+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Smoking in the structural shop

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Smoking in the structural shop

I never smoke but my shop it ok smoke.
    Even after the California band indoor smoking.

Beside myself I have only know one other welder that did not smoke he did live till 99

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    I have one faciliity, most emergency calls are middle of the night. Several times, a few in Covid-19 time there is a stupid employee. He insists on standing 12" behind the back of my head, chain smoking. "I know what's wrong! It's fu(ked up!" He says this 50 times while I turn green from the smoke. I've asked him for a bit of space. He doesn't seem to understand. I bump him now & again in the face with my elbow.

I mentioned to his boss, I haven't been here for a middle of the night call except when he is pushing buttons in over a year. And yes it takes longer to figure out with him distracting. His comment isn't funny the first time, by the 50th time at 1:00 AM it gets old! I haven't seen him this winter.

Why do people feel the need to force smoke on non smokers. If you choose to smoke, fine. You could & should step a few feet away from me.
    And I don't understand why I have to walk all day on a carpet of your discarded butts? Couldn't you throw them in a pile I could walk around?

And yes, I understand it is your right. But, when we have to work 2 feet apart, or when there is NO reason we have to be 2 feet apart, but you can't seem to step 5 feet away, why do you presume to force it on me?

I grew up in an age where there typically were 10 people on a job, 9 smokers & me. I don't remember any of them ever being as pushy about being up in my face with their cigarettes.

Post Thanks / Like

Bingo. They have a smoking ban in the shop I work, and I got chewed for smoking next to an ineffective exhaust fan. They are all worried about cig smoke but dont bat an eye to us breathing the aluminum oxide fumes permeating the whole area.
    Last edited by Yarply; 11-26-2023 at 06:16 PM. Reason: bad grammar

3. Likes Freebirdwelds liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Post deleted because my other reply posted and I didnt realize it. New to the site.
    Last edited by Yarply; 11-26-2023 at 06:15 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

What's really annoying is people smoking outside of stores and especially restaurants where you have to walk past or through them. Some of these inconsiderate jerks are right outside the door.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Welder Dave View Post
    What's really annoying is people smoking outside of stores and especially restaurants where you have to walk past or through them. Some of these inconsiderate jerks are right outside the door.
    We have a WALMART that is close to the city of Roanoke VA,,
    They should rename the store CANNABIS-MART,,
    You can not go in the store, and not come out wreaking of the odor of weed,,

I never noticed anyone smoking in the store,, maybe the store has so much negative pressure from ventilation, the smoke gets sucked in the entrances.

I never go to that WALMART anymore,, plus, the store is also noted for having the most crime,,
    Hmmm,, go figure, LOTS of crime and LOTS of weed,, is there a connection??

Post Thanks / Like

Ain't that the truth.
    Waiting for my daughter to pick me up outside the hospital Friday morning, there were at least three people smoking by the main door and it stunk, and I used to smoke.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mikecwik View Post
    In just about any shop I would think cigarette smoke would be the very least of your worries as to what you breath in. You breath that is for maybe a couple minutes a day while the rest of the stuff is 8 hours.
    I disagree. When multiple people smoke (or one, close by) the "second hand" smoke can get really thick and is breathed by everyone there. Particulate matter can be filtered out, smoke can't; requires chemical adsorption masks.
    I'll refrain from telling my own old stories about avoiding "office smoke", which were more difficult as mine predated the smoking laws.

Quote Originally Posted by WorldPowerLabs View Post
    I have a friend who smoked heavily for many years (he's since gotten married and quit at the wife's insistence). He is a bit of an audiophile and about twice a year, he'd drop off a piece of stereo equipment for me to fix. The stuff was always filthy with cigarette tar. Fully half of the problems were caused by that tar getting into switches and controls... I bought a benchtop power supply once -- Raytheon one right out of the early 1970s. I thought it was an avocado green color, until I removed PCB from the housing and washed the latter. Then, I realized it was painted metallic silver, and the greenish tint was tobacco tar.

I also once lived in a rental house where the previous tenant had told the landlords that his "friends" would "occasionally" smoke. Truth was, he himself smoked like a chimney. You could clean a wall 4 times and still see it bleeding tar in the humid weather. We ended up repainting a couple of rooms with stain-blocking paint, and even in those, the stains bled through again in a couple of places. Took a good year before the smell dissipated, too.

If you want to smoke, I really don't have a problem with that -- just don't do it in my house or near flammables in the shop. However, I'll never start myself.
    Ben
    When doing wet-chemistry drug analyses of bodily fluids including blood, the extracts from heavy smokers can look like fresh, soft road tar. The crap from druggies can be worse, partly 'cause most smoke too. On rare occasion, "second hand" smoke does cause similar effects.

Quote Originally Posted by Insaneride View Post
    Those cigarette loads got me in trouble with my grandfather.
    Try a horse hair instead, it may help somebody to quit.
    Marijauna is pungent but doesnt smell as bad as cigs IMO.
    But marijuana causes detectable changes in brain structure and functioning, and smell is subjective. I actually find fresh cigarette smoke, when very dilute and in a cool, moist environment such as a creek bed, to be interesting and enjoyable. Doesn't mean I'd ever smoke though.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarply View Post
    Bingo. They have a smoking ban in the shop I work, and I got chewed for smoking next to an ineffective exhaust fan. They are all worried about cig smoke but dont bat an eye to us breathing the aluminum oxide fumes permeating the whole area.
    'Interesting first post', resurrecting a very old thread....

I bet the smoking violates posted rules, and possibly workplace laws these days, so is actionable now.
    If you can document the "fumes", maybe research good control methods and bring all the information to the attention of the managers/owners, explaining it could save future problems?

9. Likes Lis2323 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's all relative. You think those kids hunkered down in a bunker somewhere in Ukraine give a damn about second hand smoke?

I remember some news commentator saying that he hoped that some kids Mother didn't see him smoking on a clip shot in Iraq during the war. Hell smoke was the least of his problems.

11. Likes CAVEMANN liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist