Thread: I made something! A door.

Post Thanks / Like

I made something! A door.

It's ages since I have posted anything here, though I still come and look.
    I made a sliding door for a building out the back of my place. It was a garage, but it's going to become a teenage hang for a while and then it will be another shed for me down the track.
    I'm never going to put a car in there, so I filled in the driveway bit. But I wanted to keep the opening. So I made a big sliding door with my trusty little stick welder. It's the first time I have tackled anything that big - or anything heavier than me.
    Gee, it works well. And looks great. I'm posting it here because none of my mates are all that impressed with it - they don't do stuff with their hands.Name:  slide 7.jpg
Views: 1175
Size:  94.3 KBName:  Slide 3.jpg
Views: 1133
Size:  42.0 KBName:  slide 6.jpg
Views: 1156
Size:  96.7 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Yeah, I carry.

House keys, wallet, some change, usually a newspaper, maybe a pen.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: I made something! A door.

Looks cool!

Post Thanks / Like

looks great. The only problem with rolling doors is getting them to seal... more an issue where its cold out though

Post Thanks / Like

Cold isn't too much of a problem in Sydney, but I do need to seal it. The leading edge - made from 75 x 40mm channel - fits into a length of the same channel attached to the wall. So that seal is 100%. The top of the door is made from channel, too. I have a length of 70 x 40 timber fixed to the ceiling and the door slides in that, so it's a 100% seal, too. That leaves me with one side and the bottom to sort out. we're heading into summer now, so I'm not concerned for now.
    That glass is 6mm Low E glass, too, so it has good insulating properties.
    Yeah, I carry.

Post Thanks / Like

Very Clever thanks for the post

Post Thanks / Like

scott-brunsdon

Seeing your work - I have missed you - not that I ever knew you?

'Contemporary Minimalism' is my preferred design/weld genre . . .

Kudos for your Mondrian glazing.

What else have you done during your hiatus?

Opus

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Scott, out there lurking eh? Door looks good. It rolls down that wall enough to go to that one window then? Maybe you could use a sort of soft squeegee type seal for the back edge. Streak the glass probably tho. Bottom edge just grind that concrete lip to a rounded edge. Water would run off and down. Course you've probably got your track pretty close to the edge there.
    "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -Theodore Roosevelt

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Opus and Sandy,
    Yes, over here lurking. I got out of the habit of looking at this forum regularly. My thoughts usually turn to you blokes when you have a mass shooting, so I checked in today after that one last night our time.
    I am always doing something, Opus, but nothing of late that has been 'weldingweb worthy'. It's summer soon, though, so I might get more active. I'm about to do a small renovation in the house, but there won't be any steel involved. I might post it anyway.
    Sandy, I've been on the lookout for a soft seal for the back edge. I'll have to look harder - it would be out there. The track is very close to the front edge, so no problems with water - it's a concrete floor inside anyway. I will have a think about sealing it in some way, though, for the breeze mainly.
    I put a new roof on that building and added plenty of insulation. I also reglazed the three windows with that special glass. It's a great building now - about 700 square feet, which is a good size. sort of wasted on the kids.
    Yeah, I carry.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, I made that door in-situ, too. Or course, when I welded the last corner it pulled it out of square - there's a lesson for the amateur. So then I had to get in touch with the bloke I buy my steel from and ask him if I could bring a door down and get him to help me square it up. I cleverly didn't tell him it was 3.5 metres wide because I knew that might give him pause for thought. I also wanted to get it galvanised and the gal guys won't pick-up from somebody's home. It was too big for a flatbed truck, so I got a removalist to transport it. I can still see the look on John's face when I arrived at his small and cluttered shop in that truck.
    He liked the door, though. He said if I got him to make it, he would have charged me $7,000 - he has lots of work. I reckon it cost me about $500 in materials.
    Yeah, I carry.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mick. Some of their seals look perfect.
    Yeah, I carry.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice work, and cool building. Personally, I wouldn't turn it over to the teenagers; I'd use it myself!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WorldPowerLabs View Post
    Nice work, and cool building. Personally, I wouldn't turn it over to the teenagers; I'd use it myself!
    His reasoning for that is probably to give them someplace to go, to keep them off the streets and out of trouble.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks great Scott.

Stop by more often!

Post Thanks / Like

the door itself looks really nice. i really improves the look of the home inside and out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scott brunsdon View Post
    Cold isn't too much of a problem in Sydney, but I do need to seal it. The leading edge - made from 75 x 40mm channel - fits into a length of the same channel attached to the wall. So that seal is 100%. The top of the door is made from channel, too. I have a length of 70 x 40 timber fixed to the ceiling and the door slides in that, so it's a 100% seal, too. That leaves me with one side and the bottom to sort out. we're heading into summer now, so I'm not concerned for now.
    That glass is 6mm Low E glass, too, so it has good insulating properties.
    I like your door design I was wondering what methodology you used to secure the glass?