Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: O/A Kit Suggestions

Post Thanks / Like

Re: O/A Kit Suggestions

I paid 400 for my small OA setup.. it works good for me but now i sort of wish i had just pieced together a larger oxy propane setup as i have a 100lb propane tank already. Just buy regs, torch, 02 and you are good to go.. it actually might not be that far off from 500 if you shop around.

If you buy a used torch and regs,a new 02 cylinder, you might be able to do it for well under 500 and just use a 20 lb propane tank until you can afford a bigger one. I paid 100 for my 100lb propane tank filled. Prices in alaska are probably higher. I would rather have a new torch and reg set though.
    Last edited by sparky24; 10-28-2015 at 01:22 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Down side of that idea is that he wants to weld, not just heat and cut from what I understand. To weld, his only choice is Acetylene if he wants to use a torch vs going with mig, tig or stick.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

If he wants to weld a Hobart 140 is like 350 bucks on sale. Same machine at a miller pretty much

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sparky24 View Post
    If he wants to weld a Hobart 140 is like 350 bucks on sale. Same machine at a miller pretty much
    I was considering a nice used MIG, but they seemed fairly limited as far as versatility. I've played around with a Millermatic 140 and a Millermatic 255(?), and I immediately saw the limitations of the 140. Cranked up on max I didn't like how it was handling 1/8" steel (maybe I'm just being a noob). Seems in the long run I'd want a larger MIG for versatility, but unfortunately they are just way out of my price range at the moment. When I search for used welders (of any kind) in my area it is very difficult. People here know that used equipment is in short supply, and they charge you accordingly. A few examples listed below.

Of all the used units I found this one seems like the best deal, but again way out of my price range: Miller Trailblazer 302 and LN 25 Wire Feeder for $4000.

Snap On 220 with Aluminum Spool Gun - $3500.

This is the only remotely affordable one, but not a good deal at $400. I found them new online for $500-$550.

I'm still open to suggestions, but unless I find a killer deal on a used unit I still feel O/A is my best bet for learning and understanding welding processes. Correct me if I'm wrong

Post Thanks / Like

I'm probably dragging this conversation out longer than people would like, haha. Sorry I'm just a broke *** college student trying to get a good deal.

Post Thanks / Like

Just save your money and wait for a deal IMO. Thats what i would do. For a new machine best bang for the buck IMO is the hobart 210 mvp. Same machine as the old miller 211 but 400 bucks cheaper. I think they are around 799 new. Thats good up to about 3/8 steel

http://www.farmandfleet.com/products...ig-welder.html

Post Thanks / Like

I'm gonna have to agree with Sparky here. Save your money and get a decent MIG or TIG/stick welder.

*Everything* is limited in one way or another, and you just have to accept that. If you keep that in mind, you'll start to see options appear. And out of all the welding/cutting options, I wouldn't go with an OA setup for a first rig.

I would search YouTube for a video that lays out the different types of welding with positives and benefits. Pick one that sounds like the best fit for you and go for it. Again, everything has limitations.

FWIW, I went with the MIG process for my first rig and I don't regret it. That's just me though.
    Millermatic 211 w/Spoolmate 150
    Hypertherm PMX45XP

Wishlist:
    HTP Invertig 221

Post Thanks / Like

Just save your money and wait for a deal IMO. Thats what i would do. For a new machine best bang for the buck IMO is the hobart 210 mvp. Same machine as the old miller 211 but 400 bucks cheaper. I think they are around 799 new. Thats good up to about 3/8 steel
    I honestly think I'll have to wait for a good seal! As much as I'd love a shiny new setup (who wouldn't?) I don't think it's an option for me right now. The biggest reason I wanted to go with an O/A setup was because I was told they were considerably cheaper than even a cheap new MIG, and that they made for excellent practice. Unfortunately that could not have been farther from the truth (as far as price was concerned). New MC O/A setup with tanks will cost me $800-$1100 if I get good quality equipment.

Bummer! Unfortunately used set-ups don't pop up too often around here (I've only check craigslist so far).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DerekV View Post
    I'm gonna have to agree with Sparky here. Save your money and get a decent MIG or TIG/stick welder.
    Fair enough. Seems that's my best bet at the moment. It just sucks waiting around for a deal to pop up. Haha

Post Thanks / Like

I'm also going to say save and see what you find.

I bought my OA setup at a garage sale, bottles, cart, two torches and two or three sets of hoses, $100. I've also found torches on CraigsList occasionally. I'm not saying that a deal like that is guaranteed, but it never hurts to look!

Post Thanks / Like

I've gotten some real deals on torches, hoses and regulators, but it adds up. Add in the cost of tanks and the fuel and it's not pretty unless you need that particular welding process. I probably have $4,000 invested in various used welding equipment. The O/A stuff is probably less than 10 percent of that, but not the tanks.
    "USMCPOP" First-born son: KIA Iraq 1/26/05
    Syncrowave 250 w/ Coolmate 3
    Dialarc 250, Idealarc 250
    SP-175 +
    Firepower TIG 160S (gave the TA 161 STL to the son)
    Lincwelder AC180C (1952)
    Victor & Smith O/A torches
    Miller spot welder

Post Thanks / Like

I think your pretty much figured out on this but i wouldnt let the limited power of the hobart 140 deter you from buying it... if you just doing stuff around the house and projects its a nice machine when you put it on a 20 amp outlet and run fluxcore or some solid wire with C02 (runs a little hotter like that). Besides you can just sell the machine later when you want to upgrade. I went from hobart 140 to miller 211 to miller xmt 350 with a wirefeeder. You can get some decent welds on 1/4 material or really even larger, its just not going to be to code or safer for anything structural because it lacks penetration - the point is you can get some really good practice with a small machine that translates directly to more powerful stuff down the road.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SquareBanks View Post
    Fair enough. Seems that's my best bet at the moment. It just sucks waiting around for a deal to pop up. Haha
    Oh, what's this?
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

HTP Invertig 400
    HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300
    HTP ProPulse 200 x2
    HTP ProPulse 220MTS
    HTP Inverarc 200TLP
    HTP Microcut 875SC

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    Oh, what's this?
    Minimum for shipping quote was $307 =/

Post Thanks / Like

Besides you can just sell the machine later when you want to upgrade.
    Very true...I might have to do something like that, as it looks like my options are very limited right now. Haha. Thanks for the advice

Post Thanks / Like

Minimum for shipping quote was $307 =/
    where do you live, on the Asteroid Belt? lol
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

HTP Invertig 400
    HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300
    HTP ProPulse 200 x2
    HTP ProPulse 220MTS
    HTP Inverarc 200TLP
    HTP Microcut 875SC

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    where do you live, on the Asteroid Belt? lol
    Pretty dang close. I'm in interior Alaska

Cheapest option was ground, but not sure FedEx would do that to Alaska.
    Last edited by SquareBanks; 10-28-2015 at 09:35 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty dang close. I'm in interior Alaska

Cheapest option was ground, but not sure FedEx would do that to Alaska.
    Where does one go to college in alaska??

Post Thanks / Like

Where does one go to college in alaska??
    There are many actually. The largest is a statewide unit, University of Alaska, with 3 primary subunits: UA - Fairbanks, UA - Anchorage, UA - Southeast. I work and attend classes at University of Alaska Fairbanks. That is only 3 of the largest universities, there are probably a dozen smaller units that are stand alone or branches of the various UA universities.

Post Thanks / Like

SquareBanks,
    I know what it's like trying to find a good deal and not get hosed. Worst problem is finding a good deal requires patience, but I don't like waiting for opportunity to knock, I'll be dead by then. I was taught to weld in school on Oxy/Acetylene, takes practice but in the end you'll be a better welder. I got a Victor Cutskill Torch setup because of accessory availability, most welding suppliers, online or otherwise, carry Victor. Not everything is compatible thru torch series (Med to Heavy duty) but usually everything is in stock. Torch, regs, hose & sparkie was about $300, give or take, I got a Harbor Freight cylinder cart for $50 and the "Used" bottles (75CuFt Ace/125CuFt Oxy) were "new" for $330 full from a local welding supply that unfortunately was bought out and closed. Much cheaper than Airgas, Praxair & Matheson, but no more. The best thing you can do for "cheap" bottles is search pawn shops, craigslist, local classifieds & local bussineses. Sometimes you can find individual bottles for cheap because the test date is out and the shop doesn't want to get it tested/people don't want to buy expired bottles, even though testing charges at a local welding supply are only $20-30. Make sure they're blank neck ring non leased bottles. I got an Mc/20CuFt bottle set from a Pawn Shop that way, they sold the torch, regs & hose but not the bottles because the bottles were expired. Paid $40 for both with the carrier, Fifty bucks will fill both including the test fees, go figure. New would be $150+ empty, and you just exchange anyway. Also buy a medium or heavy duty setup and get the adapter for the smaller Acetylene bottle, the Oxygen is the same. The smaller kits regs don't flow as much and seem more fragile. Also you can get a "B" Acetylene tank (40CuFt) and some Welding Supplys will trade up to a 75CuFt for a small fee. You can get a good deal on used "B" tanks because most people don't know what to do with them. They're too big to be portable with oxygen, too small for significant welding. Because of withdrawal rates get the biggest Acetylene you can handle, for cutting the Oxygen is more important, but when welding you have to watch your CuFt per hour usage to keep from overdrawing the cylinder. Most people don't cut for hours on end, welding practice on fuel takes time. Alaska is tough because freight charges are going to kill you. Look for a local deal, otherwise shipping will eat your budget. Try to find someone who needs some metal cut for some reason to offset the cost of the gas bottles, I got $200 for cutting up some 4" "C" channel for a neighbor who didn't have a torch. Good Luck however you go!