Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shootr's 2 x 48 Belt Grinder Build

Post Thanks / Like

Shootr's 2 x 48 Belt Grinder Build

Now that I have the shaft of the buffer prepped, I'm starting to think about the design for the grinder. Since it's been done 1000 times by others, there are plenty of pics and guides to work from. This is the first iteration/idea using some luan.

There will be a base of 3/8" plate that the buffer will bolt to. A vertical plate of 1/4" will be welded and gusseted to the base and bolted to the buffer face.

Name:  20211210_141013-01.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  212.5 KB

Name:  20211210_141000-01.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  279.7 KB

I'll be using a 5" drive pulley, a 3" guide/tension pulley, and 2 - 2" idler pulleys. I'll also make my own "D" plate/platen. Got some heavy wall telescoping tubing to help with that.

Name:  20211210_141125-01-01.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  255.4 KB

Name:  20211210_143441-01-01.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  279.3 KB

The pulleys will be here next week, probably work on the platen tomorrow.

Should be a hoot!
    Last edited by Shootr; 12-10-2021 at 07:19 PM.
    Yeswelder MIG-205DS
    (3) Angle Grinders at the Ready
    Just a hobbyist trying to improve

2. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Shootr's 2 x 48 Belt Grinder Build

What do mean by "plug weld mounting bolts?" Hopefully you mean welding the backside of the bolts (with head cut off) flush in the holes. You need to get some better steel that isn't a rusted mess.

4. Likes Shootr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Welder Dave View Post
    What do mean by "plug weld mounting bolts?" Hopefully you mean welding the backside of the bolts (with head cut off) flush in the holes. You need to get some better steel that isn't a rusted mess.
    There is such a thing as a sandblast...

6. Likes Shootr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Are you planning on any stiffners on the upright plate? 1/4" isn't much for that. On the 2"x 48" upright I used 3/8" plate and if I was to do it over I would have used 1/2". I used a face mount motor but you will get deflection with that 1/4" plate even with the flat base mount.

8. Likes Shootr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Welder Dave View Post
    Yes, I'll be cleaning up the steel once actual fabrication begins. Didn't see a reason to yet as still in the mock up stage.

Yes, the studs will be as you describe, holes drilled in the plate, headless bolts set in and welded flush on the bottom.
    Yeswelder MIG-205DS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M J D View Post
    Are you planning on any stiffners on the upright plate? 1/4" isn't much for that. On the 2"x 48" upright I used 3/8" plate and if I was to do it over I would have used 1/2". I used a face mount motor but you will get deflection with that 1/4" plate even with the flat base mount.
    I had faith the 1/4" would suffice. I would be able to add a couple of vertical L channels where the red lines are, and the square platen holder tube should be good for the horizontal.

Name:  20211210_143441-01-01-01.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  281.3 KB
    Yeswelder MIG-205DS

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting build, cant wait to see it completed.
    Lincoln 330 MPX
    Modified Tombstone
    Lincoln LN-25X-TVT
    Magnum PRO 250LX GT Spool Gun
    ¼ Ton of Torches OFC-A / OFG-A
    SMAW FCAW GMAW
    Air Carbon Arc Gouging
    #Freebird Welds

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shootr View Post
    I had faith the 1/4" would suffice. I would be able to add a couple of vertical L channels where the red lines are, and the square platen holder tube should be good for the horizontal.

Name:  20211210_143441-01-01-01.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  281.3 KB
    That should definitely help stiffen things up. The platens should help as well. The heavier material and bracing really helps cut down on vibrations especially at higher speed.

13. Likes Shootr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M J D View Post
    That should definitely help stiffen things up. The platens should help as well. The heavier material and bracing really helps cut down on vibrations especially at higher speed.
    At this point I think the OP should save the 1/4" plate he has for other uses ( maybe even on this build and purchase heavier ( 3/8" or even 1/2")

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    :

15. Likes Shootr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Backyard machinists runout test. Only vibration is in the center from the wrench flats, I left a bit for the set screw to engage.

The supplier didn't have any drops large enough in thicker material and El-Cheapo Shootr is a budget kind of guy. All I can do is charge ahead and hope. Worst case scenario - I'll have great templates to make another out of thicker material.
    Yeswelder MIG-205DS

17. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Shootr's 2 x 48 Belt Grinder Build

Backyard machinists runout test. Only vibration is in the center from the wrench flats, I left a bit for the set screw to engage.

The supplier didn't have any drops large enough in thicker material and El-Cheapo Shootr is a budget kind of guy. All I can do is charge ahead and hope. Worst case scenario - I'll have great templates to make another out of thicker material.

Then as MJD mentioned your plan on stiffening with channel or angle will do the trick.

Don't get carried away and overweld.!!lol

Last edited by Lis2323; 12-11-2021 at 11:41 AM.
    :

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, the studs will be as you describe, holes drilled in the plate, headless bolts set in and welded flush on the bottom.
    IMO a better option would be to drill and countersink the holes ...

and use flat head socket drive capscrews ...

I'm a big fan of "weld less" where possible.

:

20. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A vertical plate of 1/4" will be welded and gusseted to the base and bolted to the buffer face.

Name:  20211210_141013-01.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  212.5 KB
    Name:  20211210_141125-01-01.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  255.4 KB

If you design it like that.... you're gonna absolutely hate yourself when it's all said and done.

My 2x48 has proven plenty strong enough even tough the whole belt apparatus hangs off the bolts on the engine case. The "Multitool" grinder attachments also hang from the mounting holes, so we can say with some certainty that there isn't any structural reason to have the vertical plate tied to the base plate and then gusseted. It certainly wouldn't add any rigidity to the part that's above the top-most bolt on the grinder.

As for stiffening the portion that's above the mounting face, I'm glad you're thinking about some fins. My Jet 2x48 has a thicker plate that stands all by itself, and while I think 1/4" would be okay.... I do worry about vibration causing problems.

I'm a huge fan of the Steampunk-slash-Art Deco look, so I really like the idea of doing some fins on that bad boy.

If you really feel like tying the vertical portion to the horizontal, I would go with a single, very short leg at the back, with a sinuous curve that comes up and around the mounting interface and then continues on into the rest of the vertical element. Let's see if you can guess where the issue is in the two pics you posted.....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VaughnT View Post
    I'm a huge fan of the Steampunk-slash-Art Deco look, so I really like the idea of doing some fins on that bad boy.

If you really feel like tying the vertical portion to the horizontal, I would go with a single, very short leg at the back, with a sinuous curve that comes up and around the mounting interface and then continues on into the rest of the vertical element. Let's see if you can guess where the issue is in the two pics you posted.....
    Good grief. Why did someone take a cool idea and weld those fins from the top side ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

23. Likes VaughnT, Welder Dave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I would have at least filled in the joint with some body filler and smoothed the radius before painting. It would have been nice to see it blended in like it was all one cast piece!

25. Likes Lis2323 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The bolts on the motor - all 3 of the tiny 8mm's that thread in maybe 3/8 to 1/2" - I ain't trusting those to hold this thing.

My thinking is the reverse of your situation. Have the load on the the bottom plate, and just use the motor bolts as positioning/steadying role.

No clue which errors you're seeing - I'm sure they, among others, will show themselves quite readily.
    Last edited by Shootr; 12-11-2021 at 05:46 PM.
    Yeswelder MIG-205DS

27. Likes VaughnT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The bolts on the motor - all 3 of the tiny 8mm's that thread in maybe 3/8 to 1/2" - I ain't trusting those to hold this thing.

My thinking is the reverse of your situation. Have the load on the the bottom plate, and just use the motor bolts as positioning/steadying role.

No clue which errors you're seeing...
    Your thinking is sound. I like the idea of a foot coming up off the deck, some sweet curves blending smoothly around the motor bolts and rising in a graceful tower to support the upper structure. It could be epic!

However.... the way you have it laid out makes it nearly impossible to reach that one nut holding the whole thing down. Looks like you could get a wrench on it, technically, but actually moving the wrench?

Not that I've ever done anything similar, mind you. Just heard that it could happen.

29. Likes Shootr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

C'mon man - I'm an ex-Snap-on dealer - I gots tools!

But maybe a stylish little window will make life easier lol. (My drawing program on my phone is limited.)

Name:  20211210_141125-01-02.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  196.9 KB
    Yeswelder MIG-205DS

31. Likes VaughnT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

C'mon man - I'm an ex-Snap-on dealer - I gots tools!

But maybe a stylish little window will make life easier lol. (My drawing program on my phone is limited.)

Name:  20211210_141125-01-02.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  196.9 KB
    Drawing program on your phone? You’re light years ahead of me.

I have a hard enough time adding text to my photos on my phone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

33. Likes whtbaron, VaughnT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I found a simple template for D-backing plate so yesterday I got started on it. 3/8" plate.

Name:  20211211_091143-01.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  161.6 KB

Name:  20211211_103321-01.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  234.6 KB

Name:  20211212_105158-01.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  277.3 KB

Today's fun was getting the seam out of the tube so it would telescope. I have a scrap of 3x3 tube that I want make the platen holder out of.

Name:  20211212_114415-01.jpg
Size:  365.2 KB

Name:  20211212_114843-01.jpg
Size:  258.5 KB

Quick little mockup to get more tips and advice.

1) The idler wheels use 1/2" bolts for axles. Should I tap and thread them into the plate, use a nut on each side, threaded and a nut?

2) I plan on facing the platen with 1/4" or 3/8". Does that sound about right?

I still have to work out the tool rest, but one step at a time.
    Yeswelder MIG-205DS

35. Likes N2 Welding, VaughnT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Following along for entertainment as well as educational purposes.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

37. Likes Shootr, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VaughnT View Post
    Your thinking is sound. I like the idea of a foot coming up off the deck, some sweet curves blending smoothly around the motor bolts and rising in a graceful tower to support the upper structure. It could be epic!

However.... the way you have it laid out makes it nearly impossible to reach that one nut holding the whole thing down. Looks like you could get a wrench on it, technically, but actually moving the wrench?

Not that I've ever done anything similar, mind you. Just heard that it could happen.
    I hadn't even gotten to thinking about the aesthtics but as usual, you've primed the pump with great ideas!

The motor has an old-school vibe with the smaller, but more plentiful fins - that have subtle arc to them. The vertical braces will mimic that.

The cutout for the bolt access - something stylish as well. As it comes to fruition there will inevitably be other touches.

You my hero!
    Yeswelder MIG-205DS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    Following along for entertainment as well as educational purposes.
    Don't know about educational, but entertainment is assured!
    Yeswelder MIG-205DS

40. Likes N2 Welding, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I found a simple template for D-backing plate so yesterday I got started on it. 3/8" plate.

Name:  20211211_091143-01.jpg
Size:  161.6 KB

Name:  20211211_103321-01.jpg
Size:  234.6 KB

Name:  20211212_105158-01.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  277.3 KB

Today's fun was getting the seam out of the tube so it would telescope. I have a scrap of 3x3 tube that I want make the platen holder out of.

Name:  20211212_114415-01.jpg
Size:  365.2 KB

Name:  20211212_114843-01.jpg
Size:  258.5 KB

Quick little mockup to get more tips and advice.

1) The idler wheels use 1/2" bolts for axles. Should I tap and thread them into the plate, use a nut on each side, threaded and a nut?

2) I plan on facing the platen with 1/4" or 3/8". Does that sound about right?

I still have to work out the tool rest, but one step at a time.
    Reach out to acourtjester. He has made several belt grinders from scratch and can offer advice.
    If you search for his name, you should see several examples. Including ways he dressed them up beyond plain hardware.
    My belt grinder uses a bolt as axle.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Miller Spectrum 625 Plasma
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    www.psacustomcreations.com

42. Likes Lis2323, Shootr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

On the axle bolts, drill and tap as mentioned, and the I use a thin jam nut as with threading tubing you won't achieve ideal thread depth. As for the platens, I would use the 3/8" or heavier. Smoothness in any machine tool, be it grinder, lathe, whatever comes from rigidity and mass.

44. Likes Shootr liked this post