Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: P&H Welder: Troubleshooting an Inop Older Welder?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: P&H Welder: Troubleshooting an Inop Older Welder?

old machines used city water to cool the torch. ran it down the drain.
    So the water valve and gas valves were wired together.
    When using a cooler, do not use the water valve on any tig welder.
    Stopping the water flow can over heat and damage the procon pump.

Post Thanks / Like

I also own a P&H DAR 300 HFGW. I have used it as a stick welder (never TIG for about 30 years and yesterday the DC quit working. The AC works ok but when selecting DC straight or reversed polarity, There is no power at the electrode and the ground lead draws a lot of current when connected to a steel welding table. The return current must be going through the power cord ground as it gets quite warm.

I am in need of a schematic as I suspect something has happened to part of the multi section Selenium rectifier stack.
    I would be happy to pay a fair price for the documentation. The ARMY tech manual is for a more modern machine is not helpful.

Thanks in advance

Dale R Johnson
    dale@drjcosales.com
    972 342 7726

Post Thanks / Like

I got one of these too. But BIGGER! Mines a 500 Amp. Are you getting or trying to get amperage from your torch attached to the gas out port?That only supplies gas. (on mine anyway) You need the adapter ring to connect the stinger to. Your amperage will come from the positive lead as if you were stick welding. Scratch start or turn your HF to start and get it close. mine will throw some small sparks for a second or two and then ignite the ark. It's probably easier to start with higher amperage but much harder to control. (I burnt through 1/4 inch plate in about 2 seconds cranked up to high...) (maybe it was only 3/16.) I only have about 10 minutes of experience doing this so don't take what I say as gospel, I'm just telling it as I see it. Oh and i don't have a pedal set up yet. I only have a finger dial switch that seems to basically be an on off switch for whatever I have dialed in.

Post Thanks / Like

I am in need of a schematic as I suspect something has happened to part of the multi section Selenium rectifier stack.
    I would be happy to pay a fair price for the documentation. The ARMY tech manual is for a more modern machine is not helpful.

Thanks in advance

Dale R Johnson
    dale@drjcosales.com
    972 342 7726[/QUOTE]

Sorry Dale, no dice here,gut I wanted to say that what you are saying sounds correct. Can't you just check for continuity between the diodes? you have it going one way and not at all with the leads reversed. So if you have one section that goes both ways or more likely is just an open circuit you found your problem! Or something that needed replacing anyway...