+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 200 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: Scrap metal art or projects

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Scrap metal art or projects

Another option is to make it look like the center of the auger is the stalk of a large flower and mount the fan facing you. Maybe add some leaves so the screw part of the auger looks like ivy.
    Feel free to let me know if I am bothering you with the input. Once my brain starts with ideas it takes a while to settle down

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    Arclight Dynamics 4x8 plasma table
    www.psacustomcreations.com

Post Thanks / Like

A couple of other little projects I've got going.

Mock up of an 84 ball stack of .50 lead balls so I can get some dimensions for making a metal "monkey" for it.

Name:  fmo clean up 006.jpg
Views: 2394
Size:  79.0 KB

Some more metal cubes. And I've got some ideas for some things that will probably have some good appeal to the "zombie apocalypse" prepper crowd.

Name:  projects 002.jpg
Views: 2397
Size:  65.2 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by psacustomcreations View Post
    Another option is to make it look like the center of the auger is the stalk of a large flower and mount the fan facing you. Maybe add some leaves so the screw part of the auger looks like ivy.
    Feel free to let me know if I am bothering you with the input. Once my brain starts with ideas it takes a while to settle down

psa,

Not at all. In fact you've been providing me with some great inspiration and motivation.

Post Thanks / Like

Spent a couple hours fish'n yesterday afternoon. Caught these two guys.

Name:  Fish 005.jpg
Views: 2216
Size:  34.4 KB

5. Likes William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Very nice. I can see them selling easily

Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe

Post Thanks / Like

Nice work Fire Marshall - I have a few of those arch's as well.

I used some for teeth on a grapple fork last night. The grapple fork will never been seen here...except if someone takes pictures for the welding fail thread...too much help from my Farmer Father-in-law!

Post Thanks / Like

Ohhh.... nice and shiny fishes. Very nice. Yes, those will sell well.... if you're going to sell them.
    MM 211
    Smith Tru Lite O/A set, Thanks Bob!
    Lincoln AC-225
    --
    But you must not change one thing, one pebble, one grain of sand, until you know what good and evil will follow on that act. The world is in balance, in Equilibrium- Ursula K. Le Guin

Post Thanks / Like

During a local equipment auction I picked up 20 of these discs that are about 2 inches in diameter, 1 inch thick and they had a 1/4 inch hole in the center. I have been thinking of making a welders third hand and knew these would be perfect for my idea. I wanted them to be adjustable and slide up and down the long arm.

I added some silicon bronze to the tips of the feet. Once I use this for a while I wil see if I need to make any adjustments to the design.

Name:  20160824_140719.jpg
Views: 2134
Size:  56.4 KB

Name:  20160824_140456.jpg
Views: 2128
Size:  28.8 KB
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe

Post Thanks / Like

Web from scrap left over from other projects. Spider was new and is cast iron. It's for Halloween.... last year's project didn't go over so well with trick or treaters so I thought I'd tone down the decorations a bit. I'll hang it in the upper left hand corner of a garage door.
    --

Name:  spider web 006.JPG
Views: 2295
Size:  133.3 KB

--

Name:  spider web  005.JPG
Views: 2257
Size:  67.3 KB

--
    psa> that's nice. There's a thread somewhere for third arms. You should add it to that thread too.
    MM 211
    Lincoln AC-225
    --
    But you must not change one thing, one pebble, one grain of sand, until you know what good and evil will follow on that act. The world is in balance, in Equilibrium- Ursula K. Le Guin

11. Likes William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The Web is a perfect size for the spider and it looks great

Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe

Post Thanks / Like

I played with lengths of angle iron, 3/8" rod, and the cast iron spider figuring out exactly how large to make it. I'm thinking too much time goes into the actual web for anyone who welds to sell a copy at craft fairs though since the radius on the 1/4" rod used for the capture spirals had to be bent by hand before being measured then cut. Here's where anyone interested could buy the spider, http://www.ebay.com/itm/Large-Cast-I...-/291299218521
    --
    Here's an end table I've started working on made from bicycle chains that were getting scrapped-
    --

Name:  bicycle chain table 001.JPG
Views: 2484
Size:  104.7 KB

--

Name:  bicycle chain table 002.JPG
Views: 2262
Size:  126.3 KB

--

Name:  bicycle chain table 004.JPG
Views: 2462
Size:  111.6 KB

--
    Frame goes together in a jiffy with good corner clamps. One would need to fiddle around arranging the chains for 2-3 hours because they like to pop out and move around a lot and of course most people want some sort of a contrast between the chains they're using. After that, it's tacking here there and everywhere which will only take a few more hours. Really looking forward to being able to flip it over to see the surface after all the tack welding is finished. I could see these selling well. Material costs are next to nothing if one can pick up broken chains and not too many hours into fabrication of the table itself. I'm going to gather up more chains and make another end table to match so one of our kids can have a set. Still deliberating over what style of under shelf for magazines and such to add to the chain table.
    MM 211
    Lincoln AC-225
    --

Post Thanks / Like

That style of design would sell great to a biker bar
    Tiger Sales: AHP Distributor www.tigersalesco.com
    AHP200x; AHP 160ST; MM350P, Spoolmatic 30A; Everlast PowerTig 185; Thermal Dynamics 60i plasma.
    For Sale: Cobra Mig 250 w/ Push-pull gun. Lincoln Wirematic 250

Post Thanks / Like

While there was no welding today, I sand blasted this design into the benches we use for our hard hat divers. The bench is aluminum and I covered the bench with blue painters tape and used carbon paper to trace out the design. I used a razor to cut out the portions to be blasted and then put it in the cabinet. I have coarse coal slag in the cabinet and that gives a nice but light texture to it.
    You could even go back and tape out other areas using different abrasives to add in shading. These are going to have weight belts, scuba tanks, and other equipment put on them so I wasn't going to invest too much time into them. I have used this technique on glass and wood as well several years ago and wanted to try out a new technique at work.

For those on here with a blast cabinet you can try this technique to add another little twist to your art work

Name:  DSCF0984.jpg
Views: 2020
Size:  35.2 KB
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe

Post Thanks / Like

A welding table I made out of scrap except for the slats

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I did this with a stainless counter top once and while the customer liked the effect, I wasn't happy with it. I was using regular old masking tape though, does the painters tape provide more protection? I'm not a skilled sand blaster by any stretch of the imagination, so it could have been that, but I noticed that when blasting the tape would peel back a bit. How'd you prevent that and get such a sharp line? Could you provide some close ups of the work?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 5th Street Fab View Post
    A welding table I made out of scrap except for the slats

I'm looking to do the same build actually. How thick are your slats and is there any fear that the bolts will bend if you have the need to smack something around?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WheaticusRex View Post
    I'm looking to do the same build actually. How thick are your slats and is there any fear that the bolts will bend if you have the need to smack something around?
    My slats are only 5×3/8 it's all they had at the time. I used 5/16 bolts. If I had to do it again I would get 5x1/2 and 3/8 bolts. I haven't had any bolts bend and I've smacked it around pretty good a few times. I have had nuts back off though so use lock washers. But I love this table much better than any other table I had at work

Post Thanks / Like

My slats are only 5×3/8 it's all they had at the time. I used 5/16 bolts. If I had to do it again I would get 5x1/2 and 3/8 bolts. I haven't had any bolts bend and I've smacked it around pretty good a few times. I have had nuts back off though so use lock washers. But I love this table much better than any other table I had at work

Thanks for the response. 3/8's isn't bad in my humble opinion. How's your bolt set up working? I can't quite wrap my head around it. In my build I was going to weld the bold head to the slats and then use two nuts on the top and bottom of the frame in order to adjust it being level but also keep it locked into place. Are you doing the same thing? I can't tell from the pictures. And I apologize, I'm an absolute noob when it comes to slat built tables. I've only ever worked on solid plate tables.

I'm doing my build because I don't have a means of getting a 4x3 1/2" plate into my work shop but can do it by using slats.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the response. 3/8's isn't bad in my humble opinion. How's your bolt set up working? I can't quite wrap my head around it. In my build I was going to weld the bold head to the slats and then use two nuts on the top and bottom of the frame in order to adjust it being level but also keep it locked into place. Are you doing the same thing? I can't tell from the pictures. And I apologize, I'm an absolute noob when it comes to slat built tables. I've only ever worked on solid plate tables.

I'm doing my build because I don't have a means of getting a 4x3 1/2" plate into my work shop but can do it by using slats.
    Yes that's exactly how I did mine. The best part is being able clamp anywhere on the table

Post Thanks / Like

Yes that's exactly how I did mine. The best part is being able clamp anywhere on the table

Thanks, glad I wasn't missing something obvious. Hope the table serves you well.

Post Thanks / Like

I did this with a stainless counter top once and while the customer liked the effect, I wasn't happy with it. I was using regular old masking tape though, does the painters tape provide more protection? I'm not a skilled sand blaster by any stretch of the imagination, so it could have been that, but I noticed that when blasting the tape would peel back a bit. How'd you prevent that and get such a sharp line? Could you provide some close ups of the work?

Thanks
    This is a dime next to what would be the side block on the helmet.

I used masking tape years ago and had the same problem occasionally. The painters tape holds up well when blasting. I have found now that after blasting, the painters tape is harder to remove from the object in the areas where the media hits it. Most likely because it is pressing it harder against the object. I keep the pressure at about 100-125 psi, hold the gun about 10-12 inches away, and sometimes blast in 1 second bursts. Keep the gun perpendicular to the object so the media is not trying to get under the edge of the tape.

Using these techniques I have been able to have very small pieces of tape left intact. To me one of the important things to remember is this is a different technique that blasting to strip paint and rust from an object. When doing stripping or cleaning, you want to be aggressive and sometimes hold the gun in the same spot for a while.

For these designs, I am only etching so it is actually kind of hard to see the etching from some angles. The designs show up best here when I use the flash on the camera. In the second pic I did not use the flash.

Name:  DSCF0985.jpg
Views: 1995
Size:  55.8 KBName:  DSCF0986.jpg
Views: 1960
Size:  29.2 KB
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by psacustomcreations View Post
    This is a dime next to what would be the side block on the helmet.

I used masking tape years ago and had the same problem occasionally. The painters tape holds up well when blasting. I have found now that after blasting, the painters tape is harder to remove from the object in the areas where the media hits it. Most likely because it is pressing it harder against the object. I keep the pressure at about 100-125 psi, hold the gun about 10-12 inches away, and sometimes blast in 1 second bursts. Keep the gun perpendicular to the object so the media is not trying to get under the edge of the tape.

Using these techniques I have been able to have very small pieces of tape left intact. To me one of the important things to remember is this is a different technique that blasting to strip paint and rust from an object. When doing stripping or cleaning, you want to be aggressive and sometimes hold the gun in the same spot for a while.

For these designs, I am only etching so it is actually kind of hard to see the etching from some angles. The designs show up best here when I use the flash on the camera. In the second pic I did not use the flash.

Name:  DSCF0985.jpg
Views: 1995
Size:  55.8 KBName:  DSCF0986.jpg
Views: 1960
Size:  29.2 KB
    psa,

That hat etched onto that aluminum is really nice. I'd heard of using sandblasting to etch designs on glass before but hadn't thought of using it on aluminum.

In another post on the subject you mentioned using different media to get different shadings. Have you tried just using different pressures with the same media? Usually when I blast aluminum (for clean up purposes) I turn the pressure down to around 30 psi so it's not so aggressive.

Post Thanks / Like

@ psacustomcreations - nice bro. If you're experimenting with increased depth of etching {profiling}, considers the media summary table shown. Note the "surface profiling (etch)" row in the table.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "Discovery is to see what everybody else has seen, and to think what nobody else has thought" - Albert Szent-Gyorgyi

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
    I played with lengths of angle iron, 3/8" rod, and the cast iron spider figuring out exactly how large to make it. I'm thinking too much time goes into the actual web for anyone who welds to sell a copy at craft fairs though since the radius on the 1/4" rod used for the capture spirals had to be bent by hand before being measured then cut. Here's where anyone interested could buy the spider, http://www.ebay.com/itm/Large-Cast-I...-/291299218521
    --
    Here's an end table I've started working on made from bicycle chains that were getting scrapped-
    --

--

--

--
    Frame goes together in a jiffy with good corner clamps. One would need to fiddle around arranging the chains for 2-3 hours because they like to pop out and move around a lot and of course most people want some sort of a contrast between the chains they're using. After that, it's tacking here there and everywhere which will only take a few more hours. Really looking forward to being able to flip it over to see the surface after all the tack welding is finished. I could see these selling well. Material costs are next to nothing if one can pick up broken chains and not too many hours into fabrication of the table itself. I'm going to gather up more chains and make another end table to match so one of our kids can have a set. Still deliberating over what style of under shelf for magazines and such to add to the chain table.
    Eq,

That's looking like it's coming along nicely. Can't wait to see the finished pictures. One suggestion I'd have if you build another one would be to use square tube instead of angle iron for the frame and legs. It's just so much easier to work with and IMO looks classier.

Any way I've been looking at some of my roller chain and trying to figure out how best to use it. Was thinking of using this plow disc as a form to make a nice round circle out of some of it. Wasn't sure what I was going to do with it but now I'm seeing it (thanks to you) as the top frame of a round table. Possibly with three legs also made out of chain.

Name:  Fish 002.jpg
Views: 1935
Size:  65.9 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
    --
    --

--

--

--
    EQ,

As another option with so many colored chains, you could also use them to make it look like a river or stream. The darker chains being the rocks or river banks. The light chain could be the shallow water or like a set of rapids.

I can also see making the shape of mountains, a sun or even trees with so many colors.
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist