+ Reply to Thread
Page 101 of 200 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103111151 ... LastLast
Results 2,501 to 2,525 of 4985

Thread: Scrap metal art or projects

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Scrap metal art or projects

I can see a clock being more practical, and if doesn't sell as it is - I may go ahead and submit - but it's ART maaaaaann!
    Yeswelder MIG-205DS
    (3) Angle Grinders at the Ready
    Just a hobbyist trying to improve

2. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shootr View Post
    I can see a clock being more practical, and if doesn't sell as it is - I may go ahead and submit - but it's ART maaaaaann!
    What would you price it as an art piece or sculpture?
    What would you price it as a clock?
    I have an idea of my prices, but am curious of your thoughts.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    Arclight Dynamics 4x8 plasma table
    www.psacustomcreations.com

4. Likes Shootr, ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

PSAcustomcreations
    this thread has been very inspiring to me, so much so I'm getting out of some of the gym equipment and moving into art/furniture.
    Lis2323 you too have been a gem.
    Shootr I love the build it gave me some ideas

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by psacustomcreations View Post

I really try to eliminate the emotional part of making the piece (creator complex lol?) when I take a stab at pricing stuff. In a gallery or having some kind of recognition - I can't see it going for less that $300 as an art piece. As a post on local sales sites, I'll be lucky to see $150 (as a clock or a sculpture). I'm starting to put a website together to at least give the illusion I am a creator.

Name:  20210119-104445-01.jpg
Views: 764
Size:  283.5 KB

Name:  20210119-105702-01.jpg
Views: 770
Size:  134.6 KB

Name:  20210119-105721-01.jpg
Views: 784
Size:  171.8 KB

The bar table is down to $175 and I still have yet to have a single inquiry on it.
    Yeswelder MIG-205DS

7. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Scrap metal art or projects

Name:  20210119-105721-01.jpg
Views: 784
Size:  171.8 KB

The bottom photo is an extremely cool perspective IMO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

9. Likes Shootr, ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Reebz View Post
    PSAcustomcreations
    this thread has been very inspiring to me, so much so I'm getting out of some of the gym equipment and moving into art/furniture.
    Lis2323 you too have been a gem.
    Shootr I love the build it gave me some ideas
    Thank you for the kind words.
    Here are a few questions I would throw out for you to think about.
    Are you looking at crafts or more towards fine art?
    Each has a market and can be financially rewarding. Look at the beginning of this thread versus now for my changes in style and growth.
    Where and how will you sell? This is a different set of customers compared to gym equipment and comes with its own set of challenges. Especially with lock downs, art show or festival cancellations.
    I assume you are set up to receive various forms of payment and have a business license. If not, it is a good idea to get one. You will be in the public sphere and it is easy to track you and get in a jam.
    Pricing of work is a whole other long conversation, if not multiple conversations. Feel free to reach out to me with any questions. I may not have the answers, but am always will to help.
    I tried to offer some advice throughout this thread. That may still be valid, but in this strange new world, you will need to be flexible and responsive.
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe

11. Likes Shootr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you. I have questions and will post on this thread or via PM. The gym sales where all by word of mouth and I did it for years. Too little profit, too much time, and little reward. People love what I made and that felt good but it was simply not satisfying. I will still make weird stuff but few squat racks. I imagine crafts, furniture, yard art maybe try fine art. Plus I love bead rolling. I will get back to you soon.
    Last edited by Reebz; 01-19-2021 at 06:38 PM.

13. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Reebz View Post
    Thank you. I have questions and will post on this thread or via PM. The gym sales where all by word of mouth and I did it for years. Too little profit, too much time, and little reward. People love what I made and that felt good but it was simply not satisfying. I will still make weird stuff but few squat racks. I imagine crafts, furniture, yard art maybe try fine art. Plus I love bead rolling. I will get back to you soon.
    PM just sent Reebz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    :

15. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A friend of mine (who is not in the Army) has a young son that loves playing Army and for some reason is enamored with the Higgins Boats or landing crafts of WW2. She had bought him a plastic one from Amazon, but were disappointed. I was asked to make a better version.
    My hat is off to fine detail sculptors and artists like Richard Ferguson and PatriceL who used to post here. Small stuff like this is difficult for me.
    I bought the same cheap one from Amazon and used that as a template.

Name:  20210120_172328.jpg
Views: 708
Size:  74.1 KB

Name:  20210119_130538.jpg
Views: 708
Size:  54.6 KB

Name:  20210119_121047.jpg
Views: 737
Size:  90.8 KB

Name:  20210120_155713.jpg
Views: 717
Size:  66.5 KB
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe

17. Likes AlabamaJoe, Shootr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A few more pics.
    I was trying to make it so it floated, so the rear area, are below the main deck and then the square next to where the pilot stands are hollow and sealed by welding both the inside and outside of the seams. It kind of floats.

Name:  20210120_155726.jpg
Views: 722
Size:  79.7 KB

Name:  20210120_155810.jpg
Views: 727
Size:  70.2 KB
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe

19. Likes bead-boy, Shootr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That will be his pride and joy showing it to others. But should have made it big enough for the kid to sit in. With pedals connected to a prop. Then the kid would REALLY be impressed
    Last edited by bead-boy; 01-20-2021 at 07:40 PM.
    Century buzzbox that I learned on 40+ years ago (was Dad's)
    Crappy Century 110volt mig 70 amp pigeon pooper.
    Lincoln Idealarc TIG-300

21. Likes psacustomcreations liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That is very very cool and you should be proud. Helping a kid.

23. Likes psacustomcreations liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I really try to eliminate the emotional part of making the piece (creator complex lol?) when I take a stab at pricing stuff. In a gallery or having some kind of recognition - I can't see it going for less that $300 as an art piece. As a post on local sales sites, I'll be lucky to see $150 (as a clock or a sculpture). I'm starting to put a website together to at least give the illusion I am a creator.

The bar table is down to $175 and I still have yet to have a single inquiry on it.

I didn't know if you saw my response regarding my pricing estimations and expectations. Do you think I'm in the ballpark or a little too proud of what I've done so far lol? About all I base my guesses on is from what I see in local galleries, art fairs - stuff like that. How much skill and craftsmanship some things must take vs. other pieces I see that I know I could produce - but with price tags that make me roll my eyes.

I'm not trying to make a living making the stuff I make - it's like all those projects I did in school, brought home, then mom had to figure out where to put another ceramic turtle! I'm afraid my house/yard will become one of those over-crowded exhibitions that crazy old people seem to have.

I'd be happy to recoup what I have into them, which is rarely very much. The bar table was about $50, the latest piece was $35 for the cymbal, the rest is junk. I try to heed your advice, not price my stuff like I don't value it, but I also get the feeling sometimes I'm not realistic in what others would value it at.

Anyways, wanted to get your feedback on the answers to your questions. Thanks man.
    Yeswelder MIG-205DS

Post Thanks / Like

A wood heater i build for a friend.
    Name:  20210118_213035.jpg
Views: 709
Size:  138.7 KB
    Lincoln 350mp
    miller regency
    miller syncro wave 300

26. Likes psacustomcreations, whtbaron, ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I didn't know if you saw my response regarding my pricing estimations and expectations. Do you think I'm in the ballpark or a little too proud of what I've done so far lol? About all I base my guesses on is from what I see in local galleries, art fairs - stuff like that. How much skill and craftsmanship some things must take vs. other pieces I see that I know I could produce - but with price tags that make me roll my eyes.

I'm not trying to make a living making the stuff I make - it's like all those projects I did in school, brought home, then mom had to figure out where to put another ceramic turtle! I'm afraid my house/yard will become one of those over-crowded exhibitions that crazy old people seem to have.

I'd be happy to recoup what I have into them, which is rarely very much. The bar table was about $50, the latest piece was $35 for the cymbal, the rest is junk. I try to heed your advice, not price my stuff like I don't value it, but I also get the feeling sometimes I'm not realistic in what others would value it at.

Anyways, wanted to get your feedback on the answers to your questions. Thanks man.
    I was holding off on commenting because I was trying to think about both items. I will try to be honest since I expect others to do the same for my work. I know some of my pieces work or look complete and also know that sometimes, they do not. Stepping away from them a bit or outside help or advice is needed to make them pop.

Bar Table - The offset piece of glass does not do it for me. Something about that piece of glass on the set up just doesn't work. I like nearly everything else. The top plate looks great with the railing and space for shot glasses but it needs to be three times larger. Your last couple of pics in that thread show a very specific use. They are nice and clear pics which are better than many of my pics. Since the table seems to have a specific use, your market is also very specific. Because something doesn't jive with me on this item, my pricing for it is still in the $250 to $350 range at a gallery. If I were to take this to some of my art shows, I would first be worried someone would bump into it, second that outside, they would think that they would not see the glass and try to set something down and miss and drop it.

Arch with Cymbal - I like this and think it is a very clean design. Because of that, it has a much wider appeal. You have posted a few pics of the front of your house with some items seen and it has a clean look to it. I would take a few pics of this piece in front of the house. That might also give you a chance to see how stable it is. Customers will look at it and wonder if the wind will knock it over. In a gallery setting, I would probably price this in the $500-600 range. At some of my art shows, I would probably be in the same range but would be willing to drop 10%. I do not think many people will realize it is a drum cymbal and will like the texture of it. Some will think it is the lid for a wok or other type of pan because of the hole in the center. As I think about it, I would maybe see if there is something you could put in the center to hide the hole and avoid questions. Maybe a contrasting stainless ball or colored stainless ball on each side. Just use a threaded nut insert and small piece of threaded rod from a screw so they are held in place. Once it has something in the center, I would then revisit the price. Hiding that center hole will add just the right touch to make it complete. The stainless balls are a quick, easy accent, but I also know sometimes they might be a crutch for me.

In regards to local online sales, I don't post my art items on Facebook so can't comment on how those will do. Part of that is a function of how much time I have, and part of that is because many art pieces or sculptures need to be seen in person for the full effect. I think a website shows more professionalism. Facebook marketplace just seems like another version of Craigslist, and who buys higher end art off Craigslist or Facebook?
    Last edited by psacustomcreations; 01-21-2021 at 05:34 AM.
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe

28. Likes Lis2323, Shootr, leightrepairs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bcguide View Post
    I like those "feet"... I might steal that idea some time...
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

30. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I welded up some low profile clamp/hold downs for my CNC router table's spoilboard. CNC plasma cut the base parts the others parts are flat stock, and 3-D printed the knob tops. There are 2 fixed and 2 adjustable clamps all have the see-saw hold downs. The bse is 1/4" so the wood will stay 1/4" off the spoilboard so I can rout through the wood without hitting the spoilboard.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    DIY CNC Plasma table USB BOB Price THC
    Hypertherm 65
    Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
    Miler 180 Mig
    13" metal lathe
    Mill/ Drill
    ECT, ECT,

32. Likes Lis2323, psacustomcreations, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bcguide View Post
    Nice Looks like it would heat a lot of wood

34. Likes Lis2323, DLHCC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I was holding off on commenting because I was trying to think about both items. I will try to be honest since I expect others to do the same for my work. I know some of my pieces work or look complete and also know that sometimes, they do not. Stepping away from them a bit or outside help or advice is needed to make them pop.

Bar Table - The offset piece of glass does not do it for me. Something about that piece of glass on the set up just doesn't work. I like nearly everything else. The top plate looks great with the railing and space for shot glasses but it needs to be three times larger. Your last couple of pics in that thread show a very specific use. They are nice and clear pics which are better than many of my pics. Since the table seems to have a specific use, your market is also very specific. Because something doesn't jive with me on this item, my pricing for it is still in the $250 to $350 range at a gallery. If I were to take this to some of my art shows, I would first be worried someone would bump into it, second that outside, they would think that they would not see the glass and try to set something down and miss and drop it.

Arch with Cymbal - I like this and think it is a very clean design. Because of that, it has a much wider appeal. You have posted a few pics of the front of your house with some items seen and it has a clean look to it. I would take a few pics of this piece in front of the house. That might also give you a chance to see how stable it is. Customers will look at it and wonder if the wind will knock it over. In a gallery setting, I would probably price this in the $500-600 range. At some of my art shows, I would probably be in the same range but would be willing to drop 10%. I do not think many people will realize it is a drum cymbal and will like the texture of it. Some will think it is the lid for a wok or other type of pan because of the hole in the center. As I think about it, I would maybe see if there is something you could put in the center to hide the hole and avoid questions. Maybe a contrasting stainless ball or colored stainless ball on each side. Just use a threaded nut insert and small piece of threaded rod from a screw so they are held in place. Once it has something in the center, I would then revisit the price. Hiding that center hole will add just the right touch to make it complete. The stainless balls are a quick, easy accent, but I also know sometimes they might be a crutch for me.

In regards to local online sales, I don't post my art items on Facebook so can't comment on how those will do. Part of that is a function of how much time I have, and part of that is because many art pieces or sculptures need to be seen in person for the full effect. I think a website shows more professionalism. Facebook marketplace just seems like another version of Craigslist, and who buys higher end art off Craigslist or Facebook?
    This is great - I really appreciate you taking the time to detail your thoughts and help a brother out!

I'm hearing you on the bar table top size. I was referencing others that are at my local establishment, they just tuck in between two chairs giving a patron a closer place for an ashtray and/or beverage. I also figure if I'm really going to try and sell this stuff I should put some energy into staging and presenting them better (hence the props and backgrounds). As you say, it's marketed (currently) at a very specific audience and with cigars and whiskey booming in popularity it seems like a good demographic to target.

The good thing is if in a year, it's still hanging around, I can remodel it since everything extraneous is just bolted on.

I really appreciate the kind words on the cymbal piece - as a former percussionist it makes me smile to incorporate something like that in a piece - even if most don't realize what it is. I agree - that particular style cymbal has a unique look. It is still just held in with friction and gravity so if it gets into the wind it'll pop out. I want to secure it in the steel, but not sure how folding the edges over would look. I still kind of like the pin idea - cut the grooves enough for the edges to rise proud of the steel surface, drill a hole in the cymbal edge, and put a brass pin through it.

I was looking at drawer knobs and the like to fill the center hole - I want it double-sided because I like it not having a "front" and a "back". Haven't found anything that was jazzing me up too much. Do you have a source for the sphere's you use? I had an extra clock mechanism laying around and threw it in to see - still not a fan of it being a clock lol.

I think the website will be a benefit over the longer term. It's so easy and cheap to set up these days but nice to have a something polished that people can check and see more of what I'm about.

Sincerely, thanks again for your time and help.
    Yeswelder MIG-205DS

36. Likes psacustomcreations, ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This is great - I really appreciate you taking the time to detail your thoughts and help a brother out!
    Do you have a source for the sphere's you use?

A friend and I made a bulk purchase of the spheres at the end of 2019 from this place. We were over $1500 by the time it was all said and done.

https://verycoolstuff.us/gazing-globes-stands/
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe

38. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I used pieces of scrap plate and 2” square tube stubs to make bench vise vertical receivers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

Post Thanks / Like

As a new member and a new welder I just wanted to post a quick thank you for the inspirations and a say how impressive all the projects are. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by coecoe13 View Post
    As a new member and a new welder I just wanted to post a quick thank you for the inspirations and a say how impressive all the projects are. Thanks.
    Feel free to post photos of your work or any questions you might have. As you can see, we sometimes stray off topic, but as long as it is not politics, have at it.
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe

42. Likes Dave66, ronsii, Reebz, Lis2323, arcflash liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Scrap metal art or projects

As you can see, we sometimes stray off topic, but as long as it is not politics, have at it.
    And thank you for that, Pat!

Sent from my iPhone 11 NON pro version using Tapatalk
    :

44. Likes ronsii, psacustomcreations, arcflash liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I started out making a three dimensional, flame inspired abstract sculpture. It kept looking like a goose as I smoothed out the curves so I just went with it.
    Now I need to decide on a finish. Suggestions are welcome.

Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe

46. Likes Shootr, Reebz, whtbaron liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist