Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Trailblazer 325 efi or carb?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Greensburg Pa
    Posts
    496
    Post Thanks / Like

    Trailblazer 325 efi or carb?

    Hey guys and gals, finally saved up enough dough to buy myself a trailblazer 325. Plan to purchase it in the next week or two. Im still kinda undecided on going efi with the excel power or base model carburated. I really like the excel power option and i wish that they sold it with the option to go carb with excel power. Interesting how in another thread someone mentioned possibly making ur own excel power with a inverter hooked up to the battery within the trailblazer. Not sure if id want to mess with doing that and or if it would work well.

    The difference in the upgrade to efi and excel is around 700-800 dollars. I also am a little bit of a prepper and so the trailblazer would also serve a purpose of a backup generator for short term and possibly long term emergencies. Not trying to get off topic here, but the carb model originally was even more of a plus to me due to the fact that carbs are generally emp proof. I know there are all kinds of circuit boards in the welding side of the trailblazer but my figuring was that if a emp were to take out the welder electronics, i could possibly still get the gen set to produce power for me. - called miller and they said that even the carb model requires a circuit board in order to run. So seems that kinda is null on the emp issue.

    This things main purpose is to surve me in my welding business ive slowly been building over the last few months so if you guys have anything to say on the efi (with excel) vs carb id appreciate it very much!

    By the way, if i had the money it would be the pipe pro 350 as pipe welding could be in my future!
    Thanks a lot !!

    Dynasty 200DX (2014)
    Millermatic 211 (2015)
    Optrel 864 (2014)
    Smith Medium duty MBA 30510 (Xmas 2014)
    Tennsmith 16ga 4ft finger brake (2015)
    Trailblazer 325 EFI and excel
    Thermal dynamics Cutmaster 82
    Miller maxtron 450

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Greensburg Pa
    Posts
    496
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Trailblazer 325 efi or carb?

    Oh and i know that a bobcat would be a fully emp proof machine, but not interested in one of those.

    Dynasty 200DX (2014)
    Millermatic 211 (2015)
    Optrel 864 (2014)
    Smith Medium duty MBA 30510 (Xmas 2014)
    Tennsmith 16ga 4ft finger brake (2015)
    Trailblazer 325 EFI and excel
    Thermal dynamics Cutmaster 82
    Miller maxtron 450

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    The Peoples Republic of Kalifornia
    Posts
    3,239
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Trailblazer 325 efi or carb?

    Go with the EFI it will save you a lot on fuel costs
    Backed my CATMA over your CARMA oops clusmy me

    What would SATAN do ??


    Miller Trailblazer 302 AirPak
    Miller Digital Elite
    Optrel Welding Hat
    Arcair K4000
    Suitcase 12RC / 12 VS
    Hypertherm PM-45
    Rage 3 saw
    Rusty old Truck

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    82
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Trailblazer 325 efi or carb?

    Carb or EFI based upon EMP resistance? Either one still requires a working ignition system to operate. The coil (welding alternator, ignition coil, or starter) insulation was not likely designed to survive the large induced voltages from an EMP event without failure. Lets not talk about the EMP resistance of the alternator rectifiers in either version of the 325. You might be better off making your choice based upon real world functionality, serviceability, and cost than EMP. Consider an Oxy Fuel rig if post apocalyptic welding is your long term goal. Early VW Bugs and SA200s might survive, just ask Woody Allen (Sleeper 1973).

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    2,356
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Trailblazer 325 efi or carb?

    Quote Originally Posted by AMillerUser View Post
    ...snip... Consider an Oxy Fuel rig if post apocalyptic welding is your long term goal. ...snip...
    X2!

    Until nuclear Armageddon, if you want an engine that will start every time, regardless of weather conditions, go with the EFI.
    Be wary of The Numbers: Figures don't lie,. but liars can figure.
    Welders:
    2008 Lincoln 140 GMAW&FCAW
    2012 HF 165 'toy' GTAW&SMAW
    1970's Cobbled together O/A

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Greensburg Pa
    Posts
    496
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Trailblazer 325 efi or carb?

    Quote Originally Posted by AMillerUser View Post
    Carb or EFI based upon EMP resistance? Either one still requires a working ignition system to operate. The coil (welding alternator, ignition coil, or starter) insulation was not likely designed to survive the large induced voltages from an EMP event without failure. Lets not talk about the EMP resistance of the alternator rectifiers in either version of the 325. You might be better off making your choice based upon real world functionality, serviceability, and cost than EMP. Consider an Oxy Fuel rig if post apocalyptic welding is your long term goal. Early VW Bugs and SA200s might survive, just ask Woody Allen (Sleeper 1973).
    U bring up a couple valid points one of which i wasnt aware had sensitive electronics ( alternator).

    Well then. Aside from the emp thing and purely based on a functional and economic standpoint seems like the three of you above prefer the efi. Anyone else with input please post.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Woodinville, WA
    Posts
    1,206
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Trailblazer 325 efi or carb?

    Going to disregard the BS on EMPs since my job has had be deal with EMP analysis and basically, if you were near the epicenter of a nuclear based EMP, the engine in your generator wouldn't matter. From a standpoint of starting, fuel efficiency, and all temperature use, get the EFI.

    --Wintermute
    "No man's knowledge here can go beyond his experience." - John Locke
    www.improvised-engineering.com
    Manufacturer Agnostic:
    Blood----------Sweat---------Tears
    ----|------------------|----------------|----
    Lincoln Red, Miller Blue, Esab Yellow

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Greensburg Pa
    Posts
    496
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Trailblazer 325 efi or carb?

    Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    Going to disregard the BS on EMPs since my job has had be deal with EMP analysis and basically, if you were near the epicenter of a nuclear based EMP, the engine in your generator wouldn't matter. From a standpoint of starting, fuel efficiency, and all temperature use, get the EFI.

    --Wintermute
    Id appreciate it if elaborated on ur experience with emp. A nuke exploding high in the atmosphere wouldnt harm us with radiation, but would send out a emp across much of the nation (as far as i understand it). Not trying to get off topic too much here but whats ur experience with emp and elecronics? Thanks.

    Dynasty 200DX (2014)
    Millermatic 211 (2015)
    Optrel 864 (2014)
    Smith Medium duty MBA 30510 (Xmas 2014)
    Tennsmith 16ga 4ft finger brake (2015)
    Trailblazer 325 EFI and excel
    Thermal dynamics Cutmaster 82
    Miller maxtron 450

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    2,356
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Trailblazer 325 efi or carb?

    Quote Originally Posted by outdoort View Post
    Id appreciate it if elaborated on ur experience with emp. A nuke exploding high in the atmosphere wouldnt harm us with radiation, but would send out a emp across much of the nation (as far as i understand it). Not trying to get off topic too much here but whats ur experience with emp and elecronics? Thanks.
    Thanks for getting me to read the Wikipedia entry on EMP.

    Yeah, really high-altitude nuclear detonations will cause a wide area EMP, but then there is little-to-no blast effect.

    Again, if you really need your welding rig to function after the nuclear holocaust, O/A is your only option.

    The EFI computer is only one of several critical pieces of electronics. The alternator, its regulator, the starter, the solenoid that engages the starter drive, ignition system. What about the controls for the welder? A 1940's or 1950's (early, simple, hand-cranked) engine drive might survive, but the exciter or magneto may not.

    (Rhetorically) How well prepped for this disaster are you?

    I grew up during the height of The Cold War. Most of my contemporaries were comfortable with "At the sound of the air raid sirens: Sit down. Place your head between your knees and kiss your azz goodbye."

    So, if I were in the position to buy a brand-new engine drive welder. I'd spend the extra on a Diesel. Only because Diesels hold up better than gas engines.

    My recommendation: Plan for the foreseeable future, not every possibility.
    Be wary of The Numbers: Figures don't lie,. but liars can figure.
    Welders:
    2008 Lincoln 140 GMAW&FCAW
    2012 HF 165 'toy' GTAW&SMAW
    1970's Cobbled together O/A

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Haslet Texas
    Posts
    639
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Trailblazer 325 efi or carb?

    go with the efi....
    my TB325 with efi and excel can sit for months on end, and have no issues starting, no matter the weather
    it has 50 hours on it, I've only had to fill it up twice.. great fuel mileage

    excel power.. its nice running hand tools and charging batteries without it revving up

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Woodinville, WA
    Posts
    1,206
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Trailblazer 325 efi or carb?

    Primary issue with nuclear EMP isn't the blast from the nuclear weapon. It's the EMP itself. My experience is in working with engineering on prototype weaponry development and the studies to protect those weapons against nuclear EMP. The primary issue for your generator (but more importantly for yourself, your house, etc...) is the 50,000v/m that comes with a nuclear EMP. Anything with a sufficiently long conductor attached to it basically gets cooked. For quite a few things, that sufficiently long conductor is the object itself (such as a ship, shipping container, wiring in a house, etc...). Your gen welder is no different, we found that dissimilar directly contacting metals would weld themselves together (think a piston, piston rings, and engine block). Additional affects of that kind of voltage transmission on the human body/nervous system were extreme...and disturbing (think being hit with a stun gun, but directly against your frontal lobe instead of on your skin). At the outer EMP edge of a low yield atmospheric nuclear detonation (like what was seen on Hawaii during Starfish) the v/m is substantially dissipated, however, no tests have been done with high yield nuclear detonations and the dissipation radius is purely speculative at this point. If you are within the core of the EMP (IOW, not far enough out to have substantial dissipation of the EMP), then you're not going to care that your gen welder doesn't work as you won't be around to care.

    --Wintermute
    "No man's knowledge here can go beyond his experience." - John Locke
    www.improvised-engineering.com
    Manufacturer Agnostic:
    Blood----------Sweat---------Tears
    ----|------------------|----------------|----
    Lincoln Red, Miller Blue, Esab Yellow

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Greensburg Pa
    Posts
    496
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Trailblazer 325 efi or carb?

    Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    Primary issue with nuclear EMP isn't the blast from the nuclear weapon. It's the EMP itself. My experience is in working with engineering on prototype weaponry development and the studies to protect those weapons against nuclear EMP. The primary issue for your generator (but more importantly for yourself, your house, etc...) is the 50,000v/m that comes with a nuclear EMP. Anything with a sufficiently long conductor attached to it basically gets cooked. For quite a few things, that sufficiently long conductor is the object itself (such as a ship, shipping container, wiring in a house, etc...). Your gen welder is no different, we found that dissimilar directly contacting metals would weld themselves together (think a piston, piston rings, and engine block). Additional affects of that kind of voltage transmission on the human body/nervous system were extreme...and disturbing (think being hit with a stun gun, but directly against your frontal lobe instead of on your skin). At the outer EMP edge of a low yield atmospheric nuclear detonation (like what was seen on Hawaii during Starfish) the v/m is substantially dissipated, however, no tests have been done with high yield nuclear detonations and the dissipation radius is purely speculative at this point. If you are within the core of the EMP (IOW, not far enough out to have substantial dissipation of the EMP), then you're not going to care that your gen welder doesn't work as you won't be around to care.

    --Wintermute
    Thanks for the additional details. Sounds like ur refering to a nuc blast on or near land mass. I agree with the fact in that instance emp wont mean jack because ul be dead. Im talking a high altitude nuc exlosion from a terrist. Supposedly the smaller nuclear bombs will give off even more of a emp blast when detonated in this fashion.
    Also lets not forget solar flares. They will give off emp just like what were talking about above, and i think i read somewhere that scientists say we are over do for a large one.

    Dynasty 200DX (2014)
    Millermatic 211 (2015)
    Optrel 864 (2014)
    Smith Medium duty MBA 30510 (Xmas 2014)
    Tennsmith 16ga 4ft finger brake (2015)
    Trailblazer 325 EFI and excel
    Thermal dynamics Cutmaster 82
    Miller maxtron 450

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Woodinville, WA
    Posts
    1,206
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Trailblazer 325 efi or carb?

    No, I am not referring to a low altitude blast. I'm referring to a high altitude blast intended specifically to create a high grade EMP (which is really only a nation state item btw...I would highly doubt the possibility of a terrorist gaining access to a high altitude bomber or an ICBM).

    --Rama
    "No man's knowledge here can go beyond his experience." - John Locke
    www.improvised-engineering.com
    Manufacturer Agnostic:
    Blood----------Sweat---------Tears
    ----|------------------|----------------|----
    Lincoln Red, Miller Blue, Esab Yellow

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Greensburg Pa
    Posts
    496
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Trailblazer 325 efi or carb?

    Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    No, I am not referring to a low altitude blast. I'm referring to a high altitude blast intended specifically to create a high grade EMP (which is really only a nation state item btw...I would highly doubt the possibility of a terrorist gaining access to a high altitude bomber or an ICBM).

    --Rama
    I agree, that its pretty unlikely something like this would happen, but a concern none the less. -especially with iran on its way to obtaining them. They are the worlds leading funder of terrism.

    Dynasty 200DX (2014)
    Millermatic 211 (2015)
    Optrel 864 (2014)
    Smith Medium duty MBA 30510 (Xmas 2014)
    Tennsmith 16ga 4ft finger brake (2015)
    Trailblazer 325 EFI and excel
    Thermal dynamics Cutmaster 82
    Miller maxtron 450

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Page generated in 1,627,456,412.86667 seconds with 11 queries