+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: ESAB Rebel

Post Thanks / Like

Re: ESAB Rebel

I read the specs, and did a search but it is not clear what the input power requirements are. 120V, what amps? 220V, what amps? If the 120V input is more than a standard 20 amp circuit what's the point of using it on 120 if the output is less that claimed.
    Ernie F.

Post Thanks / Like

So the Tweco Fusion 250 mig gun that comes with the Fabricator 252i is actually a Spray master Gun with the Fusion goose neck, tip & nozzle?
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CGT80 View Post
    Your first line nails it. They want to play hide and seek with the info and just create a tease.

Screw ESAB! Either tell me what you will have to offer or shut up until you have something that is worth mine time to look at. I am in the market for a 120/250v machine, but I will buy a Miller 211 and take advantage of the free basic AD helmet and Miller rebates on a machine that I have specs and reviews for vs. waiting for something without specs. If the Esab had some good spec and features that interested me, I might consider holding off for a bit to possibly purchase one. I really don't like advertising or marketing. Sometimes it will alert me to a new product, but I always research the product before jumping in.

The all in one machines, so far, lack HF and AC for TIG welding. Even with the option of a spool gun, I still want the capability to TIG aluminum when I see that it is better fit for a particular project. It seemed like aluminum was gaining popularity as a material for projects that may be build by people who would use the smaller machines. Maybe they expect everyone to be fine with using a spoolgun. The other multi machines have less MIG capability than their MIG only counterparts, excluding the Tweco 252i. For me, it is better to leave out the less capable tig feature and an advantage to have the increased MIG capability. Bigger is almost always better with welders.

I read that ESAB is owned by the same company as Victor, which is also now the same as Tweco, or did I get it wrong? The 252i would be awesome if it had fan on demand and 120v capability. The made in China deal might have been one I could live with. I wonder where the new Esab will be made. I am a Miller fan, but have used a few Lincolns and don't know much about Esab.
    Tweco/Victor/Thermal Dynamics are the same company from what I understand.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    So is the Tweco Fusion 250 mig gun that comes with the Fabricator 252i actually a Spray master Gun with the Fusion goose neck, Nozzle and tips?
    ahem ... back to my question
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

ahem ... back to my question

Yes, but mine with a #14 consumables is a spray-master 250 now . Neck is a fusion, but tapped out for the standard Tweco screw on nozzle setup..Liner is a bit large for a rebel though.. .040-.045 12 ft gun makes most sense on a rebel. being the drive is smaller size etc.. long term reliability...
    Blue Demon 140 MSI
    Blue Demon 200 AC/DC
    Esab 160i caddy
    Esab CV353
    INE 1500
    Lincoln 250 Idealarc
    Thermal LM-200
    Thermal 60i- 3phase
    Thermal 15c
    Topshak 40 plasma
    Miller Regency 200/LN-72
    Viking 250 mig/2410 feeder
    Weldcote 140

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Scott, I researched the gun liner sizes and purchased a 15' Fusion 250 gun with the .035 - .045 liner with an extra 1/16" gun liner. I was told I could run .030 up to .045 in a 1/16 liner as long as it's good solid core. I read it could cause a slightly less weld quality and if I want to weld shielded wire I need to keep the liner closer to wire diameter as a matched set. Any thoughts on that.

Post Thanks / Like

Makes sense.. Just my fusion gun had a 40-045 liner from the factory.. I changed it to a .023. but not much success with that setup.. There is a stand alone .023 outlet guide that might help. Have the caddymig 160 here now, and it's perfect from .023-.035 wire.. So not going to mess with the 252i/ .023 wire setup..
    Blue Demon 140 MSI
    Blue Demon 200 AC/DC
    Esab 160i caddy
    Esab CV353
    INE 1500
    Lincoln 250 Idealarc
    Thermal LM-200
    Thermal 60i- 3phase
    Thermal 15c
    Topshak 40 plasma
    Miller Regency 200/LN-72
    Viking 250 mig/2410 feeder
    Weldcote 140

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Scott, I researched the gun liner sizes and purchased a 15' Fusion 250 gun with the .035 - .045 liner with an extra 1/16" gun liner. I was told I could run .030 up to .045 in a 1/16 liner as long as it's good solid core. I read it could cause a slightly less weld quality and if I want to weld shielded wire I need to keep the liner closer to wire diameter as a matched set. Any thoughts on that.
    The liner that comes in the 250 Fusion gun works perfect for Rebel the way it is. I have made a couple modifications to my drive system and have run about 40lbs of .035 flux score through the machine so far with no problems. If running flux core I would stay within one size of the max wire liner size, the 250 Fusion hose is thicker and bends less which is better for the thinner flux core like .035/.030. The 180 Fusion gun is fine for solid wire with smooth drive rolls, I have had good luck leaving in the knurled rolls for both wire with the 250. If I were ESAB there needs to be an option of gun choices for the Rebel, and even though it may be overkill for a machine of this size the 250 gun is really perfect and bonus with the extra length, I would have payed more if that option was available on initial purchase. The machine really welds nice, probably more forgiving than any I have used, several people have come over to try it out, all said good things about weld appearance and ease of use.
    ESAB Rebels 215 and 235, ESAB HELIARC 281i, ESAB ET 301i, Hypertherm 85 and 45XP, Thermal Arc 185, TD 60i, HTP PRO PULSE 300

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brand X View Post
    Yes, but mine with a #14 consumables is a spray-master 250 now . Neck is a fusion, but tapped out for the standard Tweco screw on nozzle setup..Liner is a bit large for a rebel though.. .040-.045 12 ft gun makes most sense on a rebel. being the drive is smaller size etc.. long term reliability...
    I was thinking about what you have said on long term reliability and the only thing that comes to mind is drive roller motor strain or pre-mature roller wear from trying to push longer amounts of wire. Is this what you meant by long term reliability?

I'm 100% impressed with the machine so far and things should only get better as I learn more about it and welding
    Last edited by N2 Welding; 09-20-2016 at 10:26 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

nvm...

Post Thanks / Like

Ok got my Fusion 250 gun tonight with a ton of nib extras including a Velocity nozzle, .035 Velocity tip and Velocity goose neck.

Total of 9 nozzles , 72 tips, 3 necks 2 liners and new gun all for $129 shipped. I'm happy with the deal. I will check it out after the game.

Name:  20160926_194113.jpg
Views: 1459
Size:  53.4 KB
    Last edited by N2 Welding; 09-26-2016 at 11:45 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Where did you get your gun

Post Thanks / Like

I purchased it on EBAY. I was watching a seller who would list the gun each week in a separate sale starting bid of $9.99 plus $17.xx shipping for about 3 weeks in a row. Every week the bids kept getting higher and higher ranging from $68.00 + shipping to $108 plus shipping so I opted to go with a buy it now option set price with all the extra's from a different seller. I think I ended up with a better deal with all the extras and getting it sooner rather than later and hoping the other guy would still be selling them later on. There are deals on Ebay you just have to be patient and diligent in your searches. Purchased a foot pedal on Ebay for less than $50.00 shipped ( Thank's to Brand X ) and a Spool gun for less than $170.00 shipped.

purchased this NIB CK26 tig torch package for less than $50.00 shipped.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Thermal-Arc-...vip=true&rt=nc

mig gun purchase.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/162199213567...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
    Last edited by N2 Welding; 10-21-2016 at 01:54 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

So im on the fence on which to buy a miller 215 or the esab rebel 215ic.
    Any thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

Follow your heart and what research tells you. I am at the point that I no longer like to express what I think people should get or why. It usually falls on deaf ears any way LOL. Bottom line I don't think you can go wrong with either welder and either one will get the job done. Honestly if the Miller Multimatic 215 had been out when I was making my purchase I think I would have chose the miller but it wasn't and I opted for the Rebel over the Lincoln 210MP. My biggest regret in hindsight was not knowing enough about mig welding prior to purchasing the REBEL EMP 215ic. It is a great little very capable machine that helped me become a better mig welder for sure. I only wish I knew about Dual Shield and Spray transfer prior to purchasing the REBEL 215.

Here is a little comparison between the two from Bakers gas. Read all the comments as well some are comical at best.

https://www.bakersgas.com/weldmyworl...15-esab-rebel/
    Last edited by N2 Welding; 06-10-2017 at 11:37 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dbkarmann View Post
    So im on the fence on which to buy a miller 215 or the esab rebel 215ic.
    Any thoughts?
    My first thought is have you looked into what mig gun consumables you need, where to get them, and their cost? Do you want to do aluminum and have you looked into the associated costs of a spoolgun to do so?
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

Post Thanks / Like

When tig welding the miller has it's own gas port and solenoid separate from mig gas port so you don't have to mess with changing the gas lines or worry about remembering to turning on the gas valve on the torch body. It sucks when you spend a lot of time prepping for a tig weld then screw up all that prep by forgetting to open the gas valve on the torch. It messes up the material you are welding as well as the tungsten electrode.

Post Thanks / Like

My biggest regret in hindsight was not knowing enough about mig welding prior to purchasing the REBEL EMP 215ic. It is a great little very capable machine that helped me become a better mig welder for sure. I only wish I knew about Dual Shield and Spray transfer prior to purchasing the REBEL 215./[/url]

Why do you say that?

Thank you for the responses!

Post Thanks / Like

The Rebel EMP 215ic max volts is 25.5v and max wire feed speed is 475 Which is not going to be in the sweet spot of either spray arc or dual shield mig welding. I have yet to try dual shield with .035 7100 Ultra but from looking at the wire charts it don't look like the Rebel will be able to dial in the dual shield to the sweet spot of thicker than 1/4". Don't get me wrong I like the welder a lot and would not have learned as much as fast with such ease with out it. But once I learned about spray transfer and dual shield flux core I realized I could benefit from either the Rebel 235, Fabricator 252i or an older spraymaster 250. Live and learn.

Post Thanks / Like

well hell now after talking to you did more research and am looking at the POWERMTS 251SI

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jawslandshark View Post
    If I were ESAB there needs to be an option of gun choices for the Rebel, and even though it may be overkill for a machine of this size the 250 gun is really perfect and bonus with the extra length, I would have payed more if that option was available on initial purchase. The machine really welds nice, probably more forgiving than any I have used, several people have come over to try it out, all said good things about weld appearance and ease of use.
    I think I know why they don't offer the 250 mig gun as an option on the 215. I have been working on getting this machine to weld properly using the 250 gun. I fixed a couple of problems that made a world of difference. I beveled the edge of the socket for the mig gun port so it won't keep chewing up the Orings on the plug on the gun and removed the plastic faceplate where the gun feeds into the machine. If I don't remove the faceplate the gas ports won't line up properly. ESAB probably did not want to make another gun for the Rebel because they would have to make another gun shroud. Makes me think that is one reason they went with the Euro style gun on the 235.
    Last edited by N2 Welding; 06-16-2017 at 03:02 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I think I know why they don't offer the 250 mig gun as an option on the 215. I have been working on getting this machine to weld properly using the 250 gun. I fixed a couple of problems that made a world of difference. I beveled the edge of the socket for the mig gun port so it won't keep chewing up the Orings on the plug on the gun and removed the plastic faceplate where the gun feeds into the machine. If I don't remove the faceplate the gas ports won't line up properly. ESAB probably did not want to make another gun for the Rebel because they would have to make another gun shroud. Makes me think that is one reason they went with the Euro style gun on the 235.
    The 235 chews up the oring on the gas port for the euro also....yes this should have been addressed in the machining. I did not have to remove the plastic cover on my 215, but as you know I made adjustments to the drive.

I think the rest of the world likes the euro backend that is why they put an adapter in it, you can remove it and run a regular Tweco backend, eventually that is what will happen to mine when I get some time to screw with it.
    ESAB Rebels 215 and 235, ESAB HELIARC 281i, ESAB ET 301i, Hypertherm 85 and 45XP, Thermal Arc 185, TD 60i, HTP PRO PULSE 300

Post Thanks / Like

I saw a peek of what you did but not entirely sure what, how or why you did what you did to the drive system. I put a wiper on today because I am using some old esab spool arc 86 that was causing copper green deposits all over the drive system.
    Last edited by N2 Welding; 06-16-2017 at 07:13 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist