twist.jpg
Views: 1643
Size:  31.2 KB

Post Thanks / Like

One more, only 5 uploads allowed.

Name:  Bottle openers.jpg
Views: 1610
Size:  39.2 KB

Post Thanks / Like

I think they look great. There's a few there I haven't seen before. I'm adding them to my pict file on openers. Are you slit punching, then drifting the drifted ones?

Wrench one is a bit different than some I've seen. I'm not a big fan of messing up nice tools, but I've thought about grabbing a few HF wrenches just to make a few openers. They probably would do well with the mechanic crowd. Week after my next demo, another municipality has a flea market/ car show. If I'm not working, I thought about trying to get a table. Wrench stuff would probably sell well. I just wish it was a bit farther away than the next weekend. I've got 3 decent sized weekend jobs coming up so I may not be able to fit a flea market in that weekend.

Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

I think they look great. There's a few there I haven't seen before. I'm adding them to my pict file on openers. Are you slit punching, then drifting the drifted ones?

Wrench one is a bit different than some I've seen. I'm not a big fan of messing up nice tools, but I've thought about grabbing a few HF wrenches just to make a few openers. They probably would do well with the mechanic crowd. Week after my next demo, another municipality has a flea market/ car show. If I'm not working, I thought about trying to get a table. Wrench stuff would probably sell well. I just wish it was a bit farther away than the next weekend. I've got 3 decent sized weekend jobs coming up so I may not be able to fit a flea market in that weekend.

Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

Nice work Doug.
    "Discovery is to see what everybody else has seen, and to think what nobody else has thought" - Albert Szent-Gyorgyi

Post Thanks / Like

The ring type openers were all slit punch and round drifted...I don't like that. I'm going to try your round punch & round drift. I get the end/combo wrenches at the flea market table, a buck apiece. The pictured one is too small...need to use at least a 1/2" or larger.

Post Thanks / Like

I need rain to come so I can forge without setting this side of the state on fire to match the other side.

I've made a couple really rough openers.
    There are no problems. There are only solutions. It's your duty to determine the right one.

Hobart Handler 210
    Airco 225 Amp MSM Stinger

Post Thanks / Like

A few more from today since I got done early and had some time to play a bit.

I managed to get these three done, and got the ring done on a 4th one that will end up being a wall mounted one. Maybe tomorrow I'll have time again to do something on that one.

Name:  DSCN5046a.JPG
Views: 1411
Size:  30.3 KB

Name:  DSCN5048a.JPG
Views: 1416
Size:  30.9 KB

Name:  DSCN5049a.JPG
Views: 1402
Size:  33.3 KB

Name:  DSCN5050a.JPG
Views: 1418
Size:  31.0 KB

Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome work! I love the look of these hand forged tools!
    Check out my channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkz...bZg8AYNXGqBjZQ

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms." - Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like

New wall mounted opener I've been working on.

Name:  DSCN5085.jpg
Views: 1092
Size:  19.5 KB

Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

These are cool

But if you guys keep this up I'll have to start forging too....then I'll need to build another building...could eventually be considered "getting out of hand"
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaDave View Post
    These are cool

But if you guys keep this up I'll have to start forging too....then I'll need to build another building...could eventually be considered "getting out of hand"
    I'm with Dave, this could become another bad habit !

Post Thanks / Like

Nice bottle openers, Doug. I haven't made one with a horseshoe yet...next on the list.

Post Thanks / Like

Doug, I tried your technique of using a round punch and drifting the hole as opposed to the slit and round drift commonly used. Did it on a half-horseshoe...worked great! Round opening was much easier to control. No need to post a photo, looks like the third one down in your above pictures, only flat, not curved. Will use that method from here on, thanks for posting the way!

Post Thanks / Like

Glad it helped you out.

The advantage of slitting and drifting is that you can punch larger holes in smaller stock. This would let you say put a 1" hole in 1/2" wide flat stock. Something that wouldn't work round punching easily, especially if you wanted to keep decent material on the sides. If you slit and drift, it often helps to upset the hole after you slit. That helps start the round opening so you aren't trying to thin the sides as you drift.

I have a whole pile of different ideas saved up to eventually try for openers. I may start simply posting up the ideas so others can look at them and get inspired.

Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe the reason my slit-and-drift was less than satisfactory is that I was not upsetting the slit. Gotta try that next. See, you CAN teach an old dog new tricks!! You've given me two good ideas on the openers...thanks.